Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all I'm new here and thanks for any help you can spare. I have a 1996 JD 770 tractor with a 70 series loader on it. Nice little tractor for me here in Maine, it does every thing I need it too do. My question is how to install or design a way to operate a hydraulic Splitfire wood splitter set up on my 3 point hitch. The horizontal splitter has it's own 2 way hydraulic valve, as the wedge splits in both directions. The splitter project was to help split wood for a friends campground. I bought the John Deere rear mount hydraulic hose outlet kit. Installed it all, hooked up the splitter and you know what happened next...but I didn't until the system didn't work the way I thought it would. Oh I can operate the two valve set up with two people but that's not what I want to do just to split wood.. So there you have it....the "1" issue... and I don't know enough about the hydraulic pump and lines to go furhter with out advice. My dad always taught to me to try first but said "rastus there are a 100 ways to do something, 99 of them are relatively easy and the 1 that's the hardest, that's the way you're going to do it.". I still smile about my dad and that saying at 68. So any advice out there I could use your help.

·
Super Moderator
6,365 Posts
The rear mounted hydraulic outlet isn't going to help you.

You need one of three possible solutions. You need either:

a.) an SCV with a "continuous flow" (which your 770 doesn't have) or
b.) a Power Beyond port (which would also have continuous flow...) The Deere part # is BM18005 for your machine. It's an optional kit so...
c.) a completely separate hydraulic system with it's own tank and a PTO driven pump.

Instead you now have a rear outlet with "flow when the SCV is activated" and then you have to activate a 2nd control for the splitter itself.

Reactions: rtgt

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jim,
I think I'll price out the BM18005 kit and proceed in that direction. Only wish the JD sales dude had led me in that direction first. But then again that's how you learn and at least there is a kit to use. Thanks again, later Rastus

·
Administrator
21,040 Posts
With the rear kit you added, can't you just bungee the joystick to provide continuous flow?

But, the splitter may operate very slow.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kennyd,
Thanks for your reply. The set up I have installed with the split fire unit requires both the joystick and the splitter lever to be worked at the same time...right then left on the joystick and forward and reverse on the splitter in uni some. Wouldn't be so bad with the bungee set up on tractor in one position but alas it doesn't work that way. It now takes two operators or one person doing a lot of switching around with little wood being processed. It does work but not the way I want it to. Now I've found out, at least preliminarily, the JD BM18005 kit maybe obsolete. What does anyone know about that? Thanks, Rastus

·
Administrator
21,040 Posts
Can you post pictures of what you have?
Holding the joystick over will provide constant flow of oil.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm trying to put together the parts for the "power beyond" / rear hydraulics kit for my newly acquired 770 since the BM18005 kit isn't available anymore from JD. So, just reviving this thread so it can be documented for anyone else trying to do the same.
I have no idea where to acquire those PNs separately for those individual parts.

Any help is appreciated.

I searched and see them at link above.

[Number identified on JD parts diagram], [Description], [Qty]

1. Gasket, M800848 (6)
2. Hollow Screen, M800853 (3)
3. Cap Screw, 19M7139 (1)
4. Washer, 24M7055 (1)
5. Clamp, M803846 (1)
6. Line, AM876917 (1)
7. Line, AM876919 (1)
8. Line, AM876918 (1)
9. Pipe Plug 1/4", 15H275 (1)
10(a). Nut M8, 14M7273 (1)
10(b). Lock washer, 12M7065 (1)
11. O-Ring, R26375 (2)
12. O-Ring, T77857 (3)
13. Label, M72810 (1)
14. Bracket, AM105469 (1)
15. Washer, 24M7051 (1)
16. Nut, T78716 (1)
17. Snap Ring, M42702 (1)
18. Hydraulic female coupler, AM105466 (1)
19. Hydraulic male coupler, AM105467 (1)
20. Hydraulic hose, AM105465 (1)

$610.94

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have the same JD 770 tractor with the installed "Power Beyond" kit that is used for the model 7 Backhoe.

Whenever I see the parts online and above 'Add To Cart" it says "See Your Dealer", it is more than likely not available anymore or takes forever to get them in if possible. Better off trying to fine a used or wrecked tractor to take the parts from.

·
Registered
1989 770
15 Posts
I'm trying to put together the parts for the "power beyond" / rear hydraulics kit for my newly acquired 770 since the BM18005 kit isn't available anymore from JD. So, just reviving this thread so it can be documented for anyone else trying to do the same.
I have no idea where to acquire those PNs separately for those individual parts.

Any help is appreciated.

I searched and see them at link above.

[Number identified on JD parts diagram], [Description], [Qty]

1. Gasket, M800848 (6)
2. Hollow Screen, M800853 (3)
3. Cap Screw, 19M7139 (1)
4. Washer, 24M7055 (1)
5. Clamp, M803846 (1)
6. Line, AM876917 (1)
7. Line, AM876919 (1)
8. Line, AM876918 (1)
9. Pipe Plug 1/4", 15H275 (1)
10(a). Nut M8, 14M7273 (1)
10(b). Lock washer, 12M7065 (1)
11. O-Ring, R26375 (2)
12. O-Ring, T77857 (3)
13. Label, M72810 (1)
14. Bracket, AM105469 (1)
15. Washer, 24M7051 (1)
16. Nut, T78716 (1)
17. Snap Ring, M42702 (1)
18. Hydraulic female coupler, AM105466 (1)
19. Hydraulic male coupler, AM105467 (1)
20. Hydraulic hose, AM105465 (1)

$610.94
How did this go?

·
Administrator
21,040 Posts
How did this go?
Good luck getting a response, neither poster have been back for a long time. Got what they needed an split...not even a thanks 👎

·
Registered
1989 770
15 Posts
Man, I've got everything added to a cart now. The crazy thing is that there's about $50 worth of small parts and the rest of the cost is in over-priced lines. One of the lines is $440 alone! There's got to be an alternative. In an alternate dimension without JD pricing this is about $200 worth of stuff.

·
Administrator
21,040 Posts
Use hoses rather than hardlines.

Reactions: SRG

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
I agree with Kenny.
Pull out the fittings where the PB hardlines would attach at the loader valve, figure out what threads they are, and just use aftermarket fittings and hoses instead.
If I were to do my rear hydraulic setup again, I would go this route too.

Reactions: Kennyd

·
Registered
65 Posts
My 89' 770 has the factory kit installed from new. If their are components you want to see up close, just let me know.
Tractor is currently in VA right now but will be heading there in a day or two. I'll have access to it on Saturday and Sunday before loading the tractor back up to head back home to PA.

·
Registered
1989 770
15 Posts
I didn't receive notice that anyone had replied. Glad I checked back. Thank you for the replies.

After considering it more, this is exactly what I've decided to do. I just need to figure out where to connect now.

My 89' 770 has the factory kit installed from new. If their are components you want to see up close, just let me know.
Tractor is currently in VA right now but will be heading there in a day or two. I'll have access to it on Saturday and Sunday before loading the tractor back up to head back home to PA.
I'd very much love to see pics of exactly what lines were added and where they were added, please!

·
Registered
1989 770
15 Posts
So one thing I'm a little confused about ... rear hydraulics = power beyond? And how does this relate to a possible third FEL function sometime in the future? Would I tie that in to the rear power beyond if I decided to do that eventually?

·
Registered
1989 770
15 Posts
So here's a pic of the JDParts rear hydraulic kit.:

Organism Font Circle Art Auto part

I need to confirm this, but I don't think all 3 lines in the kit are used. My theory is that #6 is the return line in both tractors with and without an SCV and that #7 is the supply line for tractors with the SCV and #8 is the supply line for tractors without the SCV.

Here's a pic from my service manual of the rear hydro kit without the SCV. You can see that only two lines are added and the supply line looks like #8 above.

Font Parallel Slope Auto part Diagram

And here that same pic only with the SCV, again, only two lines added and the supply line appears to be #7 above:

Font Art Line art Drawing Parallel

Can anyone confirm this?

·
Administrator
21,040 Posts
So one thing I'm a little confused about ... rear hydraulics = power beyond? And how does this relate to a possible third FEL function sometime in the future? Would I tie that in to the rear power beyond if I decided to do that eventually?
PB is just a "loop" that has the full flow of the the pumps output anytime its running, you can insert into the "loop" a solenoid valve to use as a 3rd function up on the loader, this is exactly what the WR Long kits do, and well as some of the OEM offerings JD now has. You can also use it power things that have their own valves like log splitters and backhoes.

Often when people say "rear hydraulics" they mean a valve(s) that can be used to operate cylinders, like for a TnT setup, an angle cylinder on a blade, etc.

Reactions: hephaestus

·
Registered
1989 770
15 Posts
Here's photos of my 1989 770 rear hydraulic outlet w/ SCV.
Thank you. If you ever pull the sheet metal and can get at the front of the SCV, shoot me a pic of what ports those lines attach to, please.

I've been looking closely at mine and the ports appear to be on the front of the SCV where it's impossible to see without removing the sheet metal. I'm going to have to devote some time to doing that and getting fitting sizes before I can start ordering parts.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts