Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up an 84 front blade for the new 4044R, then through some humbling info relayed to me on here after asking why the swing cylinders wouldn't work properly, a slew of new hydraulics were added to the tractor, which are detailed in the Hydraulics Section here:

http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/hydraulics/30626-4044r-bucket-side-selective-control-valve.html

Of which only the front 3rd was needed to solve my problem, but there may be a hydraulic top link in my future along with some other implements as time goes on.

I wanted to share the build of the brackets that mount the 84 blade to the tractor. These blades utilize brackets that in the front mount to the frame rails and in the back mount to the tractor in lieu of the loader masts arms. I need the flexibility of dropping the blade and picking up the loader with out a huge process. The 4044R is a touch longer in the nose than the 4600 that this blade came from, the brackets were going to have to modified anyway.

IMG_2393.jpg

As you can see here, the front brackets bolted on with out modification, however in order to mount the loader, the brush gaurd has to be installed and not only does it have different bolt pattern, it also has 1" spacer blocks on each side of the frame rails. So I had to add some spacer material to make up the difference.

IMG_2394.JPG IMG_2395.JPG IMG_2397.JPG

IMG_2404.JPG IMG_2513.jpg IMG_2515.JPG

IMG_2516.JPG IMG_2535.JPG



I was also a little bit concerned about the side load on these brackets from pushing with the blade angled. Size wise the two tractors are about the same, but I wanted to beef up the front bracket a little bit so 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" x 1/8" wall square tubing was added as a brace between the two front brackets to make them more rigid. I can always add some gussets from the tube back to the main bracket if I notice it flexing to shorten up the moment arm.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
On to the back brackets, which were slightly more involved as noted the frame of the R is a little longer that its predecessor, I felt it was better to make up the difference in the brackets than to chop the plow sub-frame and extend it. I like cardboard templates as they are easy to modify or throw out and start over and a lot quicker to check fitment. The magnetic drill I borrowed from the shop at work cored 11/16" holes like a hot knife through butter... speaking of which, I'm not a big fan of Harbor Freight, but my buddy and I split one if their plasma cutters to try... 1/2" plate maxes it out but makes it so much cleaner to sever plate than the torches and at least twice as fast.



IMG_2398.JPG IMG_2400.jpg

IMG_2539.JPG IMG_2538.JPG

IMG_2548.JPG IMG_2547.JPG

IMG_2546.JPG

Loader to Blade back to Loader as fast as you can change quick disconnects on the hydraulics with out a wrench!

The only thing I can see being a hindrance are the front brackets as far as ground clearance, but they can be unbolted once a year and the stock spacers put back in a few minutes, if need be.
 

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
Joined
·
36,148 Posts
Nice job JD322. :thumbup1gif:
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
7,919 Posts
Nice documentation! Good job with the fab work and retrofit project. You're probably going to need some ballast and / or chains to push an 84" swath of snow though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,235 Posts
Nice work. It looks like clean factory install.:thumbup1gif:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice job JD322. :thumbup1gif:
Nice documentation! Good job with the fab work and retrofit project. You're probably going to need some ballast and / or chains to push an 84" swath of snow though.
Nice work. It looks like clean factory install.:thumbup1gif:
Thank You

I'm running 4 each 100 # wheel weights, 2 per side as well as a full ballast box. Since the bottom fell out of the scrap market, when I cleaned up the garage after this project using the plasma cutter for a little more practice, I cleaned up the scrap bin cutting everything to fit in the BB. It is full of scrap plate, angle, etc. packed tight up to about 6" from the top, capped with concrete so nothing rattles, and then I have 2 ea. 12" dia. steel disks 2" thick about 60# each laying on top, and 8 each 42# suitcase weights hanging off the back lip and I store my chains and binders in the top... I guess the box to be about 1400# on the conservative side. Dropped the air in the rears down to 12 psi. When I raise the ballast box, the rear of the tractor settles about 2"... luckily since spending all of that money and time we haven't got more than a dusting of snow... so I haven't got to try it out fully other than playing around spreading some gravel.

I'm concerned that those big R4's are just going to float, but I haven't given in to grooving yet, followed by chains if needed until I get the chance to try it out... curiosity killed the cat so to speak...
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top