Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 70s model 8430 with pto and 3pt. When you bend it all the way to the left or the right it makes a chatter in the trans. One way does it worst then the other but unsure which way. All the shafts and joints are good but we think it might be endplay. Any ideas before we tear into it? Thanks

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Check to be sure the joints are "in phase" . The joints in both ends of all the shafts need to be timed properly or they will chatter and fail prematurely. Some amount of clatter is normal from backlash in all the gears. If you can post photos of the shafts showing front and rear joints at the same time I can help you determine if they are in phase if you are not sure.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will check the shafts timing today and not sure if i can figure out how to post pictures with my phone. Someone had put new eaton shafts on this tractor with no grease fittings in the crosses and i need to pull them to fix that anyway. Thanks for the post

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I checked the shafts and the top shaft looks alittle off.the center shaft looks true but the bottom shaft is at least a inch out. I will jump it a spline this weekend when the parts for the 4030 come in and i can free up the shop. Fill free to post any other ideas till then. Thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.