Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figured I should start a separate thread to post updates to our pole barn that broke ground last week with excavation and ground leveling. Stats: 40x40x13 2 garage 11x12 doors and 16x48 attached gable 90 degrees turned from the 40x40 with 2 12x14 doors for drive through for the RV trailer.

So it has started.. Nothing to exciting today. A lot of 52" deep anthole mounds of the 18" and 24" variety. The company came out this morning with the skid steer and augered the footing holes and arranged for the footing inspection this afternoon, which I passed. Tomorrow at 7:00am the tractor trailer of materials and crew show up and I should have a framed out 40x40 by evening and then Friday the 16x48 framed out. Sheetmetal, doors and windows next week.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
It always amazes me how fast they can put these things up. Mine 30X40 was completed in less than 4 days. That was including drilling through rock in two poles. Watching your bulid. :munch:

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Day 2

Today started a little rainy. I ended up using my truck to pull out the semi out of the farm field across the street as he tried to exit. Pretty cool that he used his forklift to pick up the rear of his unloaded trailer and put it on the street so it wouldn't jackknife. Poles went up in the first 1 1/2 hrs and then squaring and pulins started going in. Then the rafter joists in the last 1 1/2 hrs of the day. Then finished off putting the poles in for the RV portion. They kept them out to get the large 42' rafters in with the jig arm they used off the front of their skid steer.

Attachments

·
Registered
993 Posts
Today started a little rainy. I ended up using my truck to pull out the semi out of the farm field across the street as he tried to exit. Pretty cool that he used his forklift to pick up the rear of his unloaded trailer and put it on the street so it wouldn't jackknife. Poles went up in the first 1 1/2 hrs and then squaring and pulins started going in. Then the rafter joists in the last 1 1/2 hrs of the day. Then finished off putting the poles in for the RV portion. They kept them out to get the large 42' rafters in with the jig arm they used off the front of their skid steer.
Looks great!!!

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Come out for a visit Firemark if you want.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Day 3

It was a Friday and only a 2 man crew today, but they got the truss rafter up on the RV bay and purlins up on the walls. They'll be back on Monday. The weekend is going to kill me...
I was using the roller to flatten the ruts in my yard left from the semi-truck yesterday and the tracks left by the forklift and skid steer. The ground was soft from the rain the other day still and was able to roll most of it out.

Attachments

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So today I went to HD and bought 8 sheets of 2" 4x8 Formular 250 insulation board "pink" 25psi. Ripped them in 1/2 and put a 45 degree bevel on one of the long edges. I will start tomorrow afternoon digging down 2 feet along the skirt boards to make an insulated barrier to the slab and gravel base and below. Not the radiant floor set-up I had once dreamed of, but it will do. Just could not justify the layout of cash for it. I am only a weekend hobby person at times. Mostly just storing and weather protecting my gear and having some room to move about. The wife needs a clean room for her bee and honey harvesting equipment, that will be a 10x12 modular room that I have in storage disassembled.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yesterday I called 811 for NJ "Call before you dig" to mark out utilities that run to my home. Today I painted the white line for the proposed route for my natural gas line to the pole barn as it will be running close to my existing utilities for the home. The water and electric are going to run out of the home where there are no utilities, so I am good. The crew today finished up the roof purlins and started to box out the fascia and put up the trim to receive the vented soffits. They then started to install soffits. I usually take a progress photo, but I got home after dark. Guess it will be a sunrise picture tomorrow. I confirmed locations of the two service doors and where windows will be located and height. I flipped two windows around the outside post to the interior so they won;t be blocked by items I want to store up against the walls. The height was determined by the wainscotting and having shutters on the outside. I did not want the shutters to run into the two tone wainscotting along the bottom as they will be the same color. Would look really weird.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Day 4 and 5

Been a busy few days at work so it resorted to me working at night by work lights. I trenched 96 feet of dirt 4" wide and mostly about 1'-6" deep to install insulation board to make a thermal barrier for the slab. I am trying to reduce as much outdoor air contact as possible along the 40x40 perimeter. The carpenters have been busy putting in the garage door headers for the RV portion, installing facia and soffits around the structure and today started to install the roof and valleys on the front side. I have arranged for my 65 tons of clean 3/4" gravel to be delivered this Friday so that m excavator friend and I can start on Saturday or Monday to skid steer and compact 5" deep for the base of the slab. By Tuesday I need to use my backhoe to dig the electrical trench from the house out to the barn so my electric contractor can lay in the 4 runs of pipe (100amp service, return for future solar, utility CAT6 and coax), and one for future needs.) Inspection Wednesday, then I can backfill. Waiting for my plumbing permit to go through so I can trench for the natural gas and water. It's coming along, can't wait till about Christmas I hope. I got a great shot of the building from the roof of my house while I was hanging Christmas lights up the other day.

Attachments

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
One week later

A lot has happened. We have a roof, side walls, gutters, and compacted 65 tons of 3/4" stone 5" deep. Hopefully concrete by the end of this week and I trench Sunday for electric conduits to be run on Tuesday.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,996 Posts
very nice build . . . and it's coming along quickly.

I'm looking forward to 'finished' pictures . . . :munch:

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sunday afternoon project

Today I mounted the backhoe and went to town ripping up my yard for the electrical run. It pained me to tear up my patio walk, but I needed access for the LB's to drop down. I plan to run the conduits into my house under the deck as I did for the RV plug and 120v outlet I have there already. I then marked out a straight paint line using a mason string line stretched out from point to point. I started down 2 feet, but as I neared the pole barn I had dig down 4 feet because of the location of the pole barn and the fact I will be cutting back 2 feet of soil to slope down to the pole barn floor level versus the drop off I had from the excavation to get a level building site. I ended up keeping the seat forward on the 1025r and lean over backwards to use the controls for the backhoe. I was then able to dig, raise outriggers and crawl forward and drop outriggers and continue digging. Wish it had a creeper mode. One thing I did to make my trench nice and clean and level was to dig for 20 feet or so, then back up straddling the trench then drop the backhoe bucket down to the bottom with a slight bit of teeth and run forward slowly dragging the bucket and cleaning and pack/leveling the bottom of the trench. Works great and ready for conduit to be laid.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,371 Posts
Very nice ... Like the color combinations.:bigthumb:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts