Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
JD 2320 with FEL:

... so, I built this "Man Box" out of an old pallet and plywood... basically, we carry it around on the artillian forks and use it for yard cleanup... and sawing down high branches... I get into the box with my chain saw and my son lifts me into place as I stand in the box... the reach is great and cutting down the low limbs is a cinch.

We recently cleared some brush and I wanted to cut down a couple of low limbs in the recently cleared area. So, I got in the box and my son drove me in... the ground is soft and he raised me up... I told him to drive me in closer.

My son said "Dad, I don't like this, the ground isn't stable enough". I told him to keep getting closer to the tree. And then it happened, we started to go over... I don't really know why or how we swung back, it could have been due to the fact that we had the York rake on for ballast and the wide rake caught something... but just like that, we swung back to neutral.

I apologized to my son for not believing him... and explained to him that it was my stupid "get it done" attitude that almost got the both of us hurt.

Many obvious lessons learned in that instance. Be careful, trust the operator...

·
Administrator
17,316 Posts
Thanks for sharing, it's stories like that makes us all think twice sometimes.

·
Super Moderator
7,916 Posts
Sometimes lessons are learned the hard way. In this case you were both damn lucky. It doesn't pay to take chances with equipment and people. Always think ahead and pay attention to ballast, attitude and stability. Work safe!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the replies... agree 100%.

The bad actor element in our almost accident was my confidence in doing the tree limb routine 1000 times... and trying to get it done before the day ended... the ground was newly cleared, so it was soft. It was the first time on that type of terrain.

Subcompacts are light, and have to be strategically driven and placed with load. Our property is hilly so we are constantly adjusting the load to compensate for safe running.

Scared the hell out of the both of us... the one upside is that my son is a lot more careful now... seeing his first almost accident up close...

·
Registered
11,415 Posts
It is good that we continue to post accidents and near misses. They are learning tools for everyone. We all learn from them and thankfully no one has been injured. Scared enough to have to change shorts maybe, but not hurt.

Don

·
Premium Member
7,515 Posts
You posted this in: Forum Help & Suggestions. I think the "Suggestion" (besides to be safe) is the Forum NEEDS a SAFETY section.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts