Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.K, I have turned up an old 2-14 Case eagle claw hitch plow. The eagle hitch part is easily gotten around with newer CAT 1 pins installed for an updated hitch system. It was originally pulled by an early '50's SC Case tractor with the equivalent same amount of H.P as my 790.

A 2-14 plow behind a 790.... I got my thoughts on pulling such a plow with a 27 H.P 790, would like to know yours:question:

·
Registered
714 Posts
My thought is it will take everything it has but it will do it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you ToddM

I made a mistake stating the plow size though, it is a 2-16. I have no idea why I typed 2-14:crazy:.....

Case made a "BIG" 2 bottom and this one is one of them, a BER 2-16 eagle hitch model.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Older double bottom plow

I have a 790 and a 3005 and tried a couple different plows this last summer. I used an old pull behind JD double bottom with the 790. I found that letting it dig all the way down was really tough and could/did stall the tractor a few times. When I made a turn and pulled the rope to lower it back down and off the wheels I could adjust it's cutting depth and only cut in about 8" and that made it much more manageable. I used my neighbors single and double bottom that hooked on the 3 pt and it was much more manageable. I adjusted my depth of cut using the 3 pt controls and could run a double bottom at 8-12" cut without much problem. Burying the plows and going the full 16" on unbroken ground was not really possible. I had traction problems and needed to fill the rear tires and add more weight and then I was so heavy I was sinking in when it was wet. No happy medium. I ended up plowing one direction at about 6" depth and then when the whole pasture was done going cross path at about 10-12" depth. Twice the work. After that I drug the discs over it all the pasture looked like it was ready to plant lawn seed. Double bottoms with a 790 is do-able but take your time and adjust your depth to what the tractor can do comfortably. If need be..... Unbolt one of the plows and run it as a single bottom. It will pull that.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Thanks for the info, I have been contemplating which way to go myself next spring.

Jim

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What type of tires and ballast do you have? I think you may run into traction problems.
R-1, loaded rears, MFWD also

I was thinking like fuel hoser, watch my depth via 3pt AND if it came to it unbolt a plow... Not that I want too.

The concrete like clay around here most definitely posses a challenge:think:

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I can bury my 1-bottom 16" plow deep enough to stop forward motion on my 2520 and my old 40U. It wasn't even worth trying the 2-bottom because I could only go about 6" deep. The soil in my garden area is pretty loose now, so the 1-bottom generally doesn't get stuck anymore.

Oh, the 40U had ag tires, the 2520 has R4s. I think if I had a set of ag tires for the 2520 I might be able to run the 2-bottom through most of the garden. The R4s loose traction too easily.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts