Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear 955 owners,

I have always intended to replace my hydraulic oil filter*, but keep wondering if I need to drain all the hydraulic oil first. Obviously there will be the filter's hydraulic oil contents spilling around, but what about the rest?
Maybe the answer to my question is that I should drain and replace all the Hydraulic oil anyway since it hasn't happened in a year or two? And besides I should be pulling and cleaning the oil screen at the rear drain point?

Nothing gets done with me and my "intentions"...:nunu::nunu:

*a new hydraulic pump and a fixed output shaft nut have precluded a simple hydraulic oil change over the last 4 years.

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
Not the same tractor but just as a FYI.

I smacked my 2305 filter a couple weeks ago and it started leaking. I replaced it and the total loss was only about 3.5 quarts.

I expected to lose at least 2 gallons because it is very low. You might lose less since you can spin it off and replace quickly. I poked mine and had to make a trip to the dealer so mine had more time to leak down.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I don't own a 955. I do own a 990 and have recently replaced the hydraulic fluid, filter and cleaned the screen. In my case the users manual covered everything pretty well. I wouldn't want to change the filter without emptying the fluid but as RRMCCABE wrote you might not lose that much fluid if you were to do that. In my case if I wanted to clean the screen I had to empty the fluid Otherwise it would have been emptying most of it anyway with where the screen was located. Tthere are two drain plugs which either could be used to drain the fluid on my 990, I used them both to make sure I could get as much of the old fluid out as possible. Once empty I then removed the old filter and then removed the screen and cleaned it. when putting the filter back the manual instructed you to fill the filter at least half full of hydraulic fluid before attaching it which I did.

I looked to see if the 955 manual was on line but it is not available as an online document. Maybe someone else has it available in an electronic format.

You can find some more discussion about changing out the fluid here http://www.greentractortalk.com/for...our-maintenance&highlight=hydraulic+fluid+990 and I have no doubt that there are probably other threads as well that you would find helpful.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
fluids to electrics!

Was thinking about swapping out the hydraulic fluid, but ended up fixing the snapped off the electrical cord that supplies the rear flasher, light and headlamp, so I reconnected those three wires. The electrics then took a major hike: the flashers only worked on one side, the headlight only worked on the other side: turned out to be bad connections under the fenders which responded well to spray electrical connector cleaner...starting to really like that product.
Meantime got to replace the 25 amp headlight fuse: not a good sign; prob. some intermittent short lurking somewhere. Fluid filter still not replaced, but all the lights work again.

I do have the 955 tech manual, so I will just run thru the entire hydraulic rehab procedure...I was just curious if I could quick swap the filter.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
On the 955 or any other 55 series compact, you can expect to lose maybe 1/2 quart of oil when changing trans/hydraulic filter. To clean the screen you need to drain all fluid.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts