Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this isn't tractor related and most shop projects are metal fabrication, so this is a bit off the beaten path. Here's a piece I finished the other evening, here's a little backstory. A very close friend of mine was recently diagnosed as an alcoholic, he has been through an in-patient treatment and is now participating in an out-patient program, and he's doing remarkably well with his own recovery.

Last spring I started sandblasting glass, anything from pub glasses, to retirement custom gifts and wanted to make him a gift that had meaning for him at this point in his life. He chose the content, and some may recognize it. He's expecting the glass, but not the frame. The wood I built the frame from is native black walnut that grew on his grandfather's farm; the same farm he grew up on. His brother (unbeknownst to my friend) hooked me up with the walnut. It is perhaps the hardest and most beautiful walnut I've ever worked with. I think it will be pretty special when I give it to him with lots of meaningful connections.

The glass is 1/4" thick with the letters sandblasted into to the back side in reverse. The frame is roughly 1.5"x.75" with a surrounding band that's about 3/16"x1". There's a piece of black foam board behind the glass, with a piece of black matte stencil vinyl sandwiched between the glass and foam board to make the letters pop. If he ever chooses a different color, it's easy to swap out.

I was pretty proud of the miters, I used my Kreg precision miter gauge, with a regular carbide blade. The stain is Behlen Solar-Lux, Medium Brown Walnut, with a few drops of dark brown trans-tint added to denatured alcohol. The top coat is semi-gloss Arm-R-Seal. The light glare is way brighter in the picture than in real life.

Part of me thinks it's too shiny, part of me likes it. I think it will be fine, the best part will be giving it to him.

Closeup of the miter

The wall hanging...(sorry for the glare)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,825 Posts
Looks NICE! You did a good job on it! I haven't had any alcohol in 32 years now. I love working with Walnut it just cuts so nice on my Robland K26 Cabinet Saw given to me from my Mother in Law. Her husband passed away and she knew I loved his equipment and gave me a bunch of it. Still working on my Wood Shop. http://photos.imageevent.com/willy/woodworkingprojects/large/DSCF3628.JPG
I have a bunch of Cherry Wood to last me a lifetime. http://photos.imageevent.com/willy/woodworkingprojects/large/DSCF3787.JPG

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks NICE! I love working with Walnut it just cuts so nice on my Robland K26 Cabinet Saw given to me from my Mother in Law. Her husband passed away and she knew I loved his equipment and gave me a bunch of it. Still working on my Wood Shop. http://photos.imageevent.com/willy/woodworkingprojects/large/DSCF3628.JPG
I have a bunch of Cherry Wood to last me a lifetime. http://photos.imageevent.com/willy/woodworkingprojects/large/DSCF3787.JPG
I too love walnut, it'll test your skills, it burns easily. That's an awesome looking saw! Mine is just a simple little Delta Contractors saw with a full cast iron top (no stamped steel wings).

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Looks good :bigthumb:

·
Registered
837 Posts
Very nice work. I'm sure he will appreciate it and the time you spent on it.

·
Premium Member
14,718 Posts
Great looking gift for your friend. :bigthumb::bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
840 Posts
That's awesome work 56nine, I would love to have something awesome made up for my wife for our home.

How'd you get into doing this?

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
That's awesome work 56nine, I would love to have something awesome made up for my wife for our home.

How'd you get into doing this?
That's a great question, and as it turns out a series of mashed together interests, spanning generations of wood workers, and self made engineers. I don't have the need to do lots of metal work, so I substitute in woodworking. This past spring I decided I wanted to make a glass etching set up...just because I was looking for an element to complement the woodworking.

Couple the flexibility of creating something no one else is doing, plus the ability to take a plain chunk of glass and turning it into a one of a kind piece of artwork; this satisfies some sort of inner zen quest. I know, it's cheezy...but it does keep me out of trouble!

If you are interested in something, I would most certainly be willing to talk with you. Fire me a PM and let's chat.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts