Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After trashing the Optional Factory Canopy (400$ +-) I forget. It was a gift to Dad for His 955 back in 95 ish.
I /we (insert my Bride/vagGenius of 36-39? whatever years You have no idea ..Yes I love Her deerly ) decided my roof suked and after explaining how it got trashed in 20 some years after being on 2 different 955's His & later mine. She blurts out...why don't you fix it? No problem I say ...I'll comb the acerage for the many bits & pieces and see what I can do. Mind you its missing a Complete 1/3 rd...But who am I to argue.
Fast forward to yesterday..I find a Like New JD canopy on CL for a 3000-5000 series tractor...hmmm.
Message /call dude and get measurements...few inches wider and a full Foot longer...damit.
Check around and the few aftermarket canopies I can find are the same size... 50" w x 59" long.

Ohh..JD NO longer makes the factory unit I gave Dad for His Bday or Fathers day whichever it was so a factory replacement is a no go...JD parts guy found me some yella pos...Nope

So this unit is looking good..Like New...Right Color , JD part # , Complete Anti Melanoma surround system & my feet will no longer get wet. Ohh yea $300 bucks..vs close to 600 + shipping for anyother unit I found. I'm going for it... More decisions to make..Gotta cross state lines ,its hot ,it won't fit in Her truck with ac ( the one that backed into my truck yesterday morning to the tune of 2K damage) Did I mention the V werd? So I unhook my Gutter trailer and figure I'll strap this thing on my "incomplete" truck..07 dodge 3500 C&C.yep says so on the door jam & I like it. An hour later its mounted up and headed home.

Get home and unbolt the scraps of the old roof ...New Neighbor happens to swing by as I was trying to find a way to rastle this monster on top of my tractor...I'd clearly given up all hope and dumped it in the back of the K buggy.
He helped toss it on top...Got to do a bit of hillbilly engineering to mate the different brackets..but I think it will be fine.
New plan is to Remove any and ALL low hanging branches and anything else that will trash my new Lid. Property is steep sloped with tons of trees etc.
With any luck Captain V will approve and life will continue with minimal interuptions..

These pics will be a pita to load but I'll do my best as they tell the details better than I can explain..
IMG_20190511_111933603_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190511_182203096.jpg

View attachment IMG_20190511_181437558.jpg
IMG_20190511_184806800.jpg

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)

Jeeezze...an hour to load 6 pics.....there has to be a better way:banghead::banghead::munch:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
808 Posts
Congrats on the new lid! It looks a lot like the one I have on my 2038R, I didn't think I wanted it but I'm very glad I got it.

·
Registered
161 Posts
NICE!!:good2::good2:

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Nice.that one picture if’s a great angle it looks like the flower baskets are hanging from your new lid.

·
Registered
476 Posts
That came out nice.

Try resizing your pics before you upload. I use a freeware program named Irfanview and do a batch conversion. I set the long side to 1400 pixels and compress the images to 96%. Knocks em down to less than a megabyte each and they are plenty big for display. You can set it to overwirite or save in a new folder if you want the originals protected. Most of the time I just tell it to save in the original location and overwrite the existing files with the lesser size ones.

Reactions: Herminator

·
Registered
989 Posts
VagGenius?! Priceless. lmao Why didn't she like the old canopy?:laugh:

I just upload pics right off my phone with the mobile version of GTT. Works pretty good, no messing around with resizing.

Reactions: Herminator

·
Registered
627 Posts
Nice.that one picture if’s a great angle it looks like the flower baskets are hanging from your new lid.
Thought the same thing:

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
Looks good.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Looks Vonderful. Aboslutely Veautiful!!

Use the old one to begin construction of a she shed.

I'm glad someone else has one that is full of piss and vinegar.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looks Vonderful. Aboslutely Veautiful!!

Use the old one to begin construction of a she shed.

I'm glad someone else has one that is full of piss and vinegar.

No Her Plants aren't hanging from my new top..
However..I wouldn't rule it out if left parked too long.

Fire & Ice...You never know which one is coming.

But...we meet in the middleish mostly....:banghead:

So I ditched the new lid today as I have to find a mounting solution.
Figured I'd go mow Roll bar deep and bust some branches...Got all the tree'd /perimeter mowed and then the usual..

I'm starving for fuel...Yea my fuel guage is a liar....better than none but 1/4 tank means head to the lower barn.

If I catch it quick and level the tractor I can hand job /prime it and weave my way back up the mountain to the fuel depot.

I'll never ever buy land this steep again..and this was gonna be and may be the Forever Ranch.

Hillsides suck. as does Poisen Oak.. but my new top is cool..keeping it from looking like the old one will be a challenge.

I'm thinking I need yet another smaller 4x4 mower..and of course a larger than my 955 one.

Is 3 too many??

:munch:

·
Registered
26 Posts
3 isn't too many, it's barely enough.

I bought the Curtis canopy when I had my '96 770. It was fiberglass. Breaking pieces off was a hobby. I did the fiberglass repairs in '10 when I traded the 770 for the POS 4105 (couldn't keep a fuel shutoff solenoid for more than 6 months. Repaired and repainted again in '16 when I upgraded to the 4066. The 4066 now has a Curtis cab so the canopy is on the Z930....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts