Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1958 720 diesel pony motor tractor, and need to know if this John Deere is positive, or negative ground. Can someone tell me? I have talked to 5 dealers, and have received 5 answers, which is strange, as there is only one answer--it is either positive ground, or negative ground.Help please.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I have a 1958 720 diesel pony motor tractor, and need to know if this John Deere is positive, or negative ground. Can someone tell me? I have talked to 5 dealers, and have received 5 answers, which is strange, as there is only one answer--it is either positive ground, or negative ground.Help please.
I believe this question was brought up previously. Over the years the tractor has probably been worked on by several people.
Are you asking if it is supposed to be Positive or Negative Ground or what is is currently?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
John Deere720 diesel positive or negative groud.

The tractor has not run for 20 years. I installed a 6 volt battery, ground to positive side of battery. I got a discharge on the ammeter. The starter for the pony motor does not operate however, and believe I have a wiring problem. Some of the wires are in bad condition. I hope I am write, in using a positive ground on this tractor.

·
Premium Member
10,726 Posts
TractorData is showing positive ground for a 12V system (2 x 6V batteries).

·
Registered
11,286 Posts
TractorData is showing positive ground for a 12V system (2 x 6V batteries).
Are you sure that's not for a 720 gas? I don't know about the pony electrical ground, but if I recall, it only uses one six volt battery.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
All JD tractors with a generator came with battery attached positive ground from the factory with the exception of the 24 volt electrical systems which had no actual ground on generator/regulator. HTH's,Jim

·
Registered
11,286 Posts
All JD tractors with a generator came with battery attached positive ground from the factory with the exception of the 24 volt electrical systems which had no actual ground on generator/regulator. HTH's,Jim
That sounds like an answer from Mr. Thinker in Green Magazine.:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Horsethief Positive or negative ground

John Deere Service Manual SM2020, page 40-20-1 reads: ......connect a battery to it--positive post to a good ground on the engine and the negative post to the cranking motor switch terminal. This answers the question for the 720 Diesel tractor, pony motor. This is a positive ground system.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts