Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was stubborn and wanted to go the route of a rear discharge deck. I couldn't find one for what I could a side discharge. My thoughts are since there is basically no reviews are as follows:
The side discharge keeps the radiator cleaner.
The rear uses a lot of the same parts but just enough is different that is can make you made if you aren't careful of you swap on the same machine.
On the side discharge ot spits grass to the right all of it. The rear spits some to the left due to the rotation of the blades.
The rear discharge is further to the rear of the machine then the side discharge which after going around a few trees mater. I liked the side discharge better on that.
The rear discharge you can do trees and other items from both sides.
The machine is narrower.
The belt gets less grass on it.
Safer if there is kids around.

I don't regret changing the deck but it was more costly and the diagrams didn't spell everything out. I didn't have all the foam for the radiator either when I started. Ask any questions if you want to know the difference as i have 2 years on the side discharge and this year on the rear. Takes around 1 to 2 hours to do my lawn 1 to 2 times a week depending on rain. I did one time on my mother's 72 inch deck
Too wide and scalping was an issue more then my 60 deck.

I compare to my 332 with a 48 deck. 4 hours vs 1. 2 if I take a lot of time since I am selling my place.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks for the update and sharing your experience. Does it seem as if it requires less HP to run the rear discharge deck than the side? Not that this is an issue with a 997 but I've often heard this as a sales pitch for rear vs. side discharge decks. Also how is the cut quality? Does the rear discharge disperse clippings as well as the side did?

·
Registered
731 Posts
So did you buy a complete deck or a "bare" deck and swap all the parts over? What was the cost?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bought the bare deck. Looking at part numbers the spindles were the same. My total cost was more due to the mower belt being almost torn through, lift chains and bolts worn through, deck wheels bad, foam radiator and air cleaner seals bad and deck idler pulley bearings bad. All told with all that I have around 3k into the deck and making sure the other parts are good. But I bought it with 3k hours doe $3k. So still a deal.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fyi, love it. Some items weren't listed on the deck like the baffles. And some where hard to figure out. But I mn like it more then my 60 side discharge and my mothers 72 discharge. It does spit some grass to the left of the mower if going near an asphalt driveway. But it is nice to not worry about which direction I now now. And MUCH safer at around kids.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I assume its a 60"? I don't think they make a 72" RD. Do you find that it seems to take less HP when mowing deep grass?

I have an 84" rear discharge/rear finish mower and a 72" belly mount SD mower for my 2720 tractor and feel they use about the same HP due to the Rear Discharge mower not having to pass grass over to the side.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Does the rear discharge have the ability to adjust the scalp wheels? I have a 62 inch rear discharge on a 1550 front mower and it does not allow adjustment of the scalp wheels. It scalps all the time and it’s frustrating. It seems the 60 and 72 inch side discharge models have adjustable scalp wheels. I am thinking there must be a reason why they don’t adjust on the rear discharge model.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The small wheels on the side are adjustable but I don't think the center one is.

I don't notice it taking more or less hp to run. It is the smaller of the two deck sizes offered and it has one of the biggest engines for a zero turn. And we haven't had much rain to really get things growing.

The rear discharge was only offered in a 60 and I had a 60 side before. The front wheel frame which can be unbolted is different if you have a72 vs a 60.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts