Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I use a JD 925A zero turn to maintain our 2.2 acre lawn. It has the 27HP Kawasaki engine and is running a 54" deck set up to mulch. Lately, the unit feels (and sounds) like it is operating with about18-20 of those 27 horses. I have recently changed fuel filter, primary air filter, and spark plugs with not much improvement. What could I be missing?:banghead: We bought the mower used several years ago with about 800 hours from a dealer. It now has 1100 hours on it. Thanks for your help.

Frank

·
Administrator
20,980 Posts
Try removing the plug wires from the plugs one at a time. I pull them free and let them lay on the plugs, start it up, and while using something like a paint stir stick, pull the plug wire back and see if the engine changes note. If you find a cylinder not firing, you can start troubleshooting on that side.

BTW, I've seen more ignition coils go on Kawasaki's than I can shake a stick at. They are usually separate for each cylinder. But check prior to ordering and replacing one.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice Jason. Started the motor and pulled the left hand plug wire off-no change. Replaced the left wire and pulled off the right side wire- motor dies immediately. Your statement about ignition coils on Kawasaki engines has a lot of support on youtube! The dealer has 3 of these coils in stock. When I go pick one up on Monday, should I get 2 and replace them both?

Frank

·
Administrator
20,980 Posts
Personally I haven’t in the past because they are so easy to replace. But for some it just makes sense. They aren’t terribly expensive.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Good call Jason.:hi:

·
Registered
455 Posts
Thanks for the advice Jason. Started the motor and pulled the left hand plug wire off-no change. Replaced the left wire and pulled off the right side wire- motor dies immediately. Your statement about ignition coils on Kawasaki engines has a lot of support on youtube! The dealer has 3 of these coils in stock. When I go pick one up on Monday, should I get 2 and replace them both?

Frank

That's the way to go. Do things besides sending it to the dealer... You just saved yourself couple hundred bucks. The dealer loves to change bad coils for a big fee.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's the way to go. Do things besides sending it to the dealer... You just saved yourself couple hundred bucks. The dealer loves to change bad coils for a big fee.
So I went to Deere this morning and purchased 2 new ignition coil sets. Since I already had everything apart on the motor, the replacement of the left coil (bad) and the right coil (good- my new spare!) took about 10 minutes. I put everything back together and fired it up. Sounds great and it seems as if all 27 horses are now pulling in the same direction! The full proof will be when we next cut the lawn, but I'm gonna put this one in the win column now. Thanks to all for the help and hints.

Frank

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
In light of Jason's obvious keen troubleshooting of spark ignition type engines, and the fact that he bought a spark ignition lawn mower and pickup truck...I would like to make a motion that he be now referred to as "gasolineshadow" from hereafter.

·
Administrator
20,980 Posts
In light of Jason's obvious keen troubleshooting of spark ignition type engines, and the fact that he bought a spark ignition lawn mower and pickup truck...I would like to make a motion that he be now referred to as "gasolineshadow" from hereafter.
Now that hurt my feeling. :lol:

·
Administrator
18,514 Posts
I got nothin’ but this:

:lolol:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got nothin’ but this:

:lolol:
This is why I love this forum. A lot of good fun most of the time, but if a person has an issue to resolve the collective wisdom is ready to help. I wish there was an emoticon for handshakes all around. I guess the thumbup will have to suffice! :thumbup1gif::thumbup1gif:

Frank

1 - 11 of 11 Posts