Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As a new owner of a JD 1023e, I've been reading through a lot of posts here, particularly covering the oil, tranny maint./service schedules.
It "appears" to me, the largest quantity of fluid we will need to change out is somewhere in the 16 quart vicinity/capacity.
It came to mind that, instead of tossing $$$ at the Auto Zone/NAPA big-box stores to purchase fancy schmancy oil catch-pans, why not just measure from the ground up to the tranny drain plug, subtract 4" from that measurement, and cut down one of the plastic 55 gallon drums that most of us have laying around that's not in use?
Using a magic-marker, or white paint-stick marker, transfer the measurement from the bottom of the barrel and mark in 4 places, take some sheetrock tape, attach one end to the barrel on one of the marks, wrap the tape around the barrel and scotch-tape it in those 4 marks, then make enough marks at the sheetrock tape where the marks intersect each other around the entire barrel until you have enough marks to follow the "cut-line" around with a 4" grinder and a cutting disc attached to it.
When the final cut is completed, just clean up the frazzles of plastic on the fresh cut end with some #80 grit sandpaper, which will help eliminate any accidental cuts on your fingers/wrists, etc.....
I apologize for the long explanation, but, coming from an engineering background I've always taken the time to try and fully explain my thoughts precisely, so, I thank you all for bearing with me on my long-winded post.
Hope it's clear and helpful...... :greentractorride:

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,218 Posts
I need a picture of it working as I don't think a 55 gallon drum will fit under my 1026 as it might be to big around. :dunno::think:

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
Probably a good idea for most, but I can see me having oil all over me and everything else when trying to pour it up to take for disposal. Trust me, some days, all I have to do is walk by equipment, and I can look like "Pig Pen" from the comics.

·
Administrator
17,497 Posts
No reason not to cut a plastic barrel down to use, but I'm not sure "most of us" have one one laying around, I know I sure don't!

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,629 Posts
No reason not to cut a plastic barrel down to use, but I'm not sure "most of us" have one one laying around, I know I sure don't!
I store my used oil in a 25 gal plastic barrel until I take it to a disposal place.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Autozone, 15 Qt pan, handle and drain, $9.99. It's way to convenient for me to fab up something. Just lifting the thing, carrying to another pail and pouring it into the pail without spilling....priceless

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,218 Posts
Probably a good idea for most, but I can see me having oil all over me and everything else when trying to pour it up to take for disposal. Trust me, some days, all I have to do is walk by equipment, and I can look like "Pig Pen" from the comics.
Trust me FG we want pics for proof. You need to let us be the judge as to whether you look like pig pen or not. :thumbup1gif: Besides Gizmo2 isn't letting us see the pic he has of you dancing in the rain. :flag_of_truce::laugh:

·
Super Moderator
4,956 Posts
Autozone, 15 Qt pan, handle and drain, $9.99. It's way to convenient for me to fab up something. Just lifting the thing, carrying to another pail and pouring it into the pail without spilling....priceless
Most of those also make it very easy to find that dropped drain plug instead of searching around in 4" of oil hoping and praying. Not that I've ever dropped a drain plug... :laugh:

·
Administrator
20,464 Posts
Most of those also make it very easy to find that dropped drain plug instead of searching around in 4" of oil hoping and praying. Not that I've ever dropped a drain plug... :laugh:
You sir need a magnetic retrieval tool. Only a few bucks at your local tool supplier. :good2: Worth way more than that in "embarrassment fees." :lol:

·
Super Moderator
4,956 Posts
You sir need a magnetic retrieval tool. Only a few bucks at your local tool supplier. :good2: Worth way more than that in "embarrassment fees." :lol:
I've got a few of them. But swishing that around in a bucket of oil still means you have something else that has to be cleaned.

The $10 oil-change pan just makes it easier to deal with. It's also got a nice little holder on it where you can set your oil filter to let it drain.

I used one of these for probably 20-25 years:

il_570xN.613257174_o1mm.jpg

Now I use one of these:

DrainPan.jpg

·
Premium Member
14,372 Posts
I've got a few of them. But swishing that around in a bucket of oil still means you have something else that has to be cleaned.

The $10 oil-change pan just makes it easier to deal with. It's also got a nice little holder on it where you can set your oil filter to let it drain.

