Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a gallon jug of Plus-50 II 0W-40 synthetic oil. I still have a wee bit left over in a gallon jug I purchased a year ago. They both have the same part number on the label (TY26664) but I noticed the following differences:

Old: black jug / black cap, CJ-4 / SM spec on the label
New: black jug / gray cap, CK-4 / SN spec on the label

It appears CK-4 is a replacement for the previous CJ-4 spec.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
The Diesel engine and lube industry updated the engine oil Spec recently to a new standard to reflect and compliment the use or EGR and DPF emissions systems. Supposed to make these green systems more effective and efficient while providing high quality performance with respect to engine lubrication.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
I don't know what is going on with Ford but they advise against using CK4 in the 6.7 Powerstrokes supposedly due to failure of wear testing. Everything I have read about CK4 states that it is an improvement in every area testing. Theoretically a far superior product.

·
Registered
8,008 Posts
I don't know what is going on with Ford but they advise against using CK4 in the 6.7 Powerstrokes supposedly due to failure of wear testing. Everything I have read about CK4 states that it is an improvement in every area testing. Theoretically a far superior product.
Usually there is a small print alternative certification that shows alternate certificates like older ones.

I have an 02 Allison transmission and it's not compatible with the current dextron 6. The previous certification is NLA but Allison released their own.

That's a rare situation by re formulation,but that were the also certification list matters

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Usually there is a small print alternative certification that shows alternate certificates like older ones.

I have an 02 Allison transmission and it's not compatible with the current dextron 6. The previous certification is NLA but Allison released their own.

That's a rare situation by re formulation,but that were the also certification list matters
They are allowing to continue to use CJ4 while supplies last. Of course they have a Motorcraft spec “WSS-M2C171-F1” that they feel is superior to CJ4 and CK4... I will have to shop online, stuff is almost $10 a quart at the dealer.

·
Registered
8,008 Posts
They are allowing to continue to use CJ4 while supplies last. Of course they have a Motorcraft spec “WSS-M2C171-F1” that they feel is superior to CJ4 and CK4... I will have to shop online, stuff is almost $10 a quart at the dealer.

I pay 7-10 a quart for my truck. It gets changed twice a year by season not mileage. It won't be why the truck dies.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts