Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1-month out of warranty (~100 hours) 915b that i noticed recently was leaking transmission oil. I took it into my john deere service department who reported that the topseal and filter seals were leaking. To replace them they are asking ~$114 for parts and $745 in labor. I find it odd that both transmissions are leaking. Anybody else have this problem? Also, the labor costs are killing me...anybody do the work to reseal a transmission? is it something a DYIer should be able to do?

·
Registered
455 Posts
I have a 1-month out of warranty (~100 hours) 915b that i noticed recently was leaking transmission oil. I took it into my john deere service department who reported that the topseal and filter seals were leaking. To replace them they are asking ~$114 for parts and $745 in labor. I find it odd that both transmissions are leaking. Anybody else have this problem? Also, the labor costs are killing me...anybody do the work to reseal a transmission? is it something a DYIer should be able to do?
jonnyg, You are a human being, Right?

Did you know that a human being assembled the transmission, and another human being installed it in the Z915B. So, you being a human person, get you some tools...correct ones and remove the transmission(s) and fix it.

Many years ago at a John Deere dealership parts dept. wacko told me I needed to have their shop repair my JD200. I told him..."What man put together, man can take apart."

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,078 Posts
If you are one month out of warranty you need to talk to the service mgr. This is a very well known problem. Deere should step up and pay this one. At a minimum at least the labor.
From what I understand the parts are like nothing, $ wise.
Like I mentioned in my thread, one side was leaking, dealer replaced both sides.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
From what I understand the parts are like nothing, $ wise.
Like I mentioned in my thread, one side was leaking, dealer replaced both sides.
I just resealed one yesterday. 1 month out of warranty. Right side was repaired under warranty. We ate the cost of resealing the left side. Should of done both while under warranty. Thats one good thing about the larger dealers. We can afford now and then to consume costs to make it right.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for your replies!

kbeaag: I like the idea of doing my own repairs. I need to find some time to dig into the machine...but I'll wait until the grass growing slows and the temperature dips a bit--in Houston, that's December!

xcopterdoc: I spoke to the dealer and they thought their John Deere rep could help. Still waiting to see. I really hope they do the right thing, as it sounds like this is a known issue.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Thank you all for your replies!

kbeaag: I like the idea of doing my own repairs. I need to find some time to dig into the machine...but I'll wait until the grass growing slows and the temperature dips a bit--in Houston, that's December!

xcopterdoc: I spoke to the dealer and they thought their John Deere rep could help. Still waiting to see. I really hope they do the right thing, as it sounds like this is a known issue.

Those transmissions in the Z915B should be Tuff Torq models, and Tuff Torq may like to hear about the problems were both started leaking same time. Could be a flaw in the way they are assembled or bad parts that is causing the trouble.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Those transmissions in the Z915B should be Tuff Torq models, and Tuff Torq may like to hear about the problems were both started leaking same time. Could be a flaw in the way they are assembled or bad parts that is causing the trouble.
Its bab parts. A 1inch dia cap plug. Cracks and leaks. Also the input shaft seal is a problem. Tuff torque knows. Parts were redesigned. No trouble out of the new parts.

·
Registered
3,654 Posts
Its bab parts. A 1inch dia cap plug. Cracks and leaks. Also the input shaft seal is a problem. Tuff torque knows. Parts were redesigned. No trouble out of the new parts.

I might be fine with the redesign depending on when it happened but was this also a problem on the R model? I haven't noticed any leaks but I will look for it. I know there are some differences with the transaxeles on the R vs the B/E/M but this sounds more like a case issue and that might be common parts between all of them. The main differences being higher ground speed and cross porting between the units. Not sure if there are modifications to the other transaxeles to make the the same as the R.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Gizmo2 and BigJim55

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I might be fine with the redesign depending on when it happened but was this also a problem on the R model? I haven't noticed any leaks but I will look for it. I know there are some differences with the transaxeles on the R vs the B/E/M but this sounds more like a case issue and that might be common parts between all of them. The main differences being higher ground speed and cross porting between the units. Not sure if there are modifications to the other transaxeles to make the the same as the R.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk
I am not exactly sure when the parts were updated. View attachment 436010

1 - 11 of 11 Posts