I used one of these for probably 20-25 years:

View attachment 33804

Now I use one of these:

View attachment 33805
I use one similar to your plastic one. I think it hold 15 qt maybe 16. I do know one thing. If you do transmission and then engine oil before dumping ,Oh what a mess . You can't get the drain plug back in fast enough, just saying. Can't remember if I had changed the engine oil a few mos before and I had forgotten to dump before doing hyd and engine oil again.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
I've been using these for oil changing since they were invented...

mortar tub.jpg

...but after seeing the nice (cheap!) plastic ones here I think I'll spring for one. All my plastic drums are still catching rainwater (why I don't know at this time of year).:laugh:

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,218 Posts
NOTE: (the part where I mentioned cutting the barrel down to a smaller height size, lol.
I believe I said to big around NOT high. :empathy3:

·
Premium Member
11,328 Posts
Nitrile gloves can be your friend.

·
Premium Member
11,328 Posts
I've had several drain pans and make-shift waste oil containers over the years. I finally found what I think is the perfect combo for anyone not having to drain or store over 5-gallons of oil.

I got both of them at Summit racing.

pan.jpg jug.jpg

The drain pan ($18) holds 4.5 gallons, more than enough for the fluids in my 2720. The pour spout is angled perfectly to pour into the jug without spilling a drop. The jug ($20) holds 5-gallons. The jug is one of the best made jugs I have ever seen. Very thick plastic, convenient handles, large O-ring sealed cap and an air vent. It makes it VERY convenient to take in to the local auto parts store and dump in their waste container. The see-thru plastic eliminates any questions about what you are dumping. It never spills a drop even if it tips over and your hands stay clean. It should last a lifetime.

·
Registered
8,452 Posts
I use one similar to your plastic one. I think it hold 15 qt maybe 16. I do know one thing. If you do transmission and then engine oil before dumping ,Oh what a mess . You can't get the drain plug back in fast enough, just saying. Can't remember if I had changed the engine oil a few mos before and I had forgotten to dump before doing hyd and engine oil again.
A kid who used to hang around our race shop and wanted to "help" took one of these plastic catch pans and started to dump the oil out of a Cummins Diesel pick up engine.

There is a clear / white threaded in drain plug on many of those on the very top in the center low spot where the oil enters the pan. This way when you are dumpingt it, moving it, etc. you don't slop oil all over.

Well, he forgot to take the plug out of the TOP of the catch pan and he pulled the drain plug out of the truck engine oil pan and WHALLA........Oil running everywhere BUT inside the catch pan. What a mess.......Then it turned out the catch pan was full anyway and so he would have gotten the same mess had he actually pulled the plug from the top of the catch pan.

Do you think it ever occured to him to put the drain plug back into the truck oil pan as Oil was running like a freaking pond all over the floor? When I asked him, his response was perfect. He said "Well, I didn't want to get any of the nasty oil on me or my shoes so I just left it." He let the entire oil pan empty all over the floor, while he kept backing away from the growing puddle and stared in amazement at "his accomplishment".

Of course, the reason the drain plug was in the top of the catch pan was because the pan was full......

I asked him, "Didn't the pan seem heavy when you picked it up and slid it under the truck?". Of course, his reply continued his complete lack of fundamental common sense. He said "Well, yea it felt heavy but I just thought it was made out of real heavy plastic".........

Of course the sloshing oil inside the pan when he moved it failed to trigger his " Hmmmm, maybe I need to do something else before I pull the trucks drain plug and dump 3 gallons of dirty oil all over the nice clean race shop floor......."

I also use a "open topped" catch pan which looks just like the plastic one in the lower picture but it has no top so the catch pan actually works a little better because there is no splashing or what happened in this story can't happen as you see precisely what's in the catch pan. I also like to look at the bottom of the catch pan when I am emptying it to check for any metal shaving or metallic signs in the fluids.

Now I use a empty John Deere JD20 Hydrostat Fluid 5 gallon pail with the pour spout for holding all of the oil to be recycled. It works great becasue it is designed to be carried with the nice handle and it has the extended pour spout with the thread on cap.

Since I purchase the NEW Hydro Fluid in the 2 or 2.5 gallon jugs, no chance of confusing the old nasty oil with the fresh hydro fluid for the next service.

Oh, we asked the kid to hang around at another shop which was closer to his home. I told him that way, he would be able to hear his mother calling for him when it was time for him to be home.....:nunu:

·
Registered
11 Posts
When I did my 50 hour service, I drove the front end of the tractor onto some car ramps. Then jacked up the rear and put some 4x4 cribbing under it. Perfect height to slide a 5 gallon bucket right underneath the tractor. The extra height also came in handy lubricating the drive shaft.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts