Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me what the purpose of the 2 phillips head screws around the PTO output are for? I took them out and they didn't seem to have any function. Neither the part list or the shop manual show the seal housing as a seperate piece.
20190412_165452.jpg

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Are they there to hold the cover on? :dunno:

My 4105 came used to me, the cover had never been off the PTO shaft,,,

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Cad missed this!....or not as I reread His post:flag_of_truce:

There is a sheet metal cover that fits over the phillips screws ...dust cover...keeps the shaft clean.

Its srewed on with a half twist if that makes sense.

The small indents next to the screws is where the spring loaded detents seat.

Somewhere I have a couple of these...may fit the rear also.
I guess I should have used mine all these years cause my front pto seal is Leaking....:banghead:

The same or similar cover fits the rear also.....Look around the rear pto shaft and you will see the 2 threaded holes in my case? screws fell or were removed to keep from grinding your knukles on them and the 2 indents

The old school..fords had a similar device that twas threaded.

theres one on ebay...

Eastern Triangle Enterprises LLC E-Store. John Deere AM875151 PTO Shaft Cover 955 Tractor

·
Premium Member
13,584 Posts
Cad missed this!

There is a sheet metal cover that fits over the phillips screws ...dust cover...keeps the shaft clean.

Its srewed on with a half twist if that makes sense.

The small indents next to the screws is where the spring loaded detents seat.
Correct! Later model 2-series tractor came with nice little plastic covers that used those same two screws. Most dealers take them off and throw them away but I have both of mine and use them. Since I don't have any rear PTO implements I keep it covered all the time. When I take off my snow blower for the summer I attach a cover to the mid-PTO since I do not have a MMM. It keeps the PTO splines nice and clean for next time.

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Makes sense to me. Thanks all!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts