Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is from a friends AC 720. I am puzzled by the clutch anti-rotation method used(it's half-assed to say the least). However, I've seen the same set up in AC parts illustration,so it's the intended method.If the master link pin diameter matched the holes ,I wouldn't question the design,but I've never seen a m/link like that. Perhaps someone with AC/Simplicity experience can comment. This is the rear PTO unit.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,770 Posts
Just a guess but if it is just to keep it from rotating the play would not matter. The holes could have had the intentional play so the motor did not have to be exactly in a certain spot for the master link to be able to be hooked.:dunno:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
A/C PTO Clutch

Yes,once the slack motion is taken up,everything is 'good'-BUT,the mis-match in diameters between the pin and two arms allows the two components to rotate and slam apart when that slack is taken up,which causes the wear shown in the first pictures.The design isn't bad,the execution of it is....The wear can be greatly reduced by matching pin and arm diameters more closely. And that's easily done by fabricating two small bushings to slip over the master-link pins.......The bushings are mild.low carbon steel,same as the clutch arms;there's no point to hardening them,unless the arms were to b hardened also.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts