Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys think about the 950M with a 60” deck???

·
Premium Member
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Is a 72” deck too big for a 27hp engine? Anybody ran the Z950M? Anyone took a look at it?

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,099 Posts
60" deck Good.
72" deck Bad.
IMO.

Reactions: Yank

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
I have a Z950R. Overall happy with the purchase.

Unless your ground is really flat, the 60 would be better than the 72.

·
Premium Member
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you think that the fuel injected 29hp version of that engine is worth the money on a 60 inch deck?

·
Premium Member
10,144 Posts
Do you think that the fuel injected 29hp version of that engine is worth the money on a 60 inch deck?
I have a 25hp carb'd engine on my 915 with a 60" deck and it seems to have all the power I need.

Based on that, I'd probably not go for the additional $ just for the HP.

There may be some other advantages to the EFI though. Not sure on that one.

·
Registered
23,293 Posts
I have a 25hp carb'd engine on my 915 with a 60" deck and it seems to have all the power I need.

Based on that, I'd probably not go for the additional $ just for the HP.

There may be some other advantages to the EFI though. Not sure on that one.
For me no matter the extra cost EFI would be worth it to me. Instant starts with no choke no matter the weather. I just have never had good luck with carbureted engines I guess.

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
EFI is nice. One thing I will point out is that not all Z9xx engines are Kawasaki engines. If that matters to you. I want to say the EFI engines are all Kohler maybe? I never looked at them that close but someone here had an issue or something once and I stumbled across in that thread that it wasn't a Kawasaki. Before that I thought all but the Z915E/B and the diesels were Kawasaki engines. Again, if that matters to you.

EFI normally means a little better fuel economy but that might be a wash with a slightly bigger engine. No choke to mess with which is nice. I really haven't had a lack of power issue to say that you need 29hp to run a 60" deck. I went with the Z950R because I have the MCS and the powerflow head saps about 2hp. I have bogged it down a bit in heavy/damp pine needles but that was with the MCS. Without it, it would be tough to bog down. More HP would be nice with a lot of hills but the R might be better place to spend your money. The drives are different on the R and you get a little more ground speed but more importantly you have cross porting to better cool the drive units in hills. We have hills and I have never had an issue with the 60". Keep in mind the 60 is the small deck in this engine size. When you look at the smaller less powerful engines, it is the big deck option.

That is just my thoughts on this. Maybe someone else has some other reasoning that makes sense.

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
For me no matter the extra cost EFI would be worth it to me. Instant starts with no choke no matter the weather. I just have never had good luck with carbureted engines I guess.
I hear you there. I also like EFI. I have a couple motorcycles that have 4 carbs. You think it is tricky keeping one carb going, try 4 of them. :banghead: The bike I put the most miles on (around 118K miles right now) is EFI.

Reactions: Yank and coaltrain

·
Registered
725 Posts
Same here. My Z945M has the 27 hp fuel injected Kohler engine, plenty of power, easy starts.

Reactions: Gizmo2 and Yank

·
Registered
11 Posts
I bought a 960M yesterday. 31hp carbuerated Kawasaki, 60” deck, suspension seat, & tweels. Thing is a beast. Talked to a lot of people & read lots of reviews before buying & I’m definitely happy w/my purchase. Thought I wanted EFI but was talked out of it. No better economy & I can’t work on it, at least if this carb messes up I can fix it. My thinking on the larger motor is that even when it’s old & wore out, it’ll still be as strong as a new smaller motor, & until then, I can mow just about anything wide open

·
Registered
77 Posts
EFI or carb is a personal choice and IMHO many things must be factored. While I have little or no experience with John Deere or Kohlers EFI I was a technician for 30 years and have worked on a large number of both EFI and carb systems. I recently purchased a new Z915E and looked at stepping up to one with EFI but I had my last mower 8 years with a carb and zero issues. At the same time I know I changed all my filters and fluids every 50 hours and can tell you everything was always very dirty and dusty. The one thing I am aware of with EFI is the injectors have such small micron screen in most applications that dirt and dust is a real factor. Many people don't realize that the flow of an injector is critical to optimal running, good fuel pressure and pumps play another important part of the equation. For a mower that I plan to keep 8-10 years and I don't want to spend my time working on and mostly riding time I decided on the carb mostly because it is so low tech and has so few parts that require very little input to work properly. Not saying one is superior over the other, each just has advantages and disadvantages IMHO.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,099 Posts
EFI or carb is a personal choice and IMHO many things must be factored. While I have little or no experience with John Deere or Kohlers EFI I was a technician for 30 years and have worked on a large number of both EFI and carb systems. I recently purchased a new Z915E and looked at stepping up to one with EFI but I had my last mower 8 years with a carb and zero issues. At the same time I know I changed all my filters and fluids every 50 hours and can tell you everything was always very dirty and dusty. The one thing I am aware of with EFI is the injectors have such small micron screen in most applications that dirt and dust is a real factor. Many people don't realize that the flow of an injector is critical to optimal running, good fuel pressure and pumps play another important part of the equation. For a mower that I plan to keep 8-10 years and I don't want to spend my time working on and mostly riding time I decided on the carb mostly because it is so low tech and has so few parts that require very little input to work properly. Not saying one is superior over the other, each just has advantages and disadvantages IMHO.
Good post. I also have no issues with carburetor engines.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts