Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll admit I'm a bit skeptical of this claim and did not make any attempt to verify it. This exhibit is found in the Agricultural Museum of Delaware in Dover. I highly recommend a visit if you're in the area.

Attachments

·
Administrator
18,295 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Somewhere in my photo archives, I have a photo of a Deere 40 or 420 that I took at Deere's Heritage Center in downtown Moline, IL. The tractor was a dark red, virtually IH red. There was a plaque there that stated that Deere would paint tractors special colors if specified at the time of order. In this particular case, the tractor was built for a county highway department, in Iowa if I recall.

I am somewhat skeptical on the claim on the sign, too. However, I can't confirm my skepticism with facts.

As an interesting and similar note...my grandfather farmed with mules up to WWII. But he needed a tractor. My uncle still has the letter that his father had written to the War Board, asking for permission to buy a tractor. His request was granted and he ordered a JD model A from his dealer. When the tractor arrived, it was painted the US Army olive drab...not JD green. I wish that I could find that tractor today.

·
Registered
12,066 Posts
Plowshare - JD History

I probably should have started a new thread for this, but are you guys familiar with "The Plowshare"? It is an electronic, quarterly publication about John Deere history. It is very interesting reading if you are interested in JD history. Hopefully, the link that follows will work. If it doesn't, let me know and I will try again. You may have to copy and paste.

http://www.deere.com/wps/dcom/en_US/corporate/our_company/fans_visitors/publications_multimedia/theplowshare.page

Back to the red John Deere tractors, I too have read that Deere, especially the Dubuque Tractor Works, would paint one any color the customer wanted. Like EquipmentJunkie said, I think most of them were for highway departments. This old Soldier, would love to get his hands on an Army OD John Deere tractor. I have seen pictures of either A's or B's armor plated for WWII. As I recall, they did not go into production. I was born after WWII, but the old tractors of that time are great.

·
Premium Member
7,919 Posts
CDOT used to have all there construction and maintenance equipment painted their specific shade of orange until someone woke up the brain trust and told them that costs the taxpayers extra money that no longer is readily available. There are plenty of Ford's and New Holland's painted CDOT orange here.

I notice Sunbelt Rentals has everything painted their unique shade of green. I wonder how much that costs them, and if it works as an effective form of advertising.

·
Registered
12,066 Posts
I read an article someplace, probably in a JD publication, that Sunbelt bought a number of pieces of JD equipment painted Sunbelt green. Can't remember where, if I can find it I will post a link.

When the custom color JD Lawn and Garden tractors came out in the 70's, they flopped here in NE Pennsylvania. I guess people like JD green and yellow. The 54 blade on my daughter's 318 is yellow, but the lower side of the blade quadrant is white. I suspect there might be a lot of white attachments now painted yellow.

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
41 Posts
My father bought a JD 120 L&G tractor in 1972 and it was painted the typical Deere colors. I remember asking him why he didn't get one of the Patio colors: Spruce blue, Barn red, Sun yellow, or Brady Bunch orange. I kind of thought that the patio colors were kind of hot...hot as polyester double-knit! He said that he wanted one that was green and yellow, like the bigger ones. I guess that a lot of other former farm kids were of the same mentality.

·
Registered
482 Posts
A guy I work with has a M that was originally red from the factory. It was originally sold to the Iowa Highway Commission. Precursor to the current Iowa Department of Transportation. I also heard stories from Green Magazine that there was a Highway Commissioner in Nebraska the loved IH tractors so they spec-ed red color and Deere came in lower and did indeed provide red tractors with silver rims.

Yes, It happened.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I probably should have started a new thread for this, but are you guys familiar with "The Plowshare"? It is an electronic, quarterly publication about John Deere history. It is very interesting reading if you are interested in JD history. Hopefully, the link that follows will work. If it doesn't, let me know and I will try again. You may have to copy and paste.

John Deere — The Plowshare

Back to the red John Deere tractors, I too have read that Deere, especially the Dubuque Tractor Works, would paint one any color the customer wanted. Like EquipmentJunkie said, I think most of them were for highway departments. This old Soldier, would love to get his hands on an Army OD John Deere tractor. I have seen pictures of either A's or B's armor plated for WWII. As I recall, they did not go into production. I was born after WWII, but the old tractors of that time are great.
My Uncle helped Paul Barnes of Perry Ia create the Armored A's. There is 3 guys that own the 2 tractors. The group of doctors procured the photos from someone who retired from Aberdeen Proving grounds. The photos were the only proof the tractors even existed. They knew the tire size and scaled all the custom pieces from that picture.

There is a NF with steel wheels mounted inside of the rubber tires. If the rubber was shot out it was still mobile. The WF was made with truck tires. Both were underpowered with all the armor and sank like rocks in sand. Tests proved to be a failure.

·
Registered
12,066 Posts
Interesting. There was a cut on Classic Tractor Fever a while ago that featured the two tractors. It was interesting and of course had lots of video.

Reactions: 44JohnDeereBR

·
Registered
754 Posts
Good friend of mine worked in Engineering at the tractor plant in Waterloo. He did a lot of special engineering projects, like scraper packages for articulated 4wd tractors. He said a large farmer ordered a couple gloss black tractors with lots of chrome trim. Big articulated 4wd and 1 or 2 FWA tractors.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I have never seen a Red 62 or L series John Deere.it is possible it was repainted that colour over the years or it was a experimental/test model possibly.It could have been a demonstrator model aswell but as far as i know John Deere did not paint their Demo models a differnt colour like Ford and IH did.John

·
Registered
2,843 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
I think most L's that have been found were typically LI's with custom paint codes or something other than industrial yellow. I think there have been red, blue, orange and i thought an olive drab, and maybe a brown have been found. there may be some non LI's painted different as well, but i think productions were lost years ago in a fire. i have an unstyled L and an LA, both with serial tags still on them, but they were regular ol JD Green and yellow.

·
Registered
366 Posts
My father bought a JD 120 L&G tractor in 1972 and it was painted the typical Deere colors. I remember asking him why he didn't get one of the Patio colors: Spruce blue, Barn red, Sun yellow, or Brady Bunch orange. I kind of thought that the patio colors were kind of hot...hot as polyester double-knit! He said that he wanted one that was green and yellow, like the bigger ones. I guess that a lot of other former farm kids were of the same mentality.
In the late 70's, early 80's my sister dated a guy who's father was the town doctor. He had a 112 Patio in Spruce Blue. I was amazed at the color and did not know that was a factory paint job. I thought he painted it. They bought it new and it was pretty beat up by time I first saw it. I find Patios very cool if they are restored but they are much uglier beat up than the green and yellow ones are in the same shape.

isaac

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm convinced - after thorough review - that my '49 Model A came from the factory in Lemon Yellow - likely for hiway dept use. The base layer of paint even in the starter box is faded out but is yellow, as is all other base paint, including the fenders.

·
Registered
12,066 Posts
I'm convinced - after thorough review - that my '49 Model A came from the factory in Lemon Yellow - likely for hiway dept use. The base layer of paint even in the starter box is faded out but is yellow, as is all other base paint, including the fenders.
Are you sure it's not primer? As I recall JD used some pale yellow color primer on older models.

·
Administrator
20,866 Posts
My '54 model 60 has yellow primer.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts