Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Interesting day. Spent the morning replacing a driver's side window in my pickup because some dummy let his string trimmer throw a rock into it. Then I talked with my brother who let me know the 790 has a leaking front axle. Hopefully it's just a seal- I'll get a seal, gasket and sleeve on hand before tearing into it. Hope it's not a gear, but might also get bearings to have on hand.

Front axle breakdown.JPG

Oh, and there's a tornado watch in the area as well.

I think I like boring days better. . .

Treefarmer

·
Registered
904 Posts
When it rains!

Leaking axle is a common issue on the 790 isn't it?

·
Registered
5,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure

When it rains!

Leaking axle is a common issue on the 790 isn't it?
I'm not sure. I did a quick but not exhaustive search on GTT and found lots of other models with similar issues but didn't specifically see anything on the 790. There may be threads on it that I missed.

I'll know more once I'm in it but given the relatively low lift capacity of the 300 loader which comparatively speaking should not put a lot of strain on the axle, I'm hoping it's just a bad seal. That's a PITA due to time but not terribly expensive. If it get's into the shaft or gears, it's going to get expensive pretty quickly. Either way, since it's been tight as long as I've owned it and now leaks, I need to know what's going on.

If the dealer is open today, I'll order the basic parts so they are available when I get time to tackle it.

Treefarmer

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
Interesting day. Spent the morning replacing a driver's side window in my pickup because some dummy let his string trimmer throw a rock into it. Then I talked with my brother who let me know the 790 has a leaking front axle. Hopefully it's just a seal- I'll get a seal, gasket and sleeve on hand before tearing into it. Hope it's not a gear, but might also get bearings to have on hand.

Oh, and there's a tornado watch in the area as well.

I think I like boring days better. . .

Treefarmer

On my front final drives you have to not only replace the nut, but torque it to over 400 ft-lbs. Just something to be aware of if you didn't know already. Obviously, read the manual because your may be different.

E: never mind, yours has a snap ring that I see looking closer at the diagram.

·
Registered
5,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update

Surprise, surprise the nearest dealer had parts...So this morning, I ran over and picked them up and got everything except gears with the thought I would return what wasn't necessary.

It turned out that the sleeve, part J had some wear. The seal looked pretty good but got replaced as well. Bearings were ok. Hopefully it's fixed, I'll find out tomorrow morning if there's any leak.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
258 Posts
On my front final drives you have to not only replace the nut, but torque it to over 400 ft-lbs. Just something to be aware of if you didn't know already. Obviously, read the manual because your may be different.

E: never mind, yours has a snap ring that I see looking closer at the diagram.

yeah I am finding that hard to believe

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
close enough,...

Attachments

·
Registered
5,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Maybe a better assembly

close enough,...

I'm not sure which model your diagram is from but I think it may be a better drive. Although it hasn't been an issue, it seems that a nut tightened to 300 plus ft.lbs. should be a lot stronger than the snap ring on the 790. I could have put that much torque on a nut but holding the assembly might have required some extra thought. The snap ring only took two tries. . .

I didn't have a torque value on the cap bolts holding the assembly onto the axle. That would have been nice but they got about all I thought was reasonable given the size of the bolts. I didn't use an impact wrench on those going back as I sure as heck didn't want to be drilling one out.

I'll run over in a little bit and check the hub for leaks. I might also check the lug bolts as I ran it up and down the road yesterday.

Treefarmer

1 - 8 of 8 Posts