Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having some minor tiling done and this showed up....

image.jpeg

Wiped out the mailbox getting the float in the driveway....

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Start of tiling. note they use a jd 6140m (i think) for loading tile to ripper and backfilling.
IMG_2700.JPG

·
Registered
11,771 Posts
:bigthumb:good thread here-keep ur pics a comin-ok. i guess they use GPS to see what height they have to bury the pipe at-huh.

i would love to see that operation at least once in my lifetime. from start to finish.:laugh:

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Looked what the ripper dug up; too big for my loader

IMG_2732.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The completed result; took them 2 hours....

IMG_2731.JPG

Everything is GPS controlled. Once calibrated, the operator pushes the start button on the computer screen and watches as the ripper moves along and lays the pipe. Of course, there are some operator assisted things to do (like cut the pipe at the end of a run).

·
Registered
4,990 Posts
Modern stuff!

View attachment 461442

Everything is GPS controlled. Once calibrated, the operator pushes the start button on the computer screen and watches as the ripper moves along and lays the pipe. Of course, there are some operator assisted things to do (like cut the pipe at the end of a run).
LOL, the last tile we had put in used something similar but the guidance was by putting rods in the ground and then using a transit level to mark the grade on each one. The operator just had to aim at each mark as they went along. Someone would pull the stake before the digging took it out.

It worked, just not as up to date as your rig. Come to think of it, that was 35 or more years ago and I'm not too up to date either.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
11,771 Posts
kadorken--so now this field u have laid this tile in--what do u have projected to, that it will make u more money--right to drain excess water-and to make the crop grow better -right!

like it will it do say 25% better yield-:dunno:i know a real wet field-at least u can get into it-and work the ground sooner--the hiles here where i live u never see this-down east -yeah-have seen it done while trucking down the road-but -never-never up close to watch it being done-and then go back to see the difference in the field.

now on u-tube-yes-have watched it from start to finish-and then some fellas posted the results-i think it is amazing the amount of water draining then. thanks for the pics-ok..who's moving that big rock?:munch:

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
kadorken--so now this field u have laid this tile in--what do u have projected to, that it will make u more money--right to drain excess water-and to make the crop grow better -right!
this field has never had crops since i have been here (25 years). it was small (3 acres), and wet. will be interesting to see yields compared to the field adjacent to it that currently has soya beans. intend to plant whatever is in adjacent field since access with equipment would be off that field (otherwise they have to run over the lawn). will level and plow once this fall and see what happens next year. likely corn will be planted

ok..who's moving that big rock?:munch:
i'll get the neighbors jd 6200 to try and move it. otherwise, a chain might work to drag it out.

thanks for your interest.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
LOL, the last tile we had put in used something similar but the guidance was by putting rods in the ground and then using a transit level to mark the grade on each one. The operator just had to aim at each mark as they went along. Someone would pull the stake before the digging took it out.

It worked, just not as up to date as your rig. Come to think of it, that was 35 or more years ago and I'm not too up to date either.

Treefarmer
20 years ago the dad of the contractor (and the contractor himself as a teenager) tiled our back field (55 acres) with that type of guidance system (laser levellers existed then to layout the rods but the trenching was dine as you wrote by aiming at the rods) and we put in CLAY tile (16 inch clay tiles) with a machine similar, but it had a trench cutter in front and the tiles were layed behind on a conveyor. an operator had to hand load the conveyor with tiles ugh.

this time it was the contractors son (crew foreman - 20 years old) doing this job...

2 guys and the equipment did this job in 2 hours.

i dont think anyone does clay tiling anymore (they are more efficient at moving water, but more expensive to put in)

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
1 - 10 of 10 Posts