Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
We're gonna need more information on the problem.

·
Super Moderator
8,206 Posts
I have a JD 855, with steering issues. Anyone have any thoughts on what it could be.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Additional information will be helpful. Is the steering imprecise, loose & sloppy, tight and hard to turn the wheel? Is it noisy indicating a possible hydraulic problem? :dunno:

The more information you provide the more advice you will receive. :good2:

Reactions: JReaper9178

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
which model of 855? early or late...Fuel tank location will help determine this.

2wd or 4x4...?

On the 4x4 the tie rod can drag on the front housing if it has been bent forward.

check the rod on the power steering cylinder for staightness/rust.....assumeing it has PS.

Is your hydralic fluid at the correct level?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
which model of 855? early or late...Fuel tank location will help determine this.

2wd or 4x4...?

On the 4x4 the tie rod can drag on the front housing if it has been bent forward.

check the rod on the power steering cylinder for staightness/rust.....assumeing it has PS.

Is your hydralic fluid at the correct level?
Earlier model fuel tank in front 4x4

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Additional information will be helpful. Is the steering imprecise, loose & sloppy, tight and hard to turn the wheel? Is it noisy indicating a possible hydraulic problem? :dunno:

The more information you provide the more advice you will receive. :good2:
It is hard to turn, semi sloppy steering wheel. hydraulics seem to work ,deck and 3 point go up and down

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
1 check that the tie rod...rod that connects L to R wheel is strait and not binding on front axle.
2 Wiggle steering wheel L/R...look for slop on tie rod ends and hydro clyinder ends connected to tie rod and tractor frame.
3 look for leaks at hydro cyl. and lines going to it.

My guess is the steering box/orbital unit is kaput.

If possible..Get front axle off the ground( this will be tricky ) if your front loader is working you can lift front tires with it...then check how it operates L to R.

I see you show no loader in pics...you will have to lift each side of front axle and block it up as it pivots in the middle.

Your hydro oil level is good???.....sounded like it but double check.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1 check that the tie rod...rod that connects L to R wheel is strait and not binding on front axle.
2 Wiggle steering wheel L/R...look for slop on tie rod ends and hydro clyinder ends connected to tie rod and tractor frame.
3 look for leaks at hydro cyl. and lines going to it.

My guess is the steering box/orbital unit is kaput.

If possible..Get front axle off the ground( this will be tricky ) if your front loader is working you can lift front tires with it...then check how it operates L to R.

I see you show no loader in pics...you will have to lift each side of front axle and block it up as it pivots in the middle.

Your hydro oil level is good???.....sounded like it but double check.
I don't have the loader for it. I wish I did,lol. I will look at the things that you suggested. Is rebuilding that steering box difficult?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I also noticed that when I add weight with the 3 point it was easier to steer. Just thought I would mention that, I dont know if that will help at all.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts