Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You shared a youtube video but what are your thoughts on it?

I tend to have more faith in reviews by our members here than a youtube video from someone else.
My thoughts are exactly as in the video, because I made the video. ;)

I might be interested in using this as part of a winch setup for the trailer (house the battery and switch), anyone ever do that with one of these?

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
45,465 Posts
My thoughts are exactly as in the video, because I made the video.
I'm not in the market for one of those boxes but IMO that was a damn good video,very well done/made. (y)

·
Premium Member
1025r with Mauser cab.
14,690 Posts
My thoughts are exactly as in the video, because I made the video. ;)

I might be interested in using this as part of a winch setup for the trailer (house the battery and switch), anyone ever do that with one of these?
I have done that numerous times with various boxes, but not THAT specific box. I still encourage the use of a separate battery box with good tie downs for the battery within the hitch box as the tongue gets a fair amount of bouncing when using the trailer. Plus you can use the tongue box for other storage and not dead short the battery with a strap hook, etc.

I usually enclosed the wireless winch remote mechanism in the box as well out of the weather. In fact, I have even put the entire winch inside of those boxes and cut a access hole in the back side of the box for the roller head for the winch cable and hook.

Numerous ways to do it. When you put the winch in the box, you have to raise the box to the deck height and also anchor the box like you would the winch since its pulling the load.

Those tongue boxes are handy in numerous ways. Surprisingly, some are not nearly as water proof as one would think........

Reactions: driveshaft

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have done that numerous times with various boxes, but not THAT specific box. I still encourage the use of a separate battery box with good tie downs for the battery within the hitch box as the tongue gets a fair amount of bouncing when using the trailer. Plus you can use the tongue box for other storage and not dead short the battery with a strap hook, etc.

I usually enclosed the wireless winch remote mechanism in the box as well out of the weather. In fact, I have even put the entire winch inside of those boxes and cut a access hole in the back side of the box for the roller head for the winch cable and hook.

Numerous ways to do it. When you put the winch in the box, you have to raise the box to the deck height and also anchor the box like you would the winch since its pulling the load.

Those tongue boxes are handy in numerous ways. Surprisingly, some are not nearly as water proof as one would think........
100% agree on using a separate battery box. I planned to do that inside the box so I can put items on top of where the battery is. I'd like to keep the winch outside as to not totally take up the space, so my initial plan to mount battery/controls inside and then wire out to where the winch will be.

·
Registered
13,582 Posts
I keep my winch portable on a 2” receiver. I added a mount to my old trailer where it wouldn’t rub the ramp, but haven’t bothered on this trailer. I just chain it to the front rail.

The power cord has alligator clips and is long enough to reach the front of my truck if I don’t have an extra battery with me.

In winter the winch is stored in the truck toolbox, in the summer it’s in a small tote because it gets used as much pulling trees as it does loading tractors or fixing stuck situations.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
You shared a youtube video but what are your thoughts on it?

I tend to have more faith in reviews by our members here than a youtube video from someone else.
I see more and more posts of just a link to someone’s YouTube videos without any of their discussion or comments on the forum. Trying to get hits on their YT videos I guess.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I keep my winch portable on a 2” receiver. I added a mount to my old trailer where it wouldn’t rub the ramp, but haven’t bothered on this trailer. I just chain it to the front rail.

The power cord has alligator clips and is long enough to reach the front of my truck if I don’t have an extra battery with me.

In winter the winch is stored in the truck toolbox, in the summer it’s in a small tote because it gets used as much pulling trees as it does loading tractors or fixing stuck situations.
Do you have any more info on the 2" receive mount you used? I was thinking of going in that direction, but haven't look much into what's out there yet.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I see more and more posts of just a link to someone’s YouTube videos without any of their discussion or comments on the forum. Trying to get hits on their YT videos I guess.
:rolleyes:
That, and also to open up additional discussion on the box and winch setup that I'm interested in using.

·
Registered
13,582 Posts
Do you have any more info on the 2" receive mount you used? I was thinking of going in that direction, but haven't look much into what's out there yet.
Harbor freight, I think I got the fairleed there too.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I installed a similar sized aluminum tongue box. It sure got full pretty quickly, just like yours did. I wish I had super-sized. A tip for the future - put all the stuff you intend to store in a cardboard box, then measure the volume. Then buy a tongue box at least twice that size.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I installed a similar sized aluminum tongue box. It sure got full pretty quickly, just like yours did. I wish I had super-sized. A tip for the future - put all the stuff you intend to store in a cardboard box, then measure the volume. Then buy a tongue box at least twice that size.
There's a lot of room left in mine honestly, maybe it's an illusion, but I probably only have taken up a third of the box volume at this point. Of course, I'll lose quite a bit if I end up mounting a battery in there.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I cut the side mounts off one I had laying around and drilled it for mounting to the front rail of my car/tractor trailer. I used big grade 8 hardware. It's been there 15 years. Anything the trailer can hold it will pull up the ramps. I have a receiver only on the utility trailer for little stuff. Winch is portable between the trailers, tractor, or directly to any vehicle with a receiver hitch. My truck & tractor are wired with a plug in but I can also run it from a jump box.

·
Registered
105 Posts

Picked one of these up this week, a lot better than throwing my straps in the back of the truck or forgetting stuff when I take the trailer out.
My dump trailer came with a built in box to house the battery, pump, oil tank and room for straps, chocks, etc. I can’t imagine not having one on a trailer.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread
Automotive tire Wood Motor vehicle Gas Asphalt

Here's mine. I have my winch battery and remote control receiver in the box as well as the other normal stuff.

Reactions: thecause17
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.