Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Inherited a 955. When in rabbit mode it would shift to an overdrive type gear by pumping the forward pedal twice. It stopped doing this recently.

there is a difference between turtle and rabbit mode but it won’t jump into high speed mode with double pump or any number of pumps on the forward pedal.

Fluid is full. Tried AWD and 2WD.

any common issues to check?

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Reactions: ab39off

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When we first received it the high speed bump was working. I have driven it in the road at 10-12 mph as well as in the property; which is the advertised too speed.
In rabbit mode without double tap and it is maybe 3-5 mph.

not sure what to say. It just worked like that and now it doesn’t.

if it is supposed to go 10 mph in rabbit mode without double tap, that has never worked since getting it.
Thanks.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
45,343 Posts
A new one on me, never heard of it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmm, that is exactly what I have seen in the manual, and I even bought a service manual..
It does not go 11.4mph in rabbit mode, I would say less than 5mph but faster than turtle mode at WOT.

The old owner told us that was how to get it into high speed range, and it probably went around the stated 11 mph, after tapping the forward pedal twice while in rabbit mode.

Is there any condition that would cause this unique tapping on pedal? Clutch slipping, linkage not adjusted right, etc?

It does forward creep like everyone has mentioned while running and no pedal being pushed. I was afraid if I adjust linkage to get more forward throw it would just cause more creep.

I don't think that turtle mode is 5 mph either, it is a snail's pace.. rabbit is slightly faster, but maybe 3-4 mph, just a WAG.

Thanks for all the replies. Still stumped about why it seemed to shift into an overdrive gear or maybe true rabbit mode by tapping forward twice.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Sounds like some kind of linkage problem that finally gave way.

I would look underneath and trace the linkage from the pedal to the trans and see if you see anything obvious.

Here is the page from the manual on adjusting the pedals if that helps.

Product Black Font Material property Parallel

Reactions: ab39off

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Never experienced that.

I'm rarely ever in high unless on the flat doing loader work.

I DO NOT use high to pull in to the rock pile to get a load...Its seems too hard on a spendy trans.

Once bucket is full I'll shift to high if I'm going a ways. Don't use high coming up the gradual grade long driveway either.
Just builds heat somewhere...ymmv

Not sure whats up with your unit but that is not normal and I've owned 2 955's.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
I bet whats happening here is the linkage thats up under seat.

If your not on the seat...hydro pedals will barely move but you can get slight movement of tractor.
When you Sit in seat it pushes a rod down releaseing the interlock from the pedals to seat "thingy".

Or your linkage in the rear is loose.
Follow rod from Forward pedal to where it connect by RR wheel. See if that Long bolt with 1' spacer has loosend up.
Check parking brake linkage and lube if its sticking.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The
I bet whats happening here is the linkage thats up under seat.

If your not on the seat...hydro pedals will barely move but you can get slight movement of tractor.
When you Sit in seat it pushes a rod down releaseing the interlock from the pedals to seat "thingy".

Or your linkage in the rear is loose.
Follow rod from Forward pedal to where it connect by RR wheel. See if that Long bolt with 1' spacer has loosend up.
Check parking brake linkage and lube if its sticking.

thanks for the ideas you guys. Put a new
Starter, ignition switch that was hanging up in starter mode, new batteries and a ground cable on my old model 300 backhoe loader tonight.

these old JD’s keep me busy!

Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, update on where I am at with it.
Changed the hydraulic oil filter and filled up to limit.
Tightened linkage back by Right Rear Wheel, it was a little sloppy.
The seat lockout seems to be moving up and down while seated, and I moved by hand with seat up.

It seems like the forward pedal is very limited in how far it can be pushed forward. I am guessing something is hung up, and the previous owner found that pumping the forward pedal, and hitting reverse, jumping up and down, etc., and it would allow full travel of the pedal.

Does anyone know the length of travel of the pedal?

What would prevent or cause the pedal to stick in a small range of motion?

Thanks
AB

·
Registered
1,358 Posts

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Theres a bunch of grease fittings in the pedal shaft area.......like 5 iirc.

Pedals on mine would get stiff once in a while if you don't keep all that greased good.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Theres a bunch of grease fittings in the pedal shaft area.......like 5 iirc.

Pedals on mine would get stiff once in a while if you don't keep all that greased good.
I saw the fittings under there and will taken my grease gun out next time to give them a squirt. The cruise control and the parking seem to be non functional. Both sort of just rattle around and sill not engage. FWIW.

I followed the linkage back to right rear and other than the sloppy joint at back from the nut being a little loose, it all looked okay. There was an arm with adjuster nuts on it but the nuts were jammed tight so I can’t believe it got that far out of adjustment. Like I said, it has gone the top speed before,and once it is going you could slow down and speed back up as needed. And I believe the pedal travelled further. I just have not driven much or I would know for sure pedal travel wasn’t correct.

thanks for the ideas.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I saw the fittings under there and will taken my grease gun out next time to give them a squirt. The cruise control and the parking seem to be non functional. Both sort of just rattle around and sill not engage. FWIW.

I followed the linkage back to right rear and other than the sloppy joint at back from the nut being a little loose, it all looked okay. There was an arm with adjuster nuts on it but the nuts were jammed tight so I can’t believe it got that far out of adjustment. Like I said, it has gone the top speed before,and once it is going you could slow down and speed back up as needed. And I believe the pedal travelled further. I just have not driven much or I would know for sure pedal travel wasn’t correct.

thanks for the ideas.
I like what the Duke said. After lubrication I cannot help but wonder if you are stuck in creep mode(my fav place with my wife!) There might be old empty PBR cans in the linkage, or possible a stick, but something is keeping your pedal from the metal..a linkage issue for sure.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
iirc..

In that pedal assembly somewhere sandwiched in between the F&R pedal is some Cam type part that another guy here had trouble with.
He posted some good pics of this part........

I'd sort out your Cruise control lever and your parking brake as all that stuff is tied to the pedals as well.

Do some search for sticky pedals on a 855 or 955 and you will probly find that thread with the cam part.

Product Map Organism Font Line

Theres another thread or 2 somewhere as well......theres more going on besides just 2 pedals.
the 3rd brake pedal is also on this same shaft as the F&R pedal......lots of lube to keep it all happy.

good luck.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.