Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like everyone else I bought the generic receiver hitch from Northern Tool. Well, to my dismay, I was not happy with it. The big problem is once you have the hitch at the correct height the 3pt is not all the way up. This now provides the trailer tongue to be able to lift if the load becomes unbalanced. I gave away the purchased unit and made this one. It is way more versitile and safer.

Attachments

·
Administrator
21,271 Posts
Interesting idea...most people just use a check-chain to the drawbar to control lifting. everything I have towed/moved with mine has been tongue heavy enough not to worry about so far...here is a picture of mine I built years ago.

Attachments

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Administrator
21,271 Posts
Why would the 3 point hitch have to be up all the way? When I would move my boat, it seemed the lower the better?
There is no downpressure on the 3PH...so if the tongue weight becomes negative the 3PH will lift up and could cause the coupler to pop off or other problems.

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have experienced this with my dump trailer on occasion and am really glad I went this route. I still have all the adustablity and functionality I need. I just didn't like the idea of chains. I can now swap, very quickly, the dump trailer with other attachments (box blade) when doing dirt work. Works great.

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Good idea. The stuff I move has so much tongue weight I have never worried about that. I keep the front jack down on the trailer in case the front of the tractor comes off the ground...LOL...

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update

Well, after seeing other members Heavy Hitches and since I have newly acquired suitecase weights, I thought I would upgrade my receiver hitch by adding a couple of tapped bosses. Oh, and I freshened up the whole hitch with a fresh coat of JD yellow paint. Here is the new addition.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
I like the weights. Is that a stock Deere weight holder? I don't remember seeing one that takes 7 weights, seems like it's always an even number.... :confused:

Pete

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I like the weights. Is that a stock Deere weight holder? I don't remember seeing one that takes 7 weights, seems like it's always an even number.... :confused:

Pete
You are correct Oh Great Wise One, it is straight from Deere. It is the bracket for the front. I figured if I couldn't run the bracket out front in the winter (cause of the front quick hitches) I would make use of it out back. I will mount it up front in the good ole summer time.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Well, after seeing other members Heavy Hitches and since I have newly acquired suitecase weights, I thought I would upgrade my receiver hitch by adding a couple of tapped bosses. Oh, and I freshened up the whole hitch with a fresh coat of JD yellow paint. Here is the new addition.
I'm jealous of anyone who can fabricate things like this! I think in this case it is called "hitch envy"!

·
Banned
61 Posts
shop floor

Randy what brand of tooth brush do you use to clean your shop????? Amayzing! :good2::good2:

You are correct Oh Great Wise One, it is straight from Deere. It is the bracket for the front. I figured if I couldn't run the bracket out front in the winter (cause of the front quick hitches) I would make use of it out back. I will mount it up front in the good ole summer time.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I bought the Rural King/Northern hitch last night, came home to move my 28' racecar trailer and it lasted all of ten feet :thumbsdown:

Pissed I just spent all that money, I cut out the broken stuff with the plasma and welded a real 2" reciever hitch in its place and reinforced it to the frame.

Moved the trailer when I was done :tongue:

The northern is junk unless you are moving nothing, my 2520 barely lifts this trailer with the car in it, but does get the job done :thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
1,796 Posts
Interesting idea...most people just use a check-chain to the drawbar to control lifting. everything I have towed/moved with mine has been tongue heavy enough not to worry about so far...here is a picture of mine I built years ago.
I dig that homemade cable laying implement.

Reactions: BigJim55 and Kennyd
1 - 14 of 14 Posts