Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day, I purchased a 790 with a frame-mounted backhoe (Model 7) and unfortunately it did not come with a 3 pt hitch. I'm trying to buy a used three pt hitch but not having much luck. There are a few after market hitches available but I'm not sure what size lift arms or side links I would need. Can anyone with a factory set-up provide the sizes (lenght) of these parts? Thanks for you help.

Attachments

·
Registered
995 Posts
Should just be Category 1 dimensions.
I would think something like this setup would work just fine....

JOHN DEERE 870 3 POINT LIFT Hitch ASSEMBLY 970 1070 | eBay

If someone that owns a 790 can take measurements for you, I can measure my 870's links and then you'll know for sure if that EBAY setup would work out.
BTW, the crank setup for tilting an implement, on the 870, is super convenient.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks SRG, I checked the part numbers (lift links) for the 870 versus 790 and they are different; however, like you have stated they are both Cat 1, and should be interchangeable. The tractors look similar. Need to confirm before I spend the bucks. Thanks for the quick reply. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
995 Posts
No problem.
The 870 is a slightly larger machine, overall, but only by 1 series.
The only thing that stands out to me, is the location of the stabilizer links.
On the 870, they are behind the vertical link arms, and on the 790, they are in front. So depending on where the tie into the axle, would determine if the stabilizers would bind/touch/interfere, with where the vertical links attach to the lower arms.

·
Administrator
18,819 Posts
There are a few owners of 790's here...be patient grasshopper :laugh:

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
If I don’t get back out to the shop tonight I’ll get them for you tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Atlantahank, on my 790 the side link measures 19 inches from the center of the hole to the center of the hole where it is attached. That is the fixed side.

On the lower lift arm, following the lift arm curve, it measures 26 1/2 inches from hole to hole.

I bought the tractor used, but it all looks original.

Reactions: jdmich

·
Registered
6,093 Posts
another measurement

Atlantahank, on my 790 the side link measures 19 inches from the center of the hole to the center of the hole where it is attached. That is the fixed side.

On the lower lift arm, following the lift arm curve, it measures 26 1/2 inches from hole to hole.

I bought the tractor used, but it all looks original.
I took quick measurements off mine and got 18 and 25 but I was using a 100' tape and might have not used the correct "0". If I was an inch off it would correlate with above.

Did you try the various used tractor parts sites on the internet? I bought the drawbar for my 790 from one and it was about 1/3 of the cost of JD and it was a new old stock drawbar.

Agrisupply and Tractor Supply sell generic lift arms as well.

Treefarmer

Reactions: goat704!

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
Couple pics if it helps. Straight measurement of bottom arms threw vertical links was 26” center of pin to center of pin on back blade. Vertical, center of pin to center I also got 19”. Tried to measure how you had your pic drawn.

Attachments

·
Registered
995 Posts
Measured my 870's links as well.
Vertical links are 19" hole to hole. They pin through the lower lift arm @ 15-1/2" out from the lower arm pivot pin.
Lower arms are 30" hole to hole, measured straight thru the vertical link, like pictured above.
The upper lift arm (rock shaft arm), is 11-1/2" hole to hole.

Took a pic to show the angle of the stabilizer link and where it attaches to the axle/ROPS plate....

Looking at jdmich's pics above, the placement of the stabilizer links on the axle side, is more in board than the 870. And the vertical link looks to pin in the lower arm at about the 12" mark. So if the 870 parts were used, you would lose some leverage with the vertical links attached at a more severe angle, then it would be amplified slightly more due to the longer lower arms.

I don't think the 870 links would allow full benefits of the 3pt, when mounted on a smaller 790.
I tried

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks

Thanks to everyone, the information was very helpful. I did find a used 3pt hitch minus the top link for 700 + 75 shipping. I may have to go that route; it's off a 790 unit so I know it will work. :clapping:

·
Registered
6,093 Posts
All States Ag Tractor Parts

If you haven't tried All States Tractor Parts it might be worth a call: Lift Arms pins bushings tractor Parts They do have things on the lot that haven't made the website yet.

$700 for the parts seems high but then everything seems high to me.

Treefarmer

1 - 12 of 12 Posts