Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I'm new to the John Deere world but just got a 1997 755 hydrostat 4wd. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if the pto is supposed to go right into gear with no easing into it. This is my first hydrostat w/o a clutch. I've tried pushing the lever up real easy but it doesn't make any difference. It kills the motor every time unless I have it wound up and just bump it slowly a few times until the bush hog blades start spinning a little, then I can get it into gear and keep running. Is this normal? or do I need to take it in and get it checked out?
Any advice would be appreciated.

Bob Boomershine

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
:wgtt:

We have an 855,, and the pto just engages,, no issues, but, we are only running a rear finish mower,,

it is entirely possible that your bush hog has too much inertia to simply be engaged,,,
so, all may be well,,,

I even go through an "engage routine" with my 50HP tractor,, when a heavy mass has to start turning,,,

Good luck with your tractor,,,:good2:

·
Premium Member
6,371 Posts
That sounds normal. They are a lot of mass to get going.

Reactions: etcallhome

·
Premium Member
15,389 Posts
Welcome from Preston County, West Virginia

:wgtt:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Welcome!

On my 655 (little less horse than yours) I usually have to engage implements that draw more power (finish mower comes to mind) at WOT. When I took delivery of my tractor in 1986, the dealer simply dropped it off at my house. Got on the machine and went to go mow - machine stalled when trying to engage my MMM. Called the dealer - he said on the smaller 55 series just wind it up and then engage the PTO.

Now that my machine is older, I try to baby it by engaging what I can at an idle and then open it up. Hope this helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
482 Posts
How big of a mower? Are you setting the engine to PTO speed first?

On my 855 with a 4' brush mower I just set the RPMs to PTO speed and raised the PTO handle. It would engage and spin the mower up with no problem.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The 755 has an electrically actuated hydraulic clutch on the PTO. So there is no “easing the lever”. The hydraulic clutch will ease the engagement somewhat, but the rpm does need to be elevated above idle. The load will determine how much above idle. There is also a PTO brake that will quickly stop the shaft rotation when the lever is shut off.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts