Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering.. When you guys start your tractors.. Do you have your throttle all the way down at idle, or do you start it with more throttle than that?.. Next.. When you're done mowing and put your machine away.. Do you turn the height control to install so the deck is sitting flat on the floor or do you leave the height set where you like it and just lower the deck to that point and forget about it?.. I've been turning mine to install and letting it sit flat on the floor.. Figured I was taking the weight off of the arms etc and that it might be better for the machine in the long run.. Wondering if it really matters or not.. Thoughts?..

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I start my tractor on idle, give it a few seconds then bump it up just above idle for a minute and then off I go.

As for the deck, I always put it in the full up position when I finish cutting and leave it there. Dropping it to get the weight off isn't a bad idea but probably unnecessary

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I always start & stop at idle & just leave the mower height set at my mowing height.

·
Super Moderator
4,886 Posts
I throttle back to about 1200 RPM, idle there or a few seconds and then shut down.

I don't have a mower on the tractor but I guess if I had a mechanical lift I wouldn't worry about it. If I had a hydraulic lift I'd probably drop the mower deck to it's lowest point.

On my D160 mower I leave the deck all the way up. It doesn't hurt anything to leave it there and there is less chance of me forgetting to lift it before I start moving.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I start and stop the motor at idle speed. I usually remove the mower deck after mowing because the next job involves work where the deck would be in the way or I just don't want to carry around 240 lbs. of dead weight.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Start and stop at idle speed, let it sit for about 30 seconds, the set it to desired RPM and go get dirty. I don't mow, so I can't answer that.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Start and stop at idle. I let it warm up a bit at idle too. Heck, if I'm not working it hard, I tend to do everything at idle (except mow and other pto work).

I always lower the deck to the floor when not in use. If it's on the floor, it can't fall if there is a failure of the locking mechanism if I didn't quite set it right (and I did have it happen once when it slipped off the cam because it wasn't fully in the lock position).

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,198 Posts
Think that pretty much covers it. :morning2:

·
Registered
338 Posts
Just wondering.. When you guys start your tractors.. Do you have your throttle all the way down at idle, or do you start it with more throttle than that?.. Next.. When you're done mowing and put your machine away.. Do you turn the height control to install so the deck is sitting flat on the floor or do you leave the height set where you like it and just lower the deck to that point and forget about it?.. I've been turning mine to install and letting it sit flat on the floor.. Figured I was taking the weight off of the arms etc and that it might be better for the machine in the long run.. Wondering if it really matters or not.. Thoughts?..
I start and stop at idle. The Manuel says "start at "1/2 to 3/4 speed" but I don't like that. I do move the throttle to about 1/3rd to warm it up.

I put my deck down to where I mow.

Phil

·
Registered
196 Posts
Cold start

Up here in NW Wisc in the cold months, Oct - Apr. I start at lowest throttle setting on my 1026R
& walk away for 5 - 10 minutes & let it warm up slowly.

A couple of diesel mechanic friends have told me the WORST way is to fire it up & rev it up or take off & start working right away. The colder it is, the longer I let it warm up slowly, max of about 10 minutes.
One has worked at Bobcat for 30+ years & knows his stuff well.

I hope this helps! :greentractorride:

·
Registered
19 Posts
"I start and stop at idle. The Manuel says "start at "1/2 to 3/4 speed" but I don't like that. I do move the throttle to about 1/3rd to warm it up."

I had to go and pull out my manual to see, but yea it does say 1/2-3/4 before starting. Yikes !! Not sure of the logic there. I would think that would cause more lubrication problems than anything firing it up that fast while its trying to get oil pumped through the bearings. ?? I start mine at idle, well I turned the idle down to 1200RPM, so i may bump up the throttle just a tad before start up but not 1/2 throttle.

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
"I start and stop at idle. The Manuel says "start at "1/2 to 3/4 speed" but I don't like that. I do move the throttle to about 1/3rd to warm it up."

I had to go and pull out my manual to see, but yea it does say 1/2-3/4 before starting. Yikes !! Not sure of the logic there. I would think that would cause more lubrication problems than anything firing it up that fast while its trying to get oil pumped through the bearings. ?? I start mine at idle, well I turned the idle down to 1200RPM, so i may bump up the throttle just a tad before start up but not 1/2 throttle.
I'll catch hell for this but what your grand pap and father did in to mid 20th century is not how things are designed to work today in the new millennium.

Diesels need to be worked to warm up, ie more fuel. The longer it takes to warm up that longer the combustion is incomplete, the more junk ends up in the oil. I would run a synthetic engine oil and follow the manufactures recommendations for starting. I would allow for enough time for engine to come up to a temp where is is running well and get it moving going light work, driving around and using the hydraulics will help to spread the warm oil around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
It feels like the right thing to do to warm up slowly but there is logic to warming up quickly.

In John Muir's "How to keep your Volkswagen Alive....." he advocates putting the engine under load right away to get it up to operating temperature as quickly as possible. I think he's right. Yet still I generally don't do it that way.

·
Registered
3 Posts
can't give a definitive answer why but I know on our newer excavators the manufacturers (CAT, Komatsu) tells you to start the machines at mid throttle and then immediately turn down to low idle to warm up. I think it has something to do with getting the oil pressure up quickly.:dunno:

·
Premium Member
10,934 Posts
Can someone give a solid definitive answer to this? After starting, so we go mid/high rpm idle to warm up or low rpm?
This is from the 1025R manual.

Starting

• Set hand throttle lever (C) to the 1/2-3/4 fast position.
  • Turn ignition key switch to the ON position.
  • Set hand throttle lever to the 1/2 fast position for 1 minute without load.
Stopping

• IMPORTANT: Avoid Damage! Do not stop engine immediately after hard or extended operation. Keep engine running at low idle for about 2 minutes to prevent heat build-up.
  • Adjust hand throttle rearward to set engine speed at low idle speed. Allow engine to idle for 2 minutes.
  • Turn key switch to OFF position.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
This is from the 1025R manual.

Starting

• Set hand throttle lever (C) to the 1/2-3/4 fast position.
  • Turn ignition key switch to the ON position.
  • Set hand throttle lever to the 1/2 fast position for 1 minute without load.
Stopping

• IMPORTANT: Avoid Damage! Do not stop engine immediately after hard or extended operation. Keep engine running at low idle for about 2 minutes to prevent heat build-up.
  • Adjust hand throttle rearward to set engine speed at low idle speed. Allow engine to idle for 2 minutes.
  • Turn key switch to OFF position.
A. Over my dead body! I'll keep cranking at idle and 30 seconds after start I'll move up to 1800rpm (sweet spot) for warming up. I don't care how good these new oils stick to cylinder walls after shut down. Just old fashioned stubborn on cold starts...

B. Did they forget one must turn the key past "ON" to start the engine...? Or will the engine start itself at some period after the key is set to "ON"? Mine has a "Start" position also." Must have been written by another half fast JD manual writer and "proof reader"!:laugh:

·
Registered
300 Posts
I guess when I say definitive answer, that's a stupid question, because everyone has their own answer to a degree. But I think that if there are enough engineers in the room, from all fields (mechanical, materials, etc) and have real life experience there could be a pretty good consensus.

Maybe JD, or Yanmar, have done thousands of hour comparisons where they simply compare stuff like this, that's the only way to prove theory.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts