Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright I don't know where to begin.. to start off whey when I'm running my 212 with the the mower deck on will it start to ... (rev up and down)? I can cruise around all day long at full throttle and be in any gear... but once i actuate the pto and start running the mower deck it seems as if there is to much drag on the engine. and it gets un happy and the only way i can make it run good while cutting grass is if i back down throttle to like 1/2 or maybe a little below but then at that rate it barley will cut the grass do to low rpm.. idk high speed setting on carb? which is it?

Also, as I was cutting the grass and the engine was doing its thing i happen to notice that it really seamed to be not cutting so i looked under and noticed that my brand new belt was ripped to shreds. and I don't know why? below is a pic of the deck that i cant find any info on! can you? let me know. first picture will be the serial number on the deck from JD second pic will be the belt when it was shredded. 3rd pic will be with a older belt that was on before i changed it. and 4th pic will be my serial # for the 212 itself.

I marked what I think is how the belt is ran around the pullies on the deck itself check it out? am i right? it seems like it wants to rub on itself near the middle pulley there? why is it so close? i cannot find any info on this deck on google. there are simmilar once but i cant find info on this one! for like parts and stuff!

thanks for any help guys!

20210603_193153.jpg
20210603_190107.jpg
20210603_191541.jpg
20210603_193208.jpg

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I am pretty sure that deck is much newer than your 212 and is not a direct fit.
For the throttle problems it seems as if it’s your governor out of adjustment. You should be able to find the service manual online for free that will give you the specs for governor and carb settings.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Are you sure you got the right deck belt? There are two 38" decks that will work with your tractor, the newer two blade deck you currently have, and a older three blade deck.

·
Registered
12,685 Posts
I am pretty sure that deck is much newer than your 212 and is not a direct fit.
For the throttle problems it seems as if it’s your governor out of adjustment. You should be able to find the service manual online for free that will give you the specs for governor and carb settings.
There were 38’s with metal belt covers made for 212’s. I don’t know if it started before 87 but they made them for the 300 series, and had retrofits to all the older square fenders.

The 39 3-blade is something I’ve never seen on a late 200 series. There very well may have been a transition before the 200 series ended.

·
Registered
12,685 Posts
I’m betting a bearing is bad on the deck, or in the mule drive.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are you sure you got the right deck belt? There are two 38" decks that will work with your tractor, the newer two blade deck you currently have, and a older three blade deck.
im pretty sure it was the right belt. where would i be able to find the difference between the 2 of them? does that maybe explain the routing? or how close them belts are near that center pulley? in the photo? i just cant find info using the decks serial number and i dont know why

·
Registered
12,685 Posts
The 3 blade is model 39, the 2 blade is a model 38.

Jdparts shows both if you start with 212’s.

·
Registered
455 Posts
On the surging issue, if your carb is the Kohler or Carter model, turn the top mixture screw out (counter clockwise) about 1/8 of a turn to richen the mixture. If the engine still runs well with no load, then try the mower. Not a good idea to try to adjust the carb with the deck running. Your feet will thank you for years to come.
If no change with the deck running, try another 1/8 turn out. Let us know what it does. You may have to go through the governor and linkage settings, but try the easy things first.

tommyhawk

·
Premium Member
17,403 Posts
One more thing I would check ,,to see if one of the spindles are hanging up, since he has to replace the mower belt.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
On the surging issue, if your carb is the Kohler or Carter model, turn the top mixture screw out (counter clockwise) about 1/8 of a turn to richen the mixture. If the engine still runs well with no load, then try the mower. Not a good idea to try to adjust the carb with the deck running. Your feet will thank you for years to come.
If no change with the deck running, try another 1/8 turn out. Let us know what it does. You may have to go through the governor and linkage settings, but try the easy things first.

tommyhawk
alright i will give that try as well. and i agree on the not good idea thing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts