Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 825i S4 had been having the steering idiot light come on frequently, resulting in no power steering.

I finally had enough down time with winter upon us to send it off to the JD dealer to figure out the problem.

Turns out the EPAS is bad and also the wiring harness. I’m out of warranty of course and the parts alone are $1500

Apparently there is a JD technical bulletin on this issue and they replace it if they catch it while under warranty. Kind of a don’t ask don’t tell recall

Anyway due to my low hours, my dealer got JD to cover the parts and i just have to eat the labor - probably around $500 (5 hour job)

Anyone else experience this issue out of warranty and have a JD cover the whole nut?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
The EPAS module replacement is being covered under a "fix as fail" Product Improvement Program (PIP). A matrix was developed for reimbe
ursement. It uses age of unit vs hours on unit to determine customer cost if any. <5 yrs old and under 300hrs would be paid at 100% by Deere.
If you post your age of unit and hours I can look and see what your cost should be if any. Labor time to replace the EPAS under the PIP is 1.75hrs. There may be some time added for diag but not more than an hour I would say.
Older units will also have a new wring harness installed so the new style EPAS will plug into existing vehicle harness.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
The EPAS module replacement is being covered under a "fix as fail" Product Improvement Program (PIP). A matrix was developed for reimbe
ursement. It uses age of unit vs hours on unit to determine customer cost if any. <5 yrs old and under 300hrs would be paid at 100% by Deere.
If you post your age of unit and hours I can look and see what your cost should be if any. Labor time to replace the EPAS under the PIP is 1.75hrs. There may be some time added for diag but not more than an hour I would say.
Older units will also have a new wring harness installed so the new style EPAS will plug into existing vehicle harness.
Which units and date ranges are affected?

·
Registered
361 Posts
....I bought a 835M a couple of months ago, and still trying to decide on the extended warranty. I think the extended gives you 4 yrs of warranty.
Personally I would purchase the additional coverage, for “piece of mind” .

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I bought the gator in December of 2015. It was a dealer demo with 50 hours. It now has around 250 hours on it.

So it sounds like the 1.75 hours + any already spent on troubleshooting is what you’ll be looking at. Not that shabby if you ask me... certainly better than the $1500 + in parts and the labor :dunno:

·
Registered
11,640 Posts
How long have you had the machine? I bought a 835M a couple of months ago, and still trying to decide on the extended warranty. I think the extended gives you 4 yrs of warranty.
i think ur right about the length. i was all ready to get it, till i found out it only paid till i would hit the 600 hr mark-we sat there and figured up when i would or might hit them hrs on it. and it would be somewhere in the 2nd yr--so i didn't get it then.

but before my yr is up--i am going to refigure things and see what hrs i did put on it. then i'll see where i stand at for the hrs.
i figure no use paying for something i might not only get to use for a extra 6 months, so..............

i thought there was no limit to hrs, or miles, and i would get a extra 3 yrs then. not the way i was told. so please tell me i was told wrong-ok:munch:

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So it sounds like the 1.75 hours + any already spent on troubleshooting is what you’ll be looking at. Not that shabby if you ask me... certainly better than the $1500 + in parts and the labor :dunno:
Its more labor than that because they have to install a new wiring harness as well since the new epas is not compatible with the old harness. My JD shop told me to expect 4-5 hours labor in total for the repair. Is that not right? Really would be nice for JD to treat this as a total fix vs making me pay since its a known failure part.

·
Registered
7,860 Posts
Its more labor than that because they have to install a new wiring harness as well since the new epas is not compatible with the old harness. My JD shop told me to expect 4-5 hours labor in total for the repair. Is that not right? Really would be nice for JD to treat this as a total fix vs making me pay since its a known failure part.
Sounds like XCopterdoc will run your scenario either through their service matrix or look it up on the applicable materials and let you know based upon age and hours what Deere's offer "should be". He will probably do this when he is back at work tomorrow. Hopefully, it's consistent with what you have been told.

A unit that is 3 years old with 250 hours is certainly not excessive and it's not that old. It would be curious to know the maximum age and hours they (John Deere) will provide any coverage assistance.

Also, a question for Xcopterdoc, in a situation like this with these types of repairs, does Deere expect the dealer to be absorbing any of this cost through unpaid (labor provided by the dealer yet not reimbursed by Deere) labor, no profit markup margin on the parts or reduced reimbursement, etc.? I am just curious. Thanks in advance for your answer.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
In this instance it is a cost split between the customer and Deere. In some rare instances it may go to a 3 way split. Dealer, Deere and customer. Or sometimes it is customer and dealer.
Sounds like XCopterdoc will run your scenario either through their service matrix or look it up on the applicable materials and let you know based upon age and hours what Deere's offer "should be". He will probably do this when he is back at work tomorrow. Hopefully, it's consistent with what you have been told.

A unit that is 3 years old with 250 hours is certainly not excessive and it's not that old. It would be curious to know the maximum age and hours they (John Deere) will provide any coverage assistance.

Also, a question for Xcopterdoc, in a situation like this with these types of repairs, does Deere expect the dealer to be absorbing any of this cost through unpaid (labor provided by the dealer yet not reimbursed by Deere) labor, no profit markup margin on the parts or reduced reimbursement, etc.? I am just curious. Thanks in advance for your answer.
Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,695 Posts

Something ain't right here. PM me your machine serial number and let me make double sure you are covered by this PIP. If you are, there should be no cost to you.
As for the extra labor for wiring harness that's BS. It is a simple adapter harness that takes less than 1 minute to connect.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Something ain't right here. PM me your machine serial number and let me make double sure you are covered by this PIP. If you are, there should be no cost to you.
As for the extra labor for wiring harness that's BS. It is a simple adapter harness that takes less than 1 minute to connect.

Pm sent - thanks!

·
Registered
11,640 Posts
Sorry Arlen I missed your post. Basically all 825i and 855D from 2012 to 2017.

well i'm glad our 835R's and arlen's 865R is not involved then. thanks--xcopterdoc for the info.:bigthumb:

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Much thanks to xcopterdoc - with his info my dealer was able to get the warranty fix in for zero cost to me!

Apparently their john deere rep had no clue about this nor did the dealer.

+1 to green tractor talk for saving me some serious bucks!!

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Much thanks to xcopterdoc - with his info my dealer was able to get the warranty fix in for zero cost to me!

Outstanding! Glad it worked out! Hopefully they will get it back to you in a reasonable amount of time.

·
Premium Member
7,425 Posts

Dealer not knowing is understandable, but the JD rep :nunu: that's his job to know, or know how to check.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Dealer not knowing is understandable, but the JD rep :nunu: that's his job to know, or know how to check.
That was my thought too.. But.. These guys are out there putting out fires on everything green and yellow. Sometimes they aren't 100% up to speed. In their whirlwind world they may just go with what the dealer is asking for. Fire is out and on to the next one.
The dealer tech is next.. When a problem comes in.. Verify customer concern. Once confirmed.. Check the data base. You're not the first one to have this issue. Then.. Bam! Right there is the issue, some diag stuff and then the PIP program to fix it even out of warranty.
I will bet this dealer and rep won't forget this one!
I just wonder.. How many others have been hosed and paid good dollars for a fix that could have been free?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts