Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2019 2025R with Loader, Backhoe, 54D Mower, Forks, Rear Snowblower, Box Blade
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My own version of a "poor man's Load and Go" set up has made it much easier to maintain my mower deck. As you all well know, you need to block a blade to prevent it turning before you can apply wrench force to remove or install it. With the mower deck hanging conveniently in a vertical position I was finding it frustrating to say the least to block a blade from rotating. Maybe it was just me, but 10/10 times I found blocks, blades and bolts on the ground trying to work this.

The problem of course is "blocking a blade" conventionally doesn't really work well with the deck vertical. The block (i.e., a piece of wood) you would typically lodge in there against a blade needs some pressure applied to it by the blade or it just falls out due to the laws of gravity. At least that is what was happening for me.

Hmmm.....

Well a few minutes of trial and error and a few pieces of scrap wood just created this little jig. Works a charm. I'm sure someone else posted this fix 10 years ago but I found it 10 days ago and I wanted to share.

Another little helper to make a necessary task a bit easier.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Sports equipment Wood

Automotive tire Grass Wood Bumper Tool

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Impact wrench?? It's what I use.
My tool collection is growing but not there yet. I'm sure that item makes it a breeze.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you have the deck up on it's side, why bother taking the blades off at all if you just want to sharpen them? Get a sharpening stone on a mandrel that's made for doing mower blades and let your drill do the work. That's how I sharpened mine at about 20 hours of usage. It took about 5 minutes to do all 3 blades on my 60" deck.

I used something like this which I believe I bought at homedepot.

Amazon.com: Grizzly Lawn Gear Lawn Mower Blade Sharpener Drill Attachment Kit Includes Free Blade Balancer Gloves for Power and Hand Drill Mower Blade Sharpener Lawnmower Blade Sharpener : Patio, Lawn & Garden

Best,
Agreed. With this new lifting capability, I am just bringing my angle grinder to the deck and doing it right there. This particular time I felt they needed a balance check so I took them off, and was happy to have my helper. For a quick 1-2 only with the angle grinder, I would just leave them in place and move on.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.