Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I had a load of screened fill delivered and this morning I set out to fill in the first of several low spots, this one being on a short steep bank. As I grabbed each bucket full from the pile and backed out onto the paved driveway I could feel the four wheel drive fighting my steering. Eventually I shifted to two wheel drive. Now you know where this story is going. I went over to the top of the hill to dump and slowly pulled forward and all of the sudden, off we go no brakes. Fortunately there was a nice little maple tree right in the middle that stopped me. I couldn't back out so I left the tractor with bucket still full in neutral, parking brake off, and got my pickup truck and tow strap and pulled it out.

A while later, thinking about what had happened I decided to test the braking in two wheel drive. With a bucket full and in two wheel drive on level ground I moved forward hit the brakes and stopped. Next I tried it a little faster and slid a ways with the rear wheels locked. That's when it came back to me and it's the point of this message. IN TWO WHEEL DRIVE THERE ARE NO FRONT BRAKES. DEPENDING ON WEIGHT, SLOPE, SPEED, AND TRACTION THE REAR WHEELS ARE PRONE TO LOSING TRACTION, which is the same as having no brakes.

I'm posting this as a reminder to others. I've gone through all the should haves twenty times, so I really don't need to hear them again. It was a short exciting ride that could have been much worse.

Signed,
Four Wheel Drive Forever

Tire Wheel Plant Tractor Automotive tire

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
If you had time or distance, you could have dropped the Ballast Box and bucket to slow down or stop. Again time and distance are the determining factor if it will stop in time. Also, I would keep the bucket a lot lower when traveling, I normally keep it about 6-12 inches above the ground.

·
Premium Member
2020 1025R, 120R, 54D
3,987 Posts
Glad you and the machine are OK.

Based on the pic I agree the bucket is too high if loaded. Those turf tires aren't helping you in the traction department either.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you had time or distance, you could have dropped the Ballast Box and bucket to slow down or stop. Again time and distance are the determining factor if it will stop in time. Also, I would keep the bucket a lot lower when traveling, I normally keep it about 6-12 inches above the ground.
Agreed, I was lifting it to dump. I travel with it barely off the ground.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Glad you and the tractor came out unscathed!

·
Premium Member
2,595 Posts
OP,
Next time put your ROPS up and if you're doing ground work leave the machine in 4 WD. You might also think about some Versaturfs.

·
Premium Member
Early 2017 Vintage 1025R TLB (260/H120)
3,671 Posts
Thanks for sharing - We all can learn from these events when people are willing to share their moments that are not their finest. Glad you're OK.

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
Glad your OK Upset
How much rear ballast do you have? How much air pressure is in your rears? Are they filled? Is the whole hillside covered in loose leaves? Looks like your load in the bucket lightened your rear up when it went down hill and your traction failed. Get some more ass on those turf tires before doing anymore hillside work. Shouldn’t be skidding around at all. Even on flat ground. Not bashing just observing. Glad your OK and kiss that tree :oops: :)

·
Registered
450 Posts
Do what I do when making a turn on pavement or blacktop, stop and shift out of 4-wheel drive when making a turn on pavement or blacktop, after the turn shift back into 4-wheel drive. Turning on a hard surface when in 4-wheel drive will cause extra wear on the drive axle and also the front tires. Why? The tires are turning at different speeds and only one of them can grip the road while the other one skids on the pavement. The drive train is in a bind when this happens.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Glad you're alright! I'd have thrown it into 4x4 as soon as I realized what was going on. Maybe it was such a short ride you didn't have time?

Thank you for sharing this important reminder. Also yes, as the guys said above, you should have that ROPS up and seatbelt fastened when doing loader work, especially on a hill. You don't want to roll and end up pinned or killed under your machine.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Glad you're alright! I'd have thrown it into 4x4 as soon as I realized what was going on. Maybe it was such a short ride you didn't have time?

Thank you for sharing this important reminder. Also yes, as the guys said above, you should have that ROPS up and seatbelt fastened when doing loader work, especially on a hill. You don't want to roll and end up pinned or killed under your machine.
I should have had the ROPS up. I always wear my seatbelt.

The ROPS is a pain in the ass, especially with a bad shoulder. On the left side I actually rest it on my head to get the pin it. Right side I can manage. And my tractor won't fit in my shed with it up. But yes, it should have been up.

Why doesn't somebody invent a hydraulic ROPS actuator?

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
When anything ever happens, remember to keep a cool head. I remember when our first child was born she stop breathing my wife freaked out and I took over. Working on power lines and some deep scuba diving you just don't panic. Glad you're ok.👍

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Glad your OK Upset
How much rear ballast do you have? How much air pressure is in your rears? Are they filled? Is the whole hillside covered in loose leaves? Looks like your load in the bucket lightened your rear up when it went down hill and your traction failed. Get some more ass on those turf tires before doing anymore hillside work. Shouldn’t be skidding around at all. Even on flat ground. Not bashing just observing. Glad your OK and kiss that tree :oops: :)
Ballast box is full of 3/4 stone topped by two 50 lb. bags of concrete. Tires are not loaded and I keep them at 20 lbs. Back in the day we had a small fleet of trucks and my father was a fanatic about maintaining tire pressure, and it's carried over to me. But of course fuel economy and tread life really aren't a factor for the mileage we put on a tractor.

Reactions: driveshaft and Kbar

·
Registered
2015 1025R
137 Posts
@Upset264
Thank you for exposing a bit of humility here so we can be reminded our activities and surroundings require a mental check list prior to rushing into it... I believe there should be some appreciation that you are exposing what would be classified as an embarrassing moment since you were not hurt. You didn't have to post this, but there will be many who will appreciate it and not post their comment. "The Silent Thank You's". The comments of "Should have's" or "Should have not's" come with the territory as you already identified yourself.... but thanks for posting this reminder for everyone. I'll continue to watch my surroundings.. which ultimately is your message here.

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Rops up been said
When Rops up seatbelt on not said enough
Things that would help
Versa turfs mentioned above
Loaded tires same
Wheel spacers….must have on any hilly property
How my tractor is set up
Even then I have to take a safety/ procedure meeting in my mind every time I use either tractor
Thanks for posting

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Rops up been said
When Rops up seatbelt on not said enough
Things that would help
Versa turfs mentioned above
Loaded tires same
Wheel spacers….must have on any hilly property
How my tractor is set up
Even then I have to take a safety/ procedure meeting in my mind every time I use either tractor
Thanks for posting
Recently put wheel spacers on 3”. You can see in photo I think.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
@Upset264
Thank you for exposing a bit of humility here so we can be reminded our activities and surroundings require a mental check list prior to rushing into it... I believe there should be some appreciation that you are exposing what would be classified as an embarrassing moment since you were not hurt. You didn't have to post this, but there will be many who will appreciate it and not post their comment. "The Silent Thank You's". The comments of "Should have's" or "Should have not's" come with the territory as you already identified yourself.... but thanks for posting this reminder for everyone. I'll continue to watch my surroundings.. which ultimately is your message here.
Thanks. I thought about not posting but then I thought others need to be aware of the issue of braking in two wheel drive. We all need reminders from time to time.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts