Green Tractor Talk banner

8n is back in action......part II

3K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  theduke 
#1 · (Edited)
After a long battle with mostly me.....I know better.....Tractor is running great.

Governor is working finally...A must for Jr...still leaks but gaskets show up wed or so and me bride can pick them up as the dealer is 1/2 block down the street from Her work. Good news..dealer is moving back to town right back next to Deere where they left 15 or so yrs ago.

Hooked up the beat to death Brush Hog......squirted in a bottlle of lucas 140 wt to watch it dump on the deck.....hmmm

Installed grease fitting and filled it with the cornhead grease.....Headed down the Hill...touch spooky but ok in 1st.

Proceeded to knock down the weeds in lower field. It did better than expected. 3 point leaks down and position control needs attention. Gear box talks to you....it is what it is. It works. Governor needs a touch of adjustment but you can't kill this tractor..at idle , mowing ,up hill on brakes it is probly @ 300 rpm or less..won't die. :laugh:

I think its almost Jr proof.

The wiring fiasco is next..along with cleaning the "never cleaned" oil bath Air Can.

Exhaust is exhausted.....full replacement is on list.

Probly would like a set of plugs and I've been dumping Kroil on them as they are in a dished area.

I'm near 1000.oo. ( $ 1039.oo) total investment..with new over run clutch ,new hydro oil ( 5 gal) ,bunch of odd ball fittings I fubared ,grease fittings and corn lube for mower deck, still haven't added gas:bigbeer: , lots of Me and less jr. hours.... OH YEA., The New Kubota BRUSH BUMPER thing , it was 80 bux but $ well spent to save the grill/Radiater...I'm pleased its all working...I'll be SO happy to get back on my JD 955...Its gonna feel like a Cadilac. Although with the large tires this 8n has a good ride...no PS..ughh.

I do enjoy this old stuff....No brains No BS.....Its not maintenance free though.

Consensus is...10 hours run time will cost a couple hours of gettin dirty. Its satisfying and keeps me mind working.

More shenanigans are in order...probly sooner than later.

td

See less See more
#2 ·
:bigthumb:.....................:munch:

Reactions: Herminator
#3 · (Edited)
After a long battle with mostly me....
I know that battle well. :laugh:

I went down to Dad’s today and he was dumping some hydraulic oil in the IH 454. I told him he goes through more hydraulic oil in his old tractors than I do diesel in the new one.:laugh:

Can’t give him to much crap because my 3020 didn’t start last week and he fixed it for me. One of the battery cables came loose inside the clamp.

#4 ·
I know that battle well. :laugh:

:banghead::banghead:....I read the 100 thing list of do's and Dont's.......Wrecked the fancy unobtainable craZy brass carburator elbow ..with attatched screen...I was soo mad. 5 trips to ace hardware today for fittings ,screen ,10/32 die ,3/16 rod ,more stuff I forget..breakfast was good though.
Now I gotta widen the front axle to clear my carb fitting cluster...It was gonna happen anyway to make it Jr proof. Plus needs to happen to mount the Brush guard front hitch ,weight holder ....This will be a piece of work. Gonna integrate a Big ole chunk of Road grader Blade "rack Gear"....half moon shaped chunk of a 100#'s or more I've been saving for such an occassion..More Jr proofing.

Its a fun battle...but not when I dumb it up....You gotta work slow and methodical with these old machines.

#5 ·
Consensus is...10 hours run time will cost a couple hours of gettin dirty. Its satisfying and keeps me mind working.

td
I’ve read the same thing about hours of use to repair/maintenance time and don’t think that is true. I use my 8N for rough work I’d rather not subject my 2025 to do, such as using PHD, brush hogging and running the old NH baler for the few acres of hay I do. Once you get everything sorted out and fix all the “repairs” done over the years to keep it going, you will have a very reliable tractor that just requires periodic maintenance that any machine, old or new, will need. I always wonder what these were like to operate when they were new. They’re still decent even after 70 years and countless hours on the meter (if they had one!), they must have been quite impressive for their time.

#6 ·
they are great. im the 2nd owner of a ford 2000 diesel 1973 and that old iron still runs like new. i use it for everything, well i did untill the 2032 was delivered. i only bought that cause i need to replace the power steering seals in the old ford. i was told thats what happens if you use the steering wheel to get on and off the tractor with. the 2032r is a beast but the old ford steers much better. i owned three 8-9n's fixed and sold for fun. Didnt care for them because they had no live pto.

#7 ·
Glad to hear it didn't defeat you. They are awesome machines even by today's standards. I'm sure that it will serve you, and JR, well for many years.
Good luck with the wiring. Remember, one wire at a time. Looking forward to seeing pictures of the finished product.

#8 ·
We traced the few (8) wires the other day...everything is good as far as what goes where etc.

Were missing some of the "where"...Theres some terminal block thing thats supposed to have a resister on it.
No resister and the block is garbage.

Gonna take genny down to local dude...super nice & smart latino fella...He will see if He can fix it cheap or we will just bolt it back in to run the belt/waterpump and run Her off the battery till a later date. It came with 2 Batteries so were good for quite some time..2015 & a 2017.

Put the grill back in just now after pounding out the big dent. Lowered air in rears to 9 psi. all tires are holding good.

Going to buy a Chipper in the morning...800 for a self feed 3 point...I'm on it.
This puppy should run that just fine...Jr will be busy.

More later in the week..

#9 ·
What kinda tom foolery you trying to run on us? Wheres all the pictures? :hide:

Reactions: rtgt and Herminator
#10 · (Edited)
I'm recruting picture pimps......I have a great and fantastic guy in Kentucky thats been doing a wonderful Job at posting what I send Him. I know it sounds crazy too send pics 3000 miles to be posted..but its working.
I try not to abuse Him.

I can't do pics....it takes hours and thats by phone. Home unit ...it just is beyond me.

I can text pics to anyone that has the ability...I'm just doubleDum in that part of posting. I can copy anyone elses pics and post them..but Not my own..I suk......I'll get some shots with the chipper tomorroow if that deal works and see about getting them up on line....hint..rtgt...I owe you a bottle buddy:cheers:

#11 ·
Here’s a pic of the wiring harness from the manual. The resistor you’re talking about, is that on the back side of the dash, left hand side? Somewhere I have the Napa part number for it, I’ve had to change mine out twice. My generator doesn’t charge either, I just charge the battery every once in awhile and no problems.

Attachments

#12 ·
Many thanks.

I found a reprint???...things are not correct of the IT manual.....Yours is a good pic.

Went and bought the chipper...turns out ahhh he forgot to set the brake on His Mahino..and the drive line separated:banghead:

Trashed both yokes....I clearly asked what is ALL the issues with this unit as I'm driving 100 miles + one way.

It got better..He had a Caroni 3 blade 72'\" mower also for sale and the same drive shaft quick connects on both machines.

$ 1170.oo ...later..I have both implements loaded and headed home....was also a guy in same town with a 8N genny for $ 10 bux...he never answered but may have to go back as The old boy has a sherman tranny & some other usefull parts.

I'll send some pics to my Hero....Maybe just maybe He will post a few.

Caroni is mounted to 955...I'm running duals..60" mm 72 on the rear..no more stripes:bigthumb:

Chipper is awesum..has power feed..its china crapshoot but way better than the one I borrowed last year.

td

#14 ·
Got the chipper dialed in today...Chiner thing and needed a bunch of fussing with to be safe to operate.

Bought new drive shaft. Governor gaskets ,Oil filter ,and some misc. for 8n. Its getting closer to tidied up.

Saving wiring ,genny issues till last as its working as is.

Finish mower ......is last on list but greased , lubed and cleaned it....its ready for a test run but won't marry to Imatch.

Small glitch ...../I have a plan...topless plus...we'll see if it werks.

Bought Jr a new trailer(home) today......serious upgrade.2007 Fleetwood 29' with a 14' slide out for 1250...online auction local to me ..5 mi.

Had a few nice OLD tractors that started cheap and blew up into 4- 5k ish...JD 730 & massy 2135. And a lowboy IH..goofy thing but it was all done up /restored. $1800..@ end iirc. Sat at 575 all week. Backwards pto & no implements:banghead:

They were all in the hundreds till the last few minutes and it was on. Massey was nice..no brain no bs FEL /forks Diesel:banghead:
It ended just shy of 5k

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.