Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heres what I found when my 1993 Snapper quit on me last spring. The gear case grease turned color and packed solid into the aluminium case's casting viens and wasn't getting on the gears. I had to replace worn out gears and bearings on the left side and then I repacked both sides with new grease...

The right side gears weren't worn, I just cleaned it up and repacked both transmissions with 350 degree white lithium grease. I added grease zerks to the gear cases so every season I can add some fresh grease.

It's been working through all of last mowing season and this year a couple of times. It mows about 4-5 acres a mowing.

When I first called the outfit that was supposed to carry replacement gears the man on the phone told me they dont make the gears anymore.

I was unhappy because the machine runs like a new one and I had rebuilt it's 48inch mower deck just a few years back.

I left it sit for about month pondering my options, I was thinking about stripping it and send the rest of the machine to the dump...

I thought first I better call the gear outfit again and ask for another salesman and see what he says.... wouldn't you know the first salseman didn't know what he was talking about, the new guy said the other guy was wrong, they still inventory the gears so I bought gears for both sides just in case.

Come to find out the first guy I got hold of wasn't familiar with the transmission and last guy that knew the trasmission inside and out was on vactaion when I called the first time. so I lost about a month but saved 7 or 8 thousand dollars.

Moral of the story is always check with another sales person if you don't get the answer you looking for. :good2:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,065 Posts
Your mower is in darn good shape for its age. I'm surprised the gear case was factory lubed with grease, and not an oil bath type.

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Moral of the story is always check with another sales person if you don't get the answer you looking for. :good2:
I hear ya, I don't like taking no for an answer sometimes either. 2 and 3 sources on stuff like this is always a good idea. Very nice job on the repair. :good2:

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I hear ya, I don't like taking no for an answer sometimes either. 2 and 3 sources on stuff like this is always a good idea. Very nice job on the repair. :good2:
Thanks Randy, I found the the repair was fun and intresting, I had no idea what I was going to find when I split the case. I kind of wondered if springs were going to come flying out and small parts shot all over the shop.

My snapper dealer asked me to explain how I did the repair to him.. for he never has had one come in for this type of repair yet but sees the possibility of these type of machines starting to come to him.....so I typed out what I had found an what I did and included the same pictures, put them in a folder and gave him the information..

Another story: When I ordered the gears I also ordered 4 tubes of grease.. I didn't even think to ask what it cost, turns out each tube cost $14 for a 14 oz tube, which looks like Slick 50's One Grease to me, I know because I use it on my guns. I said to heck with that, I remembered in my travails to find the gears someone telling me to use white lithium grease, which looked like what was used in the first place . So I checked around and found a white litium grease that was rated at 350 degrees. I think I paid around $3.00 a pound for it.

After mowing the property I took my laser thermmometer and checked both transmissions, the one with the expensive grease and the one with the cheap white lithium grease, the temps were only a few degrees apart, 112 and 114 as I recall. Totally within the temp range of the much cheaper white lithium grease. :yahoo:

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
:laugh::laugh: Now you are training the dealer? I hear consultants get paid very well. :mocking: Looks like you will get another 20 years out of that machine now.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
:laugh::laugh: Now you are training the dealer? I hear consultants get paid very well. :mocking: Looks like you will get another 20 years out of that machine now.
It would be nice if I got a small break the next time I need parts for the Snapper or chains for my Echo chainsaws, but I don't expect anything.

I sure hope it will live another 20 years, I'm 65, my buying new equipment days are over unless it doesn't make sense money wise to fix it.

I just had to pay $650 plus instillation for a new Trane furnace blower motor Tuesday. It's a high tech fan motor they tell me, it has a module that provides infinite speeds .. naturally the warranty is one year past. :cry:

Like the old saying goes, you win some you lose some. :empathy:

·
Premium Member
9,065 Posts
I just had to pay $650 plus instillation for a new Trane furnace blower motor Tuesday. It's a high tech fan motor they tell me, it has a module that provides infinite speeds .. naturally the warranty is one year past. :cry:
The same thing happened to my Carrier furnace; but I got lucky as it happened shortly before the warranty expired. I wasn't going to be a real happy camper at having to spend $750 on a new furnace motor.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It sure was a surprise when he told me the price of the motor. there goes the money I was supposed to save by buying an efficient furance... I don't think I would ever buy one again...

·
Premium Member
9,065 Posts
I don't think there is anything magic about the motor itself, it's the blasted computer module attached to it that runs up the price.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't think there is anything magic about the motor itself, it's the blasted computer module attached to it that runs up the price.
mj he told me it's a 1/2 HP GE industrial grade motor, and they don't usually wear out. Well it did on my furnace and only a few months out of warranty. :cray:

The stupid module probably cost $5.00 to make, I don't need an infinite speed motor, I been thinking if it happens again I'm going to look into putting a regular two speed motor in it and add a relay. :yahoo:

·
Premium Member
9,065 Posts
Tackit:

It sounds like Carrier & Trane use the same GE motor as that is what mine is.

If you put in a 2-speed, please let us know how well it works considering all the other electronic circuit board doo-dads in modern(?) furnaces.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mj I was thinking for airconditioning you could hook a relay to the compressor so when it came on it powered the high speed fan...and when the furnace's small pre blower? comes on, it could be hooked up to drive the slow speed.

I'm thinking lightening took out the module.. I have a guy coming Monday morning to give me a price and explain his whole house lightening surge protector to me. it connects to the meter I was told.

·
Premium Member
9,065 Posts
Please let us know what the guy says about whole house lightning protection. We get a lot of lightning here in Colorado, and last year I had a nearby strike burn out the following items:

Computer speakers
2 out of 3 weather station instruments
Sleep Number bed compressor
Tractor alternator

Temporarily knocked out of whack were:

An old CRT TV
Motion detector switch in laundry room

For some reason I think I've spaced out some items. The furnace motor that puked on us was about 8-years ago.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
voter 23 I'll get the numbers tonight, sorry I din't see this thread earlier.

MJ the power company thing didn't work out, it wasn't what I was after.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.