Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now, Virginia is voting to decide whether to raise the legal truck weight to 91,000 pounds,,
up 11,000 pounds,,,

They feel the extra weight will cause fewer trucks to be on I81 and I95??

What do you think!!??

·
Registered
12,511 Posts
Right now, Virginia is voting to decide whether to raise the legal truck weight to 91,000 pounds,,
up 11,000 pounds,,,

What do you think!!??
I think they're still a bunch of wussies, New York runs 117,000, and the idea there was for the same reason. More payload means less trucks, but it sure reaks havoc on the roads.

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
I don’t see it as a problem. If they’re only raising the gross weight limit but not the axle weight limits, trucks will still be required to run tag axles, pushers or stingers to be legal. They just won’t have to pull permits for the gross weight overage.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don’t see it as a problem. If they’re only raising the gross weight limit but not the axle weight limits, trucks will still be required to run tag axles, pushers or stingers to be legal. They just won’t have to pull permits for the gross weight overage.

I think the 91,000 will be on 18 wheels,, because we already have extra axles, and overweight stickers.

·
Registered
12,511 Posts
I think the 91,000 will be on 18 wheels,, because we already have extra axles, and overweight stickers.
True, we run 102,000 on our trucks with 5 axles legally, any more than that and we would need a lift axle for the trailers.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Even if VA raises their load limits, I suspect a significant number of trucks destined for VA start out in other parts of the country where limits are still 80,000 without adequate bridging to stretch that number. I don't see this making a huge impact on truck traffic since trucks weight is based on legality at origin as well as the pass-through states. Most states that raise this only do so for select neighboring states whom they have an agreement with to allow the same. Missouri and Kansas and Missouri and Nebraska have such agreements.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Many are already running that or more with overweight permits, so it's just taking the permit part out of the equation.

:unknown:

Farmers (around here) can get a 10% exception for harvest, with a bit more leniency for field loading, but they can still get a ticket.

·
Registered
12,511 Posts
I'm assuming that the states that upped the limits are on state roads only? Pretty sure 80,000 limit is still a federal requirement.
Actually the restrictions for overweight permits are pretty strict if you follow the rules. Interstate, US and state highways only. Before they rebuilt the bridge coming into town at work we couldn’t legally pull a full load into our yard, we did anyway, but we were crossing a weight limited bridge.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm assuming that the states that upped the limits are on state roads only? Pretty sure 80,000 limit is still a federal requirement.
I think Virginia is trying to get ahead of the probable coming increase in Federal numbers,,,
If VA is not in line,, VA looses Federal funding,,,,

·
Registered
11,753 Posts
I think Virginia is trying to get ahead of the probable coming increase in Federal numbers,,,
heck they talked of this way back in the 90's when i was still hauling steel around. the last yr i worked my own truck, i pulled a 53 ft van around the country, and the company i was leased too, was running 57 fts down south across I-10, hauling empty plastic bottles.

i wound up with one of them 57fts, and they made me bring it into Chicago where it was to be put on the railroad to be taken back down south then.

back then the weight being increased was shot down, but i can't remember by who:dunno:

·
Registered
773 Posts
I see the day when Trucks will only be allowed on congested routes and in cities after commute hours. Maybe 800pm - 500am. If this country doesn't start building some infrastructure, capacity will continue to be an issue..

·
Registered
12,511 Posts
This is the only way it would make sense, but like BigJim said, they have pushed this many times in the past only to get shot down.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
up 11,000 pounds,,,

What do you think!!??
I think VA would be better served widening I-81, I-64 and I-95 to handle all the traffic on those road OR they should build some new interstates. However, I am aware of the political impasse that has posed to voters/legislators in different parts of the state. I will say that I think VA has a better road network than down here in NC (I have lived in both states) but it is reaching capacity on the interstates. A trip virtually at any time of day on I-95 or I-81 will only validate that fact.

Another poster posted about investing in infrastructure. I couldn't agree more. The better it is, the faster goods get to market, the better our economy is. We have let ours slip over the past 40-50 years and it is negatively impacting our nation. We can no longer ignore this. Changing weight limits is merely a crutch for a larger problem.

I do not think limiting truck times on highways is not a good solution either. Something like 70-80% of goods is carried by truck so creating artificial delays in the supply chain is going to have a negative effect on markets, in my opinion. VA had an idea a few years ago to create a truck only I-81, much like the NJ turnpike has a truck only section to it. Great idea but no one wanted to pay for it if I recall. Separating trucks from civilian traffic would appear to be safer and more efficient but at a high cost and fraught with political challenges because no one wants that in their backyard.

There are not any good solutions to this problem, they all involved spending tax dollars which no one wants to fork over or fears they will be misdirected into some other government program. Both very real concerns no matter which side of the aisle you live on.

Maybe we just need to have Amazon keep investing in their drone technology to help take trucks off the roads!

Sorry for the rant.

As far as heavier truck loads, as long as it doesn't crumble the already crappy road structure go for it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts