Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm a firm believer in monitoring important info while driving. My truck has oil pressure, engine temp, voltage, tach, speedo, and fuel in the dash along with some idiot lights. Since my ECU has been confirmed to be reprogrammed via a scanner, I decided I needed the gauges sooner than later to make sure the tune isn't too hot for my intended usage.

The factory dash doesn't have much realestate for adding 2" holes, and adding the pods all over does a couple things I don't like: first, they attract attention! Cops love seeing a pillar gauge pod and seeing just how fast you're going or noticing that you have a signal out; they just seem that much less forgiving when you have the wall of light in front of your face. Second, they're distracting and hard to see through. The backlighting for pillar mounted gauges seems far less forgiving to me than if you put them somewhere else.

Some guys are putting pods up above the rear view mirror, and that's not such a bad idea, but that's a lot of screwing around to get mounted. It also shows up to anyone behind you unless you've got a trailer or a big load in the bed. Not so cool.

Then I stumbled upon the F650 lower dash panel(s). BINGO! There's an automatic transmission version which has a wall of space designed to be filled with switches and gauges, and then there's a manual transmission one that's only set up for a row of switches and a couple gauges (or maybe the air brake valve?). I went with that one because the bigger automatic one just seemed so out of place in my cabin.

The duplicolor vinyl and fabric paint isn't quite right, but this pic makes it more pronounced than it appears to the eye. If I ever care that they're not a perfect match, I can always spring for the more expensive factory match paint, but so far I'm liking this look. I painted my cup holder and trash hook to match, so the center of the dash is all the same tone. There's 3 different shades on the door panels and those are factory - so it's, well, just like a ford. :mocking:

I'll need to decide what switches I want to add to the space above the gauges, but I'm not in a huge rush on those yet. The hole doesn't bother me.

·
Registered
225 Posts
What engine? 7.3 or 6.0? What gauges did you get? Are you running a chip?

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a 2001 7.3 that should have forged rods.

Gauges are boost, trans temp, and EGT.

The previous owner had it tuned, put in a full 4" open exhaust, and who knows what else. I have no idea what programming has been done thus the need for the gauges before I start hauling my tractor.

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
Does that have rack and pinion steering. I have been wondering when they went to rack and pinion steering on the Super Dutys. My 2011 has it, but it is two wheel drive and I am not sure whether the 4wd's have it even now. The rack and pinion steering sure made a difference in driveability.

Dave

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rack and pinion doesn't work too well with a live front axle. Here in MN, we prefer our trucks to be 4wd. ;)

It's got recirculating ball hydro-boost power steering. I'm probably going to look into ram assist too. My Tahoe's much easier to pilot. Actually, every vehicle I've ever owned with PS (all but one, and it's a long list) has had better power assist than this thing.

·
Hey, I want a title too!
3,687 Posts
You may do a flush on the hydro if its whining loud. I did mine recently and it really helped noise & steering.

Was the usb put in by you or previous owner?

Sent using Jedi mind control.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The pump doesn't make any noise, and the brakes work great - it's just a ford and has heavy steering.

I put the USB port there. It's a Neutric bulkhead connector I got free at a convention about 12 years ago and has finally completed it's mission as part of my car stereo. :D

Speaking of... Google said I needed to park to skip down my pandora stations more than 15 channels. What the heck?? Android Auto is pretty slick for google nav though. I like not having to focus down on my phone while still getting the live mapping and directions.

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
I can tell you that the rack and pinion steering definitely does not feel heavy. It is a great improvement. I know they switched to rack and pinion in 2004 for the F150, but have yet to find out about the Super Duty.

Sent from my Sprint HTC One

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
12,506 Posts
Jim Timber--u mods never seem to amaze me, in what u create.:bigthumb:

Reactions: Old Cajun

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They never seem to? I guess I'll have to try harder. :D

I think you meant never cease, as in they don't stop. ;)

This one's all execution, as the Ford engineers came up with it.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I did have a little creative laying out to do for the gauges to line up right with 3 across. The dash comes with these 7/8" holes designed to work with the factory dash frame (that I cut to fit the right most gauge).

·
Registered
225 Posts
Huh, I didn't know they came like that. I have my gauges on the pillar. Now I'm in the market for an new HPOP. Mine is weak when the oil gets warm.

What make you think/know that you have forged rods?

·
Premium Member
10,067 Posts
I haven't peeked in the case yet, but my assembly date is 01/01, and they didn't switch to powder until June.
I don't trust going by dates, just because I've worked on some trucks with 2000 build dates that had PMRs.

Mine was built 03/01, I've never bothered to see which it has.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Actually, every vehicle I've ever owned with PS (all but one, and it's a long list) has had better power assist than this thing.
Interesting... With the exception of an '07 Mustang GT, every Ford I have ever driven (also a long list) has had very easy steering to the point it usually bugs me a little. My handful of Dodge Rams were even worse, but I haven't tried out any newer than an '02 3500. I wish my new ('07) F250 had LESS power in its power steering. I don't really like a truck you can drive with one finger on the wheel.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts