Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forums. I have a 2001 yr 7210 cab tractor 9800 hrs on it . The PTO suddenly started acting up. It will run for several hours then shut off, after a quick cool down it will work for a while then quit working . If i let it set for about 5 to 10 minutes it will work again. I noticed the PTO solenoid was getting pretty warm, changed the solenoid but same results. Any one experience suck problems with the same issues with this model of tractor or similar tractors. Its a 2 wheel drive. Tnx for any replies.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Welcome to GTT
My knowledge of JD tractors built after '92 is very limited. Seeing that you replaced the pto control solenoid to no avail I'll guess that the pto speed sensor is at fault. Are no codes displaced on instrument panel?

·
Premium Member
7,930 Posts
Maybe internal leakage of the PTO valve causing heat and the problem? :dunno:

·
Registered
971 Posts
When it quits running, can you turn it on immediately? Will it run for a short time and then quit? If it runs for a short time, check the tach for the pto to see if it displays speed. If the BCU does not see rpm, it will shut down the pto. It is possible for speed sensor to work for a while and then quit. PTO switch could be going bad, BCU controller can be going bad, and also can have mechanical issues. What are you running with pto? Heavy load or light load? Do you notice buzzing noise when it stops turning? Are you running 540 or 1000 rpm shaft?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes i can restart it immediately after it quits but runs for a few seconds then quits. Called parts man and he said that its most likely the pto speed sensor, was a common problem with that series tractor.
got one coming, only 65 bucks from JD , price was a shock, im ust to higher parts prices for JDs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
What does BCU stand for? No i cant hear buzzing when it quits probably couldnt hear chain saw running next to the tractor with hearing loss over the years and ear plugs in lol. Funny how it will run for a couple of hours then it acts up . After a short stop for about 5 or 10 minutes will run for about 15 minutes then quits again. Im currrently mowing cotton stalks but do brush work mostly with the tractor .Running 540 . Will report back after i put pto speed sensor in .

·
Premium Member
7,930 Posts
BCU Body Control Unit? :dunno:

ON my 6415 ground speed sensor is same P/N as PTO speed sensor. I lost ground speed indication, so swapped them to confirm it was the sensor

·
Registered
971 Posts
BCU stands for Basic Control Unit. It is a "computer" control module the has control over many functions including pto. I have seen this part fail in a way that causes pto to shut down intermittently. Most often the culprit is solenoid or speed sensor. It does sound as if it is electrical and not mechanical. I know you have replaced the solenoid, but I would still test it with an ohmmeter. Disconnect the wire and connect the test leads to the solenoid terminals. Should be 8 - 12 ohms resistance. If it checks good while cold, check it again when warm after it quits.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
BCU stands for Basic Control Unit. It is a "computer" control module the has control over many functions including pto. I have seen this part fail in a way that causes pto to shut down intermittently. Most often the culprit is solenoid or speed sensor. It does sound as if it is electrical and not mechanical. I know you have replaced the solenoid, but I would still test it with an ohmmeter. Disconnect the wire and connect the test leads to the solenoid terminals. Should be 8 - 12 ohms resistance. If it checks good while cold, check it again when warm after it quits.
Found the problem. It was the PTO speed sensor. Thanks to knowledge from savy parts guy.

·
Premium Member
7,930 Posts
Found the problem. It was the PTO speed sensor. Thanks to knowledge from savy parts guy.
TxJim in his first reply, said PTO speed sensor.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts