Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After running about an hour it starts losing power. The longer you work it the less it has. After letting it sit a couple hours it will run strong again. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Administrator
18,503 Posts
:wgtt:

Since this is a gear machine, I will assume it is the engine that is loosing power and not the hydraulics.

How many hours?
Fuel filter changed?
Do you have a way to check temperature accurately?
Try loosening the fuel cap and see if power restores.
Does the fuel bowl remain full?
Worst case, the Injection Pump is getting worn and needs to be rebuilt.

·
Registered
971 Posts
First thought would be clogged fuel filter or clogged line from tank. Remove the filter and see if you get a full flow from the tank. If you only get a trickle, there is a clog somewhere. Also don't forget the air filter.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry I didn't explain better. Engine power is what I'm losing. It will run strong for about a hour. Then it will start slowing down more and more the longer it's ran and eventually kill. I can let it sit for a hour and it will run like it should. No temp gauge and it has new fuel filter and the lines have good flow.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,083 Posts
Fuel pump or fuel pressure......?

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Make sure your coolant is full and radiator is clean, it could be getting hot.

I also think most likely fuel though, Id make sure the tank is venting air in, check fuel filter.

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
Air filters clean, and flush the radiator .. Fuel could be getting eaten by microbes. Add some summer treatment ..

·
Registered
74 Posts
Is it an engine with Re-Gen. meaning emissions control. I experienced the same issue on a 5065 and then realized the machine was going into Re-Gen while I was using it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
8,192 Posts
~35+ year old machine? It could be quite a few things. Fuel delivery restriction is a good possibility. Fuel cap vent, fuel tank outlet restriction, fuel hose deterioration / debris blocking filter housing fittings.

I'd first remove the fuel cap and run it for a while for testing. Then disconnect the fuel line at the primary filter and check for adequate flow.

If it runs well when cold the injectors and compression are probably fine but don't overlook engine operating temperature and possible overheating.

Reactions: FormulaB

·
Super Moderator
2,589 Posts
FYI fellas....8 yr old thread

·
Super Moderator
8,192 Posts
Hey Kyle, thanks for the head's-up. Hopefully the rest of the members can get a few tips from the various, recent responders..........:LOL:

Reactions: kylew

·
Super Moderator
2,589 Posts
Lol. Yeah probably. 😎

1 - 12 of 12 Posts