Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have this initial list of ammo I need to sell. I've marked the boxes/cases down, below retail I believe, to what I believe is a fair price. (Offers will be considered.)

For cases, I want to sell only full cases. For boxes, all of the boxes of a particular caliber if possible.

Shipping will be via UPS, signature required, at an added cost. (I waiting to hear from my Sales Rep to confirm my rates. I will charge you my cost.)

I can give you an estimate of shipping cost to consider. You would then need send me a USPS money order. Please check your local and state laws to be sure you're compliant. I will do the same but it’s impossible to know these ever changing laws across the country.

If interested please send me a PM with your personal email address and we'll continue communication that way.

Independence 5,56 x 45, 55 grn FMJ - 500 rnd case, 25 rnd boxes, 20 boxes/case
12 Cases @ $125/case

IMG_5683.JPG

Black Hills 357mag, 158grn CNL - 50rnds per boxes
8 boxes - $294

IMG_5682.JPG

Black Hills 45-70 405grn FPL - 20rnds/box, 200rnds/case
1 case - $305

IMG_5684.JPG

Black Hills 38-55 255grn FNL - 20rnds/box, 200rnds/case
8 boxes - $244
1 case - $305

IMG_5685.JPG

Black Hills 44 Colt 230grn FPL - 50rnds/box
3 boxes - $105

IMG_5686.JPG

Black Hills 44 Spl 210grn FPL - 50rnds/box
4 boxes - $140.00

IMG_5687.JPG

I can order Black Hills direct from the factory if you're interested full case in a caliber I'm not offering. Please see there website Black Hills Ammunition | The Power of Performance and I'll quote on a case. (I may be able to have the ammo dropped shipped to you to save us both some money . . . I haven't asked them so I'd have to check.)

·
Registered
11,482 Posts
Marlin---i have a kinda strange question for ya, that i have never thought of asking before.

how many yrs would say a case of these shells last? 5yrs, 20 yrs, would they ever go bad?

i always have found the federal 150 grain shells works really good in my 308 savages. yrs ago the Remington shells(brand new supposedly) got stuck in the chamber trying to inject them. so i switched to Federal then, and have had no problems from them since.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
If kept dry ,ammunition keeps for a very long time. As for how long I’m not really sure, but I’ve used some 30 -06 , 12ga, & 22lr that was 30 + years old that I got whe we cleaned out my grandparents house.

·
Registered
4,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Marlin---i have a kinda strange question for ya, that i have never thought of asking before.

how many yrs would say a case of these shells last? 5yrs, 20 yrs, would they ever go bad?

i always have found the federal 150 grain shells works really good in my 308 savages. yrs ago the Remington shells(brand new supposedly) got stuck in the chamber trying to inject them. so i switched to Federal then, and have had no problems from them since.
BigJim55 ~ I don't have any real experience and have never researched the subject . . . but, I believe if you keep ammo in a clean, dry area it should last indefinitely. In the house would be best, in a safe or steel lockable cabinet. I have some Russian spam cans of 5.45 x 39mm (AK74 ammo) in the garage. The cans are sealed and will last indefinitely. I also have ammo in my house and my shop which is clean, dry, and occasionally heated in the winter.

·
Registered
11,482 Posts
If kept dry ,ammunition keeps for a very long time. As for how long I’m not really sure, but I’ve used some 30 -06 , 12ga, & 22lr that was 30 + years old that I got whe we cleaned out my grandparents house.
i've got shells here that probably over 20 yrs old now. i haven't hunted now going on about 10 yrs. couldn't walk thru the woods with my bad knee, but now this yr i thought i might try it some. heck i haven't had any license for about that long either.

Marlin-i would be interested (maybe-might have sticker shock)in a box or case i guess of the 308's if ya could show me a price of them. i haven't bought shells for as long as i haven't hunted. but if u think they might last 20 to 30 yrs with powder in them ok. at least my boys would have shells for there life:laugh:

·
Registered
11,482 Posts
BigJim55 ~ I don't have any real experience and have never researched the subject . . . but, I believe if you keep ammo in a clean, dry area it should last indefinitely. In the house would be best, in a safe or steel lockable cabinet. I have some Russian spam cans of 5.45 x 39mm (AK74 ammo) in the garage. The cans are sealed and will last indefinitely. I also have ammo in my house and my shop which is clean, dry, and occasionally heated in the winter.
keep all my shells in gun cabinet(wooden one) but locked. in our bedroom. do have a few in loose ones in basement-but its heated. so then i should have no problems with my older shells(rifle, shotgun, and 22)

anyone tell me how much difference a 190 grain is gonna act, compared to my 150 grains? always hunted in the woods. but maybe will try for some wood chucks(groundhogs) while riding around later this summer.

please send me a price on em-marlin. thanks

·
Registered
967 Posts
On another site, there was a Reloading enthusiast with an original Cardboard Drum(?) of reloading powder that he uses... It was 40+ years old with no detectable performance loss. Read this a few years back and I don't follow that site any longer.

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
Stable temperature

It also helps if the temperature is pretty stable and not too hot. Higher temps tend to make powder break down over time, although I've fired reloads made with powder that was 30 plus years old and they worked as expected. I've also had powder go bad when stored in an unheated shed that tended to get hot in the summer. It gets an off smell and then it's time to use it to light a fire- outdoors of course.

One other mistake that I've made when reloading is to have just a small bit of oil on my fingers and pick up primers. I'm talking just a thin film on my fingers, not enough to really even notice. If you use the ammo in a reasonable time, it's fine but over a longer time the oil will deactivate the primers. If you ever need to kill a primer a small drop of oil inside will do it.

I've got a couple of shotgun shells from the 50s or 60s- paper hulls and I would bet they would still go off fine. They were in a friends basement when he died and his wife gave them to me. I don't really know how old they are but certainly that old. Properly stored, ammunition is very stable.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
4,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the list Marlin. Nothing I can use unfortunately...
coaltrain ~ What caliber are you looking for? I have my personal stash I that I may decide to slim down as I sell-off rifles later this year. :snipersmilie:

·
Registered
20,792 Posts
coaltrain ~ What caliber are you looking for? I have my personal stash I that I may decide to slim down as I sell-off rifles later this year. :snipersmilie:
Actually handgun ammo - .38 and 9mm. Specifically hollow point or defence type ammo. I rarely shoot my rifles anymore except for my .22’s.

After reading some recent posts about regular round nose ammo in carry handguns I realized I don’t have any self defence type ammo which I should have in these 2.

·
Registered
4,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Actually handgun ammo - .38 and 9mm. Specifically hollow point or defence type ammo. I rarely shoot my rifles anymore except for my .22’s.

After reading some recent posts about regular round nose ammo in carry handguns I realized I don’t have any self defence type ammo which I should have in these 2.

coaltrain ~ I own and often carry one or the other of those so the defense ammo I have in those calibers I will be keeping. When you're out on your travels sometime, stop at a gun shop, I'm fairly certain they will have them in stock. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
20,792 Posts
coaltrain ~ I own and often carry one or the other of those so the defense ammo I have in those calibers I will be keeping. When you're out on your travels sometime, stop at a gun shop, I'm fairly certain they will have them in stock. :thumbup1gif:
Yes, I am pretty sure they do. But I’ve been good and haven’t been in there for almost a year now. While I normally have complete control of my spending it just doesn’t work when I go in there....

Thanks anyway!

·
Registered
4,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i've got shells here that probably over 20 yrs old now. i haven't hunted now going on about 10 yrs. couldn't walk thru the woods with my bad knee, but now this yr i thought i might try it some. heck i haven't had any license for about that long either.

Marlin-i would be interested (maybe-might have sticker shock)in a box or case i guess of the 308's if ya could show me a price of them. i haven't bought shells for as long as i haven't hunted. but if u think they might last 20 to 30 yrs with powder in them ok. at least my boys would have shells for there life:laugh:
BigJim55 ~

Black Hills .308 Winchester Match 168gr Hollow Point retails for $32.99/20 rnds @ Cabelas, case of 200 - $329.90
Black Hills .308 Winchester Match 175gr Hollow Point retails for $34.99/20 rnds @ Cabelas, case of 200 - $349.90

:hide:

Both plus shipping.

:hide: :hide:

:gizmo: :gizmo:

If you want my pricing send me a PM for further communication via both our personal email accounts.

·
Registered
4,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, I am pretty sure they do. But I’ve been good and haven’t been in there for almost a year now. While I normally have complete control of my spending it just doesn’t work when I go in there....

Thanks anyway!

:lolol::lolol: You and me both . . . :lolol::lolol:

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
keep all my shells in gun cabinet(wooden one) but locked. in our bedroom. do have a few in loose ones in basement-but its heated. so then i should have no problems with my older shells(rifle, shotgun, and 22)

anyone tell me how much difference a 190 grain is gonna act, compared to my 150 grains? always hunted in the woods. but maybe will try for some wood chucks(groundhogs) while riding around later this summer.

please send me a price on em-marlin. thanks
190 grain bullets in say a 308 or 3006 will have more felt recoil and be slower as well as have different (sometimes very different) points of impact than a 150 grain bullet. I use 150 grain Winchester ballistic silvertips on deer in a 3006 and hand load 168 grain hornady sst in a 308. Either will make short work of a deer sized animal. I would consider bumping up to the 180 or 190 if I was going for elk or something larger to give me a little more penetration and kinetic energy.

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts

Thanks anyway!
Coaltrain I agree with you. When I found the firearm area in Rural King I went kind of nuts. Wife goes with me now when I say I am going there..
I gave up my Federal Firearm Liscense in 93 and did not even think of guns until last August then BAM. I am now grounded from there without my wife. :dunno::dunno:

·
Registered
4,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Coaltrain I agree with you. When I found the firearm area in Rural King I went kind of nuts. Wife goes with me now when I say I am going there..
I gave up my Federal Firearm Liscense in 93 and did not even think of guns until last August then BAM. I am now grounded from there without my wife. :dunno::dunno:

:lolol::lolol:

Yea, having your FFL and buying wholesale :gaah::gaah:, a killer. Now you know why I have probably a dozen Marlin rifles or more to sell and boxes and boxes of personal ammo. :laugh::laugh:

Missy manages the money now and if Missey ain't happy, no body's happy . . . my spending is on hold pending review after I sell ammo and firearms. :nunu::nunu:

And I'm such a sweet guy . . . :unknown::unknown:

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
:lolol::lolol:

Yea, having your FFL and buying wholesale :gaah::gaah:, a killer. Now you know why I have probably a dozen Marlin rifles or more to sell and boxes and boxes of personal ammo.
Just ask my wife and she doesn't know everything "we" have. :mocking:

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I may be interested in some of that 5.56.
What would shipping run to 58504?

As for how long it lasts, depends on how much you shoot! :lol:
That 500 rds can go away in a day easy.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts