Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled the leaf bagger and and deck off my tractor today. While I was putting the deck away, I got off the tractor to position the deck where I wanted it. All of the sudden, I saw movement out of the corner of my eye and discovered the 4110 starting to roll backwards down the hill towards the woods and gaining speed. :gaah: I absolutely refused to let this end badly. I ran as fast as I could and jumped in the cab (thank god I left the door open) like a Hollywood stunt man. I'm still trying to figure out if I forgot to put the parking brake on, or if it popped loose. :dunno: I am in the habit of setting the parking brake without thinking about it, so I'm just not sure why it would have been different this time. Anyway, I am chocking the wheel until I regain confidence in it. I am just hoping no one saw me in the process. There was a guy on TBN that had this happen a while ago to a small Massey and it totaled his tractor when it hit some trees. That's all I could think about when I saw it start to roll.

·
Administrator
17,316 Posts
On man close call! :eek2: Thanks for having the gut's to write about it...not sure I would have:hide:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,120 Posts
Erik, commendable write up, thanks. It may even save someone a tractor in the future, like me.

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
I had my B21 roll off a trailer when I forgot to set the parking break. Just stood there and watched it. Rolled off and came to a stop on it's own.

I wish there was some way to get these "life calibration moments" without performing a hydrostatic test on your cardio-vascular system. The cost of a brief bout of cranial flatulence can be astounding... :cray:

Saw a tow truck operator right an 18 wheeler and blow the stabilization. It went down a steep embankment backwards. Opps.

Pete

·
Registered
59 Posts
Let's say you didn't forget....but had one of those times where you may not have had the foot pedal pushed in far enough to hold the hand lever locked after pulling it!?

Regardless of which it might be....thank you Erik for the reminder to be diligent!

Nice word pic eepete...I now know where those brown stains under my beany came from...

·
Administrator
17,316 Posts
You know....

I have been thinking about this all day.

I just cannot believe how selfish you where not to have thought about getting us a picture or even a short video of the tractor rolling down the hill before you jumped in and stopped it.

I mean really, Randy is not going to happy about this at all-he may even you for a little while so you can :think: about this some.

Of course, just kidding

·
Administrator
20,366 Posts

I just cannot believe how selfish you where not to have thought about getting us a picture or even a short video of the tractor rolling down the hill before you jumped in and stopped it.

I mean really, Randy is not going to happy about this at all-he may even you for a little while so you can :think: about this some.
:drinks::lol::laugh::lol::mocking:

On a serious note, glad to hear you or your tractor didn't get hurt:empathy3:

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Of course, just kidding
You know I can't even remember to take pictures of planned projects. Lol

·
Premium Member
7,334 Posts
Let's say you didn't forget....but had one of those times where you may not have had the foot pedal pushed in far enough to hold the hand lever locked after pulling it!?
My 4200 does that, and I usually (keyword "usually") double check to make sure the parking brake actually engaged, and not rely completely on the idiot light.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Glad to hear it all turned out OK Erik.

I find I get myself into trouble like this when I am focused on the task at hand. Or being in a hurry, letting ones mind wonder when working with these machines is not very forgiving. Thank you for the reminder. :good2: Thank god it all ended well.

·
Premium Member
7,334 Posts
I find I get myself into trouble like this when I am focused on the task at hand. Or being in a hurry, letting ones mind wonder when working with these machines is not very forgiving. Thank you for the reminder. :good2: Thank god it all ended well.
And in my case fatigue can be added to Randy's list.

·
Registered
59 Posts
On the bright side... at least it wasn't a horse.

..why do we have to bring Toro in to this?

:banghead::rocket:

uummmm....sorry :flag_of_truce:

·
Registered
360 Posts
Like everyone else, I am glad you were able to stop it without damage to you, the unit or anything else. Makes me remember to adjust my parking brake. I have been letting that go for about 2 years now.:thumbsdown:

·
Registered
59 Posts
I thought Toro was a bull.

Oops, my dry humor has ruined me once again! Toro was also a WheelHorse....or the WheelHorse is a Tor....never mind....:hide:

·
Premium Member
7,334 Posts
Oops...I should have been clearer in my reference to Toro being a bull as seen in Looney Tunes.

Lamborghini tractors and cars use a bull in their logo too.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts