Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am buying a 2017 2032R and I seem to have 2 choices of tiller from my dealer the JD655 and the frontier RT1157 I am told these are the only 2 that fit the horsepower rating of my tractor.

The 655 is in stock but it is about 4 inches shorter than the width of the tractor, if I understand the specification correctly. I was told it is a commercial grade unit and they want 2800.00 for it.

The frontier RT1157 is a couple of inches wider and has an offset feature that I believe would alleviate the narrowness issue. BUT It isn't in stock and they say its about a 2 month wait and here is the kicker I would have to wait to take delivery of the tractor until then. It is $50 dollars cheaper but its seems crazy to make me wait for the tractor until the rototiller is in.

I sure dont mind waiting for the bits and pieces to come in but I want the tractor while I wait. Is that normal to have to wait for the whole package before I can get my tractor?

Anyway, I want the tiller purchase to be in the financing of the tractor so it seems these are my choices and the 655 seems to be all I am left with. Can you offset the 3 point hitch to one side a few inches to make up for the lack of width of the 655?

Any other ideas?

I wanted to add I am pretty new to these type of tractors and I have asked a couple of questions on this forum now and received great help :thumbup1gif: so Thank you I really appreciate it.

John

·
Premium Member
13,859 Posts
I am buying a 2017 2032R and I seem to have 2 choices of tiller from my dealer the JD655 and the frontier RT1157 I am told these are the only 2 that fit the horsepower rating of my tractor.

The 655 is in stock but it is about 4 inches shorter than the width of the tractor, if I understand the specification correctly. I was told it is a commercial grade unit and they want 2800.00 for it.

The frontier RT1157 is a couple of inches wider and has an offset feature that I believe would alleviate the narrowness issue. BUT It isn't in stock and they say its about a 2 month wait and here is the kicker I would have to wait to take delivery of the tractor until then. It is $50 dollars cheaper but its seems crazy to make me wait for the tractor until the rototiller is in.

I sure dont mind waiting for the bits and pieces to come in but I want the tractor while I wait. Is that normal to have to wait for the whole package before I can get my tractor?

Anyway, I want the tiller purchase to be in the financing of the tractor so it seems these are my choices and the 655 seems to be all I am left with. Can you offset the 3 point hitch to one side a few inches to make up for the lack of width of the 655?

Any other ideas?

I wanted to add I am pretty new to these type of tractors and I have asked a couple of questions on this forum now and received great help :thumbup1gif: so Thank you I really appreciate it.

John
I'm not sure you are being directly correctly, sounds like the dealer is covering their backsides. I know a County Line 60" tiller only requires 25 HP and are MUCH cheaper than green, and very rugged built.

·
Super Moderator
5,293 Posts

There is no real reason that the dealer can't release the tractor to you while you're waiting for the tiller to come in. My dealer delivered my tractor while we were waiting for my snow plow to arrive. They called me when the plow arrived and offered that I could either come pick it up or they'd deliver it the next time they were in my area. That was in June so I didn't care. I didn't need it until December anyway. But they delivered it in July.

Your dealer may not be willing to make 2 free delivery trips. Ask and find out if that's their issue.

You should be able to tweak the 3-point a VERY little. Maybe an inch or two. But that's about it.

If it were up to me, I'd go with the RT1157. Having the offset capability is nice if you ever have to work near a fence line.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
A 2032R should handle a 60" tiller with no problem. My old 2520 does. Are you looking for options from the dealer because you want to bundle implements for extra discounts or for financing? If so then your options are what they are. If not, then look for other brands. King Kutter, Behlen Country and others are all good and probably way cheaper than the dealer options. For reference, a 60" King Kutter for around $1500-1550.

As for them telling you that delivery of the tractor will be delayed until the ordered tiller arrives, that's just weird. Only thing I can think of is that they don't want to have to bring your tractor back to do initial setup, which really only amounts to sizing the PTO shaft. I'd tell them I'll do that myself so it didn't hold up delivery of the tractor. But I don't know what your comfort is for that type of thing.

Rob

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am currently trying to choose a tiller for my 2017 2032R as well, but since I already purchases my tractor I will probably end up getting a Woods or LandPride tiller as they are a lot cheaper. I have my wheels in the wide position without spacers and my tractor is 54 inches wide with R4s. So unless you are getting wheel spacers, both of those tillers will cover you tracks no problem.

·
Premium Member
1,370 Posts
I have the Frontier 65 inch tiller for my 2038. Bet it would work in yours. I would get one that at least cover your tire tracks. We got a couple guys with 1 series pulling 60 inch tillers. You can too.

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
I have the 665 on the 2038r. Yours would pull it as well. I would not mess around trying to offset it and you do want it to cover your tracks. Rototilling is not a high speed process and I would rather go a little slower or make a shallow and deep pass if needed vs not have it wide enough.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,283 Posts
Tell your dealer that if you can't get the tractor now and the tiller when it comes in they lost a deal and you're going somewhere else to buy. I'd bet their tales will change if they think they are going to lose a deal. Any tiller of the size you want will work on your tractor. Just make sure it's a CAT 1, iMatch compatible and cut the PTO shaft to size. BTW, the bigger the tiller the heavier they are. Get a iMatch if you haven't, it will make your life much easier. I have a 60" for my 1026R and it's a bear to handle without an iMatch for hooking up.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am currently trying to choose a tiller for my 2017 2032R as well, but since I already purchases my tractor I will probably end up getting a Woods or LandPride tiller as they are a lot cheaper. I have my wheels in the wide position without spacers and my tractor is 54 inches wide with R4s. So unless you are getting wheel spacers, both of those tillers will cover you tracks no problem.
That's good to know I was going by the book that says its 59" wide.

I was also thinking it would do the next size up if I took it slow so it sounds like I have options.

Thank you everyone.

John

·
Registered
619 Posts

I’m sorry but spending over $1000.00 more than you have to for a tiller so you can finance it doesn’t make sense to me.

·
Registered
234 Posts
If your not financing you u could look at a land pride I think mine is a rtr1558 started out on a 3038e my buddies 2520 pulls it fine a little slower than my old 3038 but fine I'm waiting to get it on my new 2038
It's cos is high but similar to what your dealer wants and I'd never own anything but a reverse tine
This is 8 yrs old hav a little seal leak after I loaned it out one time but otherwise haven't done a thing to it
Gardens food plots and landscaping it is very nice

·
Premium Member
13,859 Posts
It’s really as simple as this. You definitely want a tiller that covers your tracks, if you buy a tiller that is big enough to do so and not much more then you should have enough tractor to run it.
And tilling is a slow process anyway, if you start bogging down slow up and let the engine catch up.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I would recommend King Kutter or County Line 60”.
Don’t spend extra for financing and yet end up with something too narrow.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I would walk away from the dealers offerings of tillers. I completely understand the appeal of getting all of your equipment from one place and tied into one payment but there are a lot of excellent tillers available for less money. Unless your planning on tilling ground commercially, County Line tillers are really decent tillers for the money. But then again maybe I'm the wrong person to offer advice on equipment. I'd rather be beat to death walking behind a front tine tiller with a 3 horse Briggs engine than be at the dealers mercy for certain attachments. Even tilling commercially, I probably would still give County Line a try and see how well it holds up to some heavy use.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you and I agree. It was my hope and desire to get it all under the 0% financing but it seems pretty clear it would be better and less expensive to look at other brands.

Thank you everyone for your help I am learning a lot here.

John

·
Premium Member
13,859 Posts
Thank you and I agree. It was my hope and desire to get it all under the 0% financing but it seems pretty clear it would be better and less expensive to look at other brands.

Thank you everyone for your help I am learning a lot here.

John
Keep an eye on TSC around April, last year they had a sale on tillers, the 60” at one point was $1299 for the county line.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I'm not sure if you have a Rural King in your area but if so check them for sales as well.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
One more post on tillers from me, then I will rest for now:

1. Don't worry too much about tiller brands. Everyone here seems to be thrilled with their tiller, no matter what brand it is.

2. Look for '6 tines per flange' vs. '4 tines per flange'. You'll get 50% more tillage for each revolution of the shaft.

3. Pay attention to the 'drive mechanism'. Some are gear drive, some are chain drive. Common sense says that the gear drive is more reliable. However, I've not heard anyone mention that their chain driven tiller has died. ....so, maybe this really ISN'T as important as we might at first think.

4. Tiller cost/price does not seem to be related to their ability to do the job. The pricing seems to be all over the map.

5. Some folks are fans of the reverse rotation tiller. However, MOST tillers are forward rotation.

6. Make sure you get one that covers the tractor tracks. (at least as wide as the tractor). Offset tillers are a compromise, but make it difficult to finish a garden in some 'tight spots', especially if you want to till it in two directions.

7. Look for 'slip-clutch' instead of shear-bolt. You will hit things with the tiller. It is annoying to be replacing shear bolts for these incidents.

I hope you find this helpful.

Tim

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
670 tiller on 2032

I know this is a old topic. I just wanted to say I picked up a 670 on craigslist,
and my 17 2032 handles it fine.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Watch Rural King they will have sales on the KK, I have the KK 60” on a 2038r and do a lot of tilling, all good.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts