Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Looking for a regular cab, long bed F150. Maybe a 2008 to 2010 with about 50-75 on the clock & not all tore up. They almost don't exist & what is out there is generally white & put out to pasture from a commercial fleet all beat up. My son in law is a used car dealer & every week he goes to the biggest auction we have down here, & nothing of any value shows up.

I'm not even going to put 10k on a year, so it's stupid for me to buy new. I need one to haul building & landscape materials for a number of home projects. It's not going to be an every day driver so investing into one at the high end is a waste of money. However I don't want to buy something falling apart & killing me on repairs. I've looked all over. It seems that a regular cab, long bed is as rare as finding live dinosaur eggs at the local zoo. I'm getting bummed out.

:banghead:

·
Super Moderator
5,198 Posts
I don't think that problem is limited to the F150 either. Finding a used regular cab truck of ANY brand that wasn't a commercial vehicle is like pulling hens teeth.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Even new reg cab 1/2 tons are hard to find. Almost have to be ordered out. On the used market, don't rule out 3/4 & 1 ton trucks. If you don't make a lot of miles mpg shouldn't matter much, plus a 3/4 ton will handle more weight.

I don't understand why anyone would want a full size truck with a box shorter than 6' 6" myself. But, they sure seem to sell a lot of the things.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Trucks used to be owned by people that -needed- them. Now, they are owned by people that -want- them. I fall into this latter category, like I suspect most private owners do now. I do not need a truck. But, when I need to haul something, I want that flexibility. Period. So, I'll give up the full length bed and replace some of it with cab space because at current day's prices, it needs to do dual duty between hauler and family vehicle.

Such is the way they've gone, and now the regular cab models are largely put into service as commercial vehicles. I used cars.com to search in my area (75 mile radius) and found plenty of trucks that would fit the bill. Well over half are 3/4 or one ton (as already suggested) and almost NONE of the 1/2 ton options are Ford's.

·
Premium Member
12,721 Posts
Interesting... I recently commented to someone about all the 4-door short-bed pickups on the road. It's like you rarely see a standard 2-door long-bed. Just the other day while sitting at a particularly long traffic light we made note of the pickups that went thru the intersection. There must have been 8-10 of them and they were ALL 4-door short-bed.

·
Premium Member
9,710 Posts
Todays 1/2 ton pickup truck is yesterdays station wagon.

Todays 3/4 ton, lifted diesel 4x4 pickup truck is the new age candidate for Sigmund Freud's compensation theory.

Funny, I remember a time when a lot of folks looked down on someone driving a pickup. Growing up I lived near a community that had an ordinance against parking a pickup on a residential street or driveway except for service vehicles.... Bet ya that place is covered up with high $$ mega cab monsters now!

As meburdick put it, having a pickup is handy, and at the cost of them plus tags and insurance, having one just as an occasional user is pretty high :gizmo:

Cars have also changed. Growing up my mother had a Buick Electra 225. That thing could haul or tow more that most of todays 1/2 tons. It was a tank. Todays pregnant roller-skates would have fit in the trunk.

If you really want to go looking for a needle in a haystack, try finding a good used one with a stick and without power windows, door locks, etc....:kidw_truck_smiley:

I have, and will likely always have a pickup truck. I use mine as a pickup truck. My first criteria is what can I do with it, amenities are way down on the list after tow capacity, storage capacity, winch capacity, gearing, limited slip....

I'm with you Maddog. Keep the faith.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,269 Posts
A few month's ago I was looking for a cab+(cab w/small rear doors for the extra room in the cab) with an 8' bed and it had to be a Ford. I found one, an F-250. It was sold the first day, I called the second day. I looked for 3 months and found just the one that was actually worth buying. Ended up with the F-150 Lariat with a 6'6" bed. I'll make do but it's not what I was looking for. I wanted an 8' bed so I could put a 4'x8' sheet of plywood in the bed and close the tailgate so I wouldn't have to tie it down. I didn't know they were so hard to find. I do have to say I like the truck I ended up with and the extra room in the cab holds all my tie-down stuff and seats 3 in the back.

·
Premium Member
12,721 Posts
meburdick put it, having a pickup is handy, and at the cost of them plus tags and insurance, having one just as an occasional user is pretty high
Yep... I bought a new 4x4 pickup back in '92 and it didn't get used for much other than hauling. As a result it sat in the driveway and rusted.

So I sold it and bought a landscape trailer that I tow with my SUV.

Way better! Not only does it haul more weight than the 1/2 ton P/U I had, it also only cost $1200, requires no extra insurance and license is only $6.00 per year.

Oh... and with the drop down gate it is way easier to load than the 4X4 pickup.

·
Registered
23,048 Posts
Yep... I bought a new 4x4 pickup back in '92 and it didn't get used for much other than hauling. As a result it sat in the driveway and rusted.

So I sold it and bought a landscape trailer that I tow with my SUV.

Way better! Not only does it haul more weight than the 1/2 ton P/U I had, it also only cost $1200, requires no extra insurance and license is only $6.00 per year.

Oh... and with the drop down gate it is way easier to load than the 4X4 pickup.
I've thought about this but I get concerned with a trailer being unused and rotting away especially if it has brakes.

Also need to have the pickup bed available just in case. Since our grocery runs take us at least 25 miles away and doctor appointments are either 35 miles or 90 miles, I need to know I can pick something up spur of the moment. Come across a yard sale or a super sale on something at a store we need to grab it and go - way too far away to go home to get the trailer and come back.

So the crew cab with 5.5' bed works out perfectly since I am done hauling construction materials. I have a waterproof tonneau cover that rolls up on my bed for all the coolers when doing a grocery run and all the rest goes easily in the rear doors. Even though it is a crew cab nobody has ever sat in the back. When you flip up the back seat the cargo area is huge (and nice and flat).

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,803 Posts
I've thought about this but I get concerned with a trailer being unused and rotting away especially if it has brakes.

Also need to have the pickup bed available just in case. Since our grocery runs take us at least 25 miles away and doctor appointments are either 35 miles or 90 miles, I need to know I can pick something up spur of the moment. Come across a yard sale or a super sale on something at a store we need to grab it and go - way too far away to go home to get the trailer and come back.

So the crew cab with 5.5' bed works out perfectly since I am done hauling construction materials. I have a waterproof tonneau cover that rolls up on my bed for all the coolers when doing a grocery run and all the rest goes easily in the rear doors. Even though it is a crew cab nobody has ever sat in the back. When you flip up the back seat the cargo area is huge (and nice and flat).
The boxes aren't short, 2.5 ft of it is enclosed. :thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
12,721 Posts

Agreed! Note I mentioned pulling it with the SUV. :) I only need the trailer for things that are too large, too heavy or too filthy for the back of the SUV. If I only had a regular sedan it would be different.

My trailer is 3000 lbs GVW so it doesn't need brakes in PA. My SUV can pull 5000 lbs (500 lbs tongue) so it's a good match.

Of course... I still sometimes wish I had a pickup with towing capacity so I could handle a trailer to transport my JD 2720.

Reactions: ColonyPark and Levi

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What really makes me look twice, & sometimes stare, is seeing a 110 pound woman throw out the rope ladder to get out of or into her F350 jacked up 2 feet off the ground. I often wonder how some people can afford this stuff. Drive around in a $70k dumb ass truck & have it parked next to the roached out mobile home with the trees growing thru the broken rain gutters, & the duck taped broken windows. Oh yea, lets not forget the rotted out bed sheets that are used as a substitute for the Martha Stewart drapery.

·
Registered
4,275 Posts
What really makes me look twice, & sometimes stare, is seeing a 110 pound woman throw out the rope ladder to get out of or into her F350 jacked up 2 feet off the ground.....
A little off topic, but your post made me think of this.... My daily driver is a Jeep Wrangler. I've got a small lift and oversized tires on it from when I used to take it off roading. Anyway, when you're into Jeeps you tend to notice other nicely built Jeeps when you're out and about. A couple of years ago SWMBO and me stopped by Best Buy. Pulling into the parking lot I noticed a nicely built, very lifted Wrangler. Glanced at it when we drove past it and then went and parked. We were talking for a few minutes before we got out of the car. While sitting there, I noticed a rather "rotund" woman walking across the parking lot. She got closer and closer to that Jeep and I was thinking "surely that's not hers since there's no way she can get in it!!" :dunno: Sure 'nuf, she walks over to that Jeep, opens the door, gets out a small step stool and climbs up in it! :lol: She had a rope attached to the leg of the stool and pulled it back into the Jeep once she had settled in!! :laugh: Sweetie and I just laughed - it was pretty funny to watch!!

Back on topic... I've been thinking about getting a truck myself but can't find one that's decent that's affordable. Like one of the earlier posters, I'd really like one with a "small extended cab", manual windows and a stick shift. Back in the mid-late 90's I remember seeing a bunch of "bare" F150's like that. I sure can't find them used now. So, for the time being I'm sticking with my 5x8 trailer with the 3500 lb axle. And that took me about 3-4 months of looking before I found a decent trailer worth towing home.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,269 Posts
What really makes me look twice, & sometimes stare, is seeing a 110 pound woman throw out the rope ladder to get out of or into her F350 jacked up 2 feet off the ground. I often wonder how some people can afford this stuff. Drive around in a $70k dumb ass truck & have it parked next to the roached out mobile home with the trees growing thru the broken rain gutters, & the duck taped broken windows. Oh yea, lets not forget the rotted out bed sheets that are used as a substitute for the Martha Stewart drapery.
You been visiting up here in east Tn.? :munch: :laugh:

·
Premium Member
10,067 Posts
Even some commercial outfits are getting away from regular cab trucks. Right as I was leaving my last job, they were rotating out the reg cab flatbed F-550s for crew cabs. We would pull the rear seat out and mount two drawer type cabinets back there for storage.

·
Registered
12,066 Posts
A little off topic, but your post made me think of this.... My daily driver is a Jeep Wrangler. I've got a small lift and oversized tires on it from when I used to take it off roading. Anyway, when you're into Jeeps you tend to notice other nicely built Jeeps when you're out and about. A couple of years ago SWMBO and me stopped by Best Buy. Pulling into the parking lot I noticed a nicely built, very lifted Wrangler. Glanced at it when we drove past it and then went and parked. We were talking for a few minutes before we got out of the car. While sitting there, I noticed a rather "rotund" woman walking across the parking lot. She got closer and closer to that Jeep and I was thinking "surely that's not hers since there's no way she can get in it!!" :dunno: Sure 'nuf, she walks over to that Jeep, opens the door, gets out a small step stool and climbs up in it! :lol: She had a rope attached to the leg of the stool and pulled it back into the Jeep once she had settled in!! :laugh: Sweetie and I just laughed - it was pretty funny to watch!!

Back on topic... I've been thinking about getting a truck myself but can't find one that's decent that's affordable. Like one of the earlier posters, I'd really like one with a "small extended cab", manual windows and a stick shift. Back in the mid-late 90's I remember seeing a bunch of "bare" F150's like that. I sure can't find them used now. So, for the time being I'm sticking with my 5x8 trailer with the 3500 lb axle. And that took me about 3-4 months of looking before I found a decent trailer worth towing home.
Thankfully, you didn't get pictures.:laugh:

·
Registered
31 Posts
It's been a few years but when I bought my Chevy 2500 extend cab witha full size bead, I had to order it. We couldn't find what we were looking for on the lot, or anywhere close.

Reactions: rtgt and Levi

·
Registered
754 Posts
My first pickup was a '74 Chevy LUV I bought fall of '78. Let's just say that soured me from Chevy, GM, and anything built in the far east. spring of '80 I bought a '78 F-150 SWB reg cab 4x4, 300-6, NP-435 4-SPD, NP- 205 cast iron T-case, Dana 44 frt axle, Ford 9" Traction-Loc rear axle with 3.55 gears. It had 27,000 miles on it when I got it, seven years later had around 95,000 miles and RUST was really taking over. I traded for an '87 I ordered out with all the same relative options except a Borg-Warner 1345 T-case was standard and an 8.8" rear axle. But I got all the extra chrome and heavy duty suspension I could get in a basic Custom or XL truck. Nine years later rust signs were peeking at me, 120,000 miles, so I ordered my current truck.

I shopped for over a year and about the 2nd week of March ordered a '96 F-250 reg cab long box 4wd 7.3 PSD, ZF 5-speed, 3.55 gears, rear overload springs, camper/towing package, and Alcoa wheels and started waiting the 13 weeks for delivery. I started shopping for accessories, like the all chrome 10" drop rear bumper made by DMI, class V tow rated, DeFlecta-Shield bug deflector, home made mud flaps, Fia winter front/bug screen. It came in to the draper on a Sunday morning, I saw it there about 3-4 PM Sunday afternoon. I called the salesman and left him a message about when I could get it. It had to go off site to Auto Armor for paint protect any & rust proofing. I also called the owner of Auto Armor who I'd talked to a couple times and told him my truck was in. Finally, Thursday night, June 27th, 1996 We picked my current truck up. 19+ years and 300,000+ miles later I still would not part with it. I semiretired it June of '05 with an S-40 Volvo 4-door sedan. I'd NEVER want a 4-door truck. It would look exactly like my car's back seat & trunk, full of " stuff". In 300,000 miles I've had one other passenger with me about 40-50,000 miles, two passengers about 8,000 miles, and about a quarter Million miles with just me in the truck. Never really had a need for more passenger capacity. I did haul our St. Bernard puppy in the bed after she out grew the back seat of the car. At speed she'd lay down right behind the cab and sleep, when I slowed down for a town or something she'd sit up to snoop.

Anyhow, my 19+ year old truck is in better shape than the '78 was in 1982, and better than the '87 was in 1993. And that's all because of the Auto Armor!

·
Registered
740 Posts
I feel your pain! I love a good, proper truck. There is just nothing that compares to the ability to haul anything, anytime, anywhere. I've had many different types and configurations of trucks over the years, but through it all I have held onto the old standard cab long bed that I bought when I turned 15. It is just plain simple and reliable. Tougher than nails too. She has certainly outlived anyone's expectations including my own. I'd buy another one like her in an instant if I could, but I agree that quality used trucks are hard to come by (especially in the Midwest) and new trucks are just too over-gadgeted to suit me. My old truck turned 500,000 miles last year, 30 years old this year, and I hate to admit it but I think shes finally wearing out. Sadly, I don't think she is worth saving and restoring (although I have certainly thought about it) and that means finding a new set of wheels... and like you said, that will not be easy.

I don't want a big cab, a little bed, a zillion buttons, low-profile tires, or a touch screen.

I want vinyl floors, a bench seat, a huge bed, and a big stick that pokes out of a hole in the middle of the floor to change gears.

Craigslist and auto-trader are good places to look. If you know someone who works at a local car lot, they can be on the lookout for you at auctions or keep you updated on trade-ins before they hit the lot. You'd also be surprised at what you can find for sale on the side of the road.

Reactions: Levi and rtgt
1 - 20 of 28 Posts