Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum having recently acquired an old JD 755. It was running fine and I had just finished harrowing a small 1/2 acre paddock when it suddenly cut out and won't start up again. When I turn the key it fires up and then immediately cuts out. My first thought is it must be a fuel issue. If there was air in the system would the engine even fire up at all or would it just crank? This engine definitely fires up but then dies right away as if it is starved of fuel. Any advice on how to troubleshoot this problem would be appreciated.

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
Very Unpredictable Disposition
14,583 Posts
If there is an inadequate supply of fuel within the pump, it will start, then die. It needs to have an adequate supply to continue running.

Check fuel supply from the tank to the filter.

Check fuel supply from the filter to the pump.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks flyweight.

If I start disconnecting fuel lines im obviously going to have to bleed the system. Is the whole system gravity fed and just a question of undoing bleed screws from filter to pump and then injectors if necessary, or is there a lift pump/electric pump somewhere to push the fuel around?

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
14,583 Posts
Gravity fed.

Some models have a bleed screw at the top of the fuel filter housing(blue circle)(also see red arrow in second pic). Yours may or may not have it. If not, disconnect the fuel line(#11) between the fuel filter and the injection pump, or back off on bleed screw(#13) at injection pump. The injection pump bleed screw is in the lower pic(white arrow).

Make sure to begin with a full fuel tank.
Make sure the fuel filter has a good flow through it. If not, replace it.
Back off on the injection pump bleed screw to allow fuel flow to purge air from the line.
Once fuel is flowing, tighten the bleed screw.

Back off on the nuts(24, 25 & 25) at the injectors(green circle in top pic).
Crank engine over until fuel flows from the injector lines. Note: Do not crank engine over more than 10 seconds at a time. This may damage starter.

Once fuel is flowing from injector lines, tighten nuts.
This may need to be performed more than once.

Once the engine cranks and runs on it's own, allow it the idle while backing off each injector line nut, one at a time. This will bleed any residual air from the system.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow thanks for such a detailed set of instructions, I will follow them to the letter.

My fuel filter assembly looks identical to your photo, right down to the cable tie except mine is black 😂

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My tractor also has what looks like an electric fuel pump. I could be wrong but it sits between the fuel filter and the actual diesel pump and has a black and red wire going into it. If this is defective can it simply be removed and run the fuel line directly from the filter to the diesel pump?

Attachments

·
Registered
12,438 Posts
It sounds like the hold function of the fuel solenoid has failed, it pulls in and releases a couple seconds later when this happens.

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
14,583 Posts
rydplrs is right.
I forgot about the fuel solenoid.
I do believe the European models had a electric fuel pump.

The pump in the photo you posted should be making a ticking sound when the key switch is in the ON position.

·
Registered
12,438 Posts
You can replace it with a manual cable, but the solenoid from Deere isn’t ridiculously priced. I bought one a couple months ago.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok cheers, looks like its around £20. Any idea what causes them to break? Ive only had this tractor a few weeks and the solenoid thats on it looks brand new. Im reluctant to put a new one on until I know the root cause.

·
Registered
12,438 Posts
That’s an aftermarket price, and that’s why it only lasted a few minutes

·
Registered
45 Posts

Your problem definitely sounds like the solenoid which I've circled in the pic. Luckily troubleshooting is very easy - you can have somone start the tractor and you will see it physically move the shutoff lever...if it doesn't stay in the open position then there's your problem. Sometimes those solenoids are CRAZY expensive (my only experience is with a diesel motorhome/cummins engine) but you can use a ziptie or wire or whatever to hold it open and then disconnect when you want to kill the engine.

Reactions: Ric D

·
Registered
12,438 Posts
Part number AM124377

$120 USD

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
View attachment 786051

Your problem definitely sounds like the solenoid which I've circled in the pic. Luckily troubleshooting is very easy - you can have somone start the tractor and you will see it physically move the shutoff lever...if it doesn't stay in the open position then there's your problem. Sometimes those solenoids are CRAZY expensive (my only experience is with a diesel motorhome/cummins engine) but you can use a ziptie or wire or whatever to hold it open and then disconnect when you want to kill the engine.
You are absolutely right mate, I pushed the plunger in with my finger and the engine continued to run and when I let go it cut out. The part number label has rubbed off so I dont know how much a replacement will cost yet - perhaps I will have to use the cable tie technique. Cheers for troubleshooting my problem and helping me to understand the difference between a fuel solenoid and a fuel pump (y)

·
Registered
695 Posts
You are absolutely right mate, I pushed the plunger in with my finger and the engine continued to run and when I let go it cut out. The part number label has rubbed off so I dont know how much a replacement will cost yet - perhaps I will have to use the cable tie technique. Cheers for troubleshooting my problem and helping me to understand the difference between a fuel solenoid and a fuel pump (y)
The solenoid is also what STOPS it from running. If you cable tie it in you will have to cut the tie each time to shut it off.

The one on my 855 got sticky and I was able to get it working with some WD-40 and exercising it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts