Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my 955 a few weeks ago and the only real problem or thing that's bad is the rear tires. I have chains on it so I can manage for now, but I hope to get some new ones for it. It has the turf tires which are 36x13.5x15. I've done a lot of searching and I don't see hardly anything available. Looks like Titan is about the only thing at over $800 a pair. Is there another tire at a better price ? Should I go to a JD dealer or would they be even more. Thanks guys. I love the 955 by the way !!

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
This might sound like a silly question, but why do you think you need different tires? snow chains bite like crazy, year round, and for blowing snow they will get more traction than any rubber tires. I'd see how it works first, and then think about different tires.

Reactions: JD4044M

·
Super Moderator
5,374 Posts
This might sound like a silly question, but why do you think you need different tires? snow chains bite like crazy, year round, and for blowing snow they will get more traction than any rubber tires. I'd see how it works first, and then think about different tires.
Those chains will chew up a lawn in a hurry though. I certainly wouldn't mow with chains on.

Reactions: JD4044M

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
:munch:4x4 or 2x4 ?

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
It might be cheaper to get a different size wheel to use with a similar height tire, something a bit more common in size.

For some reason I am thinking the 955 rear tire in the R4 variety is the same as the new 2025.
Maybe the turfs will work also with the correct wheel?

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Those chains will chew up a lawn in a hurry though. I certainly wouldn't mow with chains on.
the tractor came with a loader and snow blower, no mention from the OP about cutting grass. if he keeps the blower on for ballast, those tire chains will have enough traction for using the loader.

That said, i have an old 316 that has chains on it year round doesn't seem to tear up the grass any more than the other tractors.

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
403 Posts
Superfan75

What is it about your tires that are bad? Weather checking, worn, porous?

If you are going to mow with the 955, I would remove the chains.

If you are going to use the loader to engage dirt, you don't really need the chains; simply engage the 4WD, and then disengage so you don't wind up the front end.

I would ballast the rear end though regardless of whether you move dirt or snow.

Dave

·
Registered
470 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey guys thanx for all the replys. So the reason I eventually want to get some tires is that mine are almost bald. I do not mow with the 955, I have my 318 for that. My lawn is small and tight so the 318 is better for that. I'm going to be using the loader and snowblower mostly. Also for dragging trees which is what I've done mostly so far. I'm definitely open to a different width if it ends up being cheaper. As far as the tire chains I've left them on for the moment because I need all the traction I can get pulling the trees out in the woods. And yes my 955 has 4wd. I knew the tires probably wouldn't be cheap, but I was surprised at how few choices I'd have to choose from. I'll check out that eBay link. Thanx again everyone. Hopefully I answered all your questions so you can give me anymore advice you may be able to me.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
51 Posts
If you don't end up with new turf tires I just put a pair of 36x13.50-15 Super Swamper IROKs on my 955 and have a pair left over. They're 50% worn, but will still have better traction than the turf tires. Cheap....and I'm in NH. 20190712_183317.jpg

Reactions: superfan75

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
If you don't end up with new turf tires I just put a pair of 36x13.50-15 Super Swamper IROKs on my 955 and have a pair left over. They're 50% worn, but will still have better traction than the turf tires. Cheap....and I'm in NH. View attachment 695230
Lol, Super Swampers on a tractor, love it!

Are they the same height though, so that the gearing still matches up with the front axle?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Same advertised size, and probably pretty close to the turfs I have. If there is any difference in circumference, air pressure will more than compensate.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Sorry I haven't updated this post sooner,but I've been busy using the 955 digging up and smoothing out my old moto x track that I haven't used in ten years. I did end up getting the EBay tires and they are awesome. They are the same Carlise tires that were replaced on the front. I don't know how they could sell two new tires and rims for $240 a pair shipped to my door. They bolted right on and now I have good traction without running chains all the time !! I Thank everyone that replied to this post to help me !! I'll have to get around to post about a weight bracket that I built for ballast. Maybe I can help someone else like you guys helped me.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Sorry I haven't updated this post sooner,but I've been busy using the 955 digging up and smoothing out my old moto x track that I haven't used in ten years. I did end up getting the EBay tires and they are awesome. They are the same Carlise tires that were replaced on the front. I don't know how they could sell two new tires and rims for $240 a pair shipped to my door. They bolted right on and now I have good traction without running chains all the time !! I Thank everyone that replied to this post to help me !! I'll have to get around to post about a weight bracket that I built for ballast. Maybe I can help someone else like you guys helped me.

:ttiwwp:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts