Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2020 1025R
813 Posts
If you have the deck up on it's side, why bother taking the blades off at all if you just want to sharpen them? Get a sharpening stone on a mandrel that's made for doing mower blades and let your drill do the work. That's how I sharpened mine at about 20 hours of usage. It took about 5 minutes to do all 3 blades on my 60" deck.

I used something like this which I believe I bought at homedepot.

https://www.amazon.com/Grizzly-Lawn-Gear-Sharpener-Attachment/dp/B07W3ZGQRN

Best,

·
Registered
2020 1025R
813 Posts
Impact for removal. Torque wrench for install.
In a previous life I was a mechanic for a long time. I can't say I'm anywhere close to the accuracy of a decent torque wrench by "feel", but I think I'm close enough for mower blades. :)

Yes, in a perfect world, you'd use a torque wrench for everything. I generally don't bother unless I'm working on an engine, brakes, or suspension components.

Best,

·
Registered
2020 1025R
813 Posts
Understood, but not impact for the install. Correct?
My 1/2" air impact wrench torques up to about 80ft/lbs on the lowest setting with my compressor putting out 150psi. So yes, I'd personally use my impact gun because I know how it performs. If you don't have that level of familiarity with your tools, use a torque wrench. :)

Best,

Reactions: bpop

·
Registered
2020 1025R
813 Posts
Not all of the blade is sharp! But I don't touch the blade(s) while the impact is Thwack-Thwack-Thwacking...
I have gloves on and just hold it on the dull edge. If you've got an impact gun, you just need to apply enough force to keep it from rotating...which isn't very much. But that's just me. To be completely safe, it's hard to find fault with a block of wood,rubber/hockey puck/etc to jam in there to prevent the blade from spinning. Better safe than sorry.

Best,

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.