Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering how many of us here own 790/3005 model tractors.

Here is a few shots of what I do with mine.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Spudland_Dave:wink:

Yep, thats an old JD "crowfoot" packer. Got a 3 section unit, tractor hitch set up from the neighbor, two 3 foot outside packers and a four footer center packer.

Pulled up a parts blow-up on http://www.jdparts.com for them even being fifty some years old:thumbup1gif:

I've disassembled since that pic was taken, one of the 3 foot packers and the four footer and made a 5 footer from pieces of both to get better coverage of the 4 to 5 foot implements the packer get pulled behind, 4' tiller, 5' round harrow, 5' cultivator.

·
Registered
733 Posts
How do you like it? I've been wanting to fab up a Rolling basket to go behind my tiller, but its one of those projects i've never gotten around to...Got more pics of that setup? I'd like to see how you mounted it to your tiller.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is one of those work in progress deals.... but here is a few more pics.

I like the firming action and texture of the 'crowfoot' leaves compared to my old "soil pulverizer" when pulled behind the tiller.

Just been using a regular hitch pin set up to mount it to the tiller.... Had other ideas of mouting it to the tiller, but simple is getting the job done for now:grin:

The pic on the left is the five foot packer, the other two picks are of the three footer.

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks JD4300...

Almost didn't want to carve up two packers to make one five foot packer.... But it worked out rather good, ended up with spare wood axle bearings, extra packer wheels and some extra angle iron.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here is another "old but not retired" implement I pull with the 790...

Ol' no.15...... As in JD model no.15 sub-soiler.

It has the old 'trip lift and depth regulator wheel mechanism....

It has its own ideas when I use it, mostly ornery ones.... but it still works.

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thanks jd4300:)

The little trees in the pic are blue spruce, four acres worth. I Have blue spruce from smaller than the ones in that pic into the teens' in feet height:grin:

Older farm equipment seems to be sized pretty good for todays compact tractors, and often handed down or can be had for prices that are very good.... Alot of old iron around this area vanished to the high scrap iron prices a little while back sadly....

Heck if it was not for older iron, or even pieces of, I would have very few implements.....

·
Registered
190 Posts
Just ordered min

I ordered my 3005 two weeks ago. It should be here just after Christmas. It will come with a 300 loader and ballast box. Dealer is installing a block heater and battery blanket. I notice yours is in Idaho. How does it handle cold winter weather? When I pick mine up from the dealer I know it will be indoors and warm. I'm thinking about loading it on the trailer and leaving it running when I drive the 25 miles home. When I get home I can drive it off the trailer and into the barn. Should I let a brand new engine idle for that long or should I just shut it down and fire it up when I get home. BTW it's 36 below this morning so things will cool quickly when going down the road. Won't be able to play much til spring break up and thing warm.
I'm new to the forum so I'll probably have lots of questions. Any cold weather users with advice BEFORE I make the mistakes?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Welcome to greentractortalk fuel hoser! and congrats on the 3005

The 790 handles cold weather very good well, as long as you can stand sitt'n on it in bitter cold temps:laugh: With the block heater and battery blanket will will most definitely be set. I do not have ether of those extras on mine but it has never failed to start even at -15f below zero with just the manifold heater. But -15f is 'prolly childs play to you up there....

On real cold days or just when ever I plow snow:tongue: After starting the tractor I shift the high/low lever into neutral and then shift the tranny into 4th and let things spin to help hyd/trans oil warm a little. Then after ten or so minutes of warming up, I run the front end loader threw full cycles then use it to lift the front end up a little and turn the steering wheel all the way in both directions. May not be necessary to do all that, just the habit I have got into when the mercury vanishes.

As far as letting the tractor run on the trip home, ask the dealer what they recommend. The first 50-100 hours of a tractor engine is probably the most important hours it will run. Mine went right to work tilling, planting trees, loader work all a varied work load not necessarily "hard" working it but did not baby it neither.... Just got used as intended. It used a little engine oil at the first 50 hours or so but does not use any detectable amount between changes now.

Like you, I bought my 790 early spring and had to wait to really use it.... anticipation was high, but has paid off quite well since then.

·
Registered
190 Posts
3005 is here

I got my 3005 last Thursday (my 51st birthday). It took much less time to get here than anyone expected. My wifes giving me a bad time since I have to go out in the evening and play with my toy. The 3005 has done a nice job clearing all the packed snow I have. Our driveway and parking areas are clear. It is an amazing machine and has more power than I thought it would. I need to install some work lights on the ROPS. The headlights are often covered when using the FEL. Having lights up higher will be much handier. It's about 22 hours of darkness up here now. Definitely need work lights for the winter.:lol:

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Fantastic!

Glad you got her. Sounds like you got it all rolled into one, birthday and Christmas. :mocking: We not only want pics of the machine but the add-on lighting. Don't make us wait to long now.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Early is good, bright lights are better

Good deal. Early is always better when wait'n on new tractor delivery:thumbup1gif:

On the lighting situation the original lights are a bit lacking of well, light. Especially rear work lights:mocking: I have just suffered threw for front facing lighting But, for rear work lights I received a pair of amber tyri brand LED lights for my birthday last spring. VERY bright and well lit work area is always behind me now..... No pics yet, sorry:flag_of_truce:

I must say, LED is my new standard of lighting. With the limited output of the oem alternator of the 790, Adding lights can be an issue with short alternator life. But with LED lighting one can add a lot of lighting before power consumption problems arise.

Have fun move'n snow and stay warm

·
Registered
190 Posts
Pics

I'll try and get pics this weekend. We only have a couple hours of daylight. If it's not cloudy I'll have enough light to get a pic. Next Friday is the shortest day of the year. Then we'll start gaining daylight. I want to get some good pics in the snow so I can put them as my screen saver. Gotta go caribou hunting tommorow. Have a Merry Christmas.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Fuel Hoser, I was reading your post about getting your new 3005. I have a 990(same as the 4005) its little big brother. I couldn't help but think of all the snow I have read that Alaska has been getting. I was wondering how much you have been getting and how has the 3005 been working in those conditions? by the way now that daylight is getting a little longer have you been able to take any pics?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Some pics

It has warmed up and was about 15-20 above zero. I worked like crazy this last weekend. I got about half a roll of pics on my Nikon. When I get them developed they put them on disc as well as giving me pics. I have to take the rest of the roll and get it in. Once their on disc I can load them on the puter. I worked clearing about an acre and a half of snow, tundra, black spruce stumps. I cut all the trees down 4 years ago (1 inch to 4 inch) and the tundra is like thick moss about 8-10" deep. I'm moving the 2 feet of snow then removing the frozen tundra and half rotten stumps. It's slow hard work. My 3005 is doing great. I now have a windrow 300 ft long and as high as the 300 loader will stack it. Amazing machine.
My wife is being nice and let me rent a JD 650 to push the rest of the front 10 acres next weekend. I'll definitely get pics of that. We'll do all the clean up with the 3005. I have found that towing about 4 pallets (tied together) behind a tractor does a tremendous finish job. I'll have a smooth pasture by summer. The snow should melt by the end of April then I'll let things set and thaw til about July/August before planting the first of the pasture mix.
Tractor is great for clearing snow as well. I plan on ordering a rear blade for my tractor this spring. That should help in spreading, moving, etc. Thought about a box blade but I like being able to angle the blade and roll dirt/gravel etc. Should I got 6 ot 7 foot blade on the 3005?

·
Premium Member
7,031 Posts
I bought my 790 2 years ago to replace my old 58-520 & 69-14 w/Johnson loader! I use it mostly for loader work at home & for mowing (both brush cutter & finish), as well as blade & loader work at the farm about 30 miles from home. Quite a bit of brush work there & caring for a dirt road that the township won't do. The 790 is handier to haul back & forth than the 520 & a good size for my needs.

It is an '04 & had 385 hrs on it when I got it, was set up just like I wanted & even had a 5' Woods finish mower in the deal. I gave $11,500 for the package off CL.

Here is a thread on some of my attachments: http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?3500-My-790-Attachments&p=29378#post29378

Attachments

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
I had one when they first came out for under a year. Bought the house, got the tractor, decided I wanted to be somewhere else and sold the tractor with the house. I wish I hadn't, they are awesome machines and built to last a lifetime:good2:

·
Registered
190 Posts
Spring tractor use time

It is getting above freezing during the days now and back down to single digits at night. I've been running my 3005 a good bit removing hard pack snow from peoples driveways. That work will only last a short while but I've made enough money doing it to pay for a new box blade and a set of forks. I'll be ordering them on Friday. Prices are outrageous up here due to shipping. The forks will run me $1085 and the box blade right at $1000. Here's a pic of one of my weekend projects. Hope it works (first time trying to upload a pic)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts