Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody. Changing out the coolant in my 955. I'm looking for the block drain listed in the owner's manual. I assume it is the little guy indicated in the photo below, as it is on the bottom of the oil cooler as is described.

The question is....how in the heck do you open it up with a phillips?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
428 Posts
Knock knock,

based on the photo in my 955 manual, the drain you are looking for is located at about the 11 o’clock position above the oil filter behind the fuel filter. But the photo doesn’t show the plumbing like in your photo.

Dave

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting. Does yours not have the oil cooler? Mine is a '95, it has a donut style oil cooler that the filter screws into. I presume that the drain is that little boss that is at 8 o'clock on the cooler,as it is the lowest point in the system. It has a phillips screwdriver type fitting that you can't get at because the engine mount is in the way.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Well ...You got me curious now..

I'll go pull the panel on mine and have a look.

I don't see a thing.........There is something behind Fuel filter bowl but I can't get a good look. A sensor maybe?

Loader is on and leaves little room to look.

Nothing on the starter side which is where it should be...lots of room....

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
12,713 Posts
Coolant drains.
There are two. One at the lower part of the radiator. See item #14 below. It's a butterfly type drain. Use your fingers or pliers to loosen.

--------------------

Also at the engine oil cooler, as in the photo you posted. See item #13 in the image below. Use pliers to loosen.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Mine has the oil cooler like in the pic way up there .

Couldn't see the plug like in Fly's pic but its a filthy mess and the loader is a head knocker.

Them should be regular threads......The old Brass "T" type seem like they turn backwards...I forget

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool, thanks guys. So that little fitting on the oil cooler I can just grab with pliers then, don't want to screw it up. I'm flushing the system too, so I did the first drain by pulling the hose clamp off the front of the oil cooler. It's slightly higher, so I got probably a 95% drain.

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
12,713 Posts
kk332, I can not say for certain the drain won't break. You do realize it's not new and with it's age, it could be dried out and brittle. Just take your time with it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did a little test grab, and was able to turn #13 in the diagram as shown. I didn't turn it out all the way though. Also, #3 in the photo is listed on jdparts as a "plug" too. Not sure what that one's for. Thanks for your help guys!

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
12,713 Posts
Also, #3 in the photo is listed on jdparts as a "plug" too. Not sure what that one's for.
It's been a while since I've been around one, but as far as I can tell, it's a oil pressure test port.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
FYI, the coolant drain plug on the oil cooler (#13 in the diagram above) is an M10x1.25, and there's a little rubber(?) washer to seal it. There is no more than 20mm clearance (a hair over 3/4") between the boss and the engine mount. If one were to decide to replace it with a thumb grab or similar, it'd have to be quite small.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts