Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read several other threads where members have fabricated steps for their machines and I've been wanting one for mine. So I finally decided to see what I could come up with. When the MMM is on my 1025r I use it for a step getting on and off. But when the deck is not on that 20" step up is more than I really like.

When doing a project like this I try for 2 things:

1) The KISS principle.
2) Use whatever material I already have on hand as much as possible.

I don't have the backhoe sub-frame, so after checking underneath I decided the easiest place to mount something was under the FEL mount. I wanted a step that would be easy to take off if needed so decided to use a 1.25" trailer-hitch receiver tube as the mount.

Started with these, a receiver tube and 3 feet of 1" x 1/4" steel. I had the steel on hand, got the tube from Ebay.
p3.JPG

Cut the flat steel into the needed pieces with my ancient bandsaw.
p4.JPG p6.JPG

Drilled the needed holes.
p7.JPG

Welded it all together.
p11.JPG

A grinder and a little green paint improved the looks.
p12.JPG

Installed on tractor.
p18.JPG

I had originally thought I might just use a regular hitch insert without the ball for a step but after plugging one in that I had on hand as a test, I didn't like it.
p17.JPG

I decided it needed a bigger flat step area. Looked at buying a different one but found nothing that I liked any better than what I had, so decided to just make a step piece. Again, used the material I had on hand, some 1.25" square tubing and some 3 x 3/8" flat stock.
p20.JPG

Cut and welded these parts.
p30.JPG

I just guesstimated how low to make the step, hoping it won't interfere with the MMM. 'Cause at the time I did this the deck was stored in another building and I couldn't get to it to put it on because everything was so wet. So if it proves to be a problem I can take the step off when using the deck by just pulling a pin. But I have the deck on less and less anyway.

Dedided to paint this piece JD yellow for better visibility.
p22.JPG

Then decided some anti-slip material might not be a bad idea.
p24.JPG

This makes that first step about half as high as before, which my legs and knees really appreciate.
p26.JPG

p27.JPG

p25.JPG

·
Premium Member
2,795 Posts
I like that. thanks for the pictures. I like its removable. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Nice fab work.

Reactions: pcabe5 and spferdil

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Nice, wish I had the time and talent to make one. . . . Too many other projects but it's stored in the head for a winter build.:bigthumb:

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,283 Posts
Nice, great idea. :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
:good2::good2::good2::good2:

Definitely a thing of beauty. Well done!

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,123 Posts
spferdil, Good idea, Nice job. :thumbup1gif:
I like it.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Sweet step looks good and functional

Kind Regards,
mdgilbreath
1990 YJ Jeep Wrangler

1026R / H120 FEL with a WR Long Tooth Bar
Kens Bolt on Grab Hooks http://www.boltonhooks.com
54"quick detach deck
Frontier bush hog-2048
Frontier box blade-2048
JD - imatch hitch
25 Gallon 12 volt Sprayer County Line from TSC
3 Point hitch rig with a 2" receiver bar for sprayer
2" Ball mount to pull utility trailer[/QUOTE]

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
That looks great, and the color was a good decision!:good2:

·
Registered
447 Posts
And when will Ken's Bolt on Hooks be offering this add on?

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
Very impressive. I need to learn welding. It's a great idea to use the FEL mount for the step.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm interested to see if you're able to leave the step in place with you MMM installed. I don't like to step on the mower deck but going straight to the platform is a little awkward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Old Pa-pa
11,963 Posts
Well thought out, made mostly out of stuff you already had and gorilla strong!
Impressive:good2::good2:

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have the MMM back on my 1025r and thought I would update this to show that I have adequate clearance between the step and the deck. Good thing I guessed at this before building it, I probably wouldn't have gotten this close had I measured it beforehand.:laugh:

This picture shows the deck all the way up in Lock position. It raises higher than this to allow turning the height knob and then drops down onto the cam, where this picture was taken. I couldn't hold the lift button to raise it to max height and take a picture also, not enough hands. But there is probably a good 1/8th inch clearance at that max height.

side1.jpg

The picture shows that the step is actually lower than the guide bar on the deck.

This picture is looking straight down to show it clears the nut and bolt sticking up from the deck.

top2.jpg

One thing I hadn't really thought of is that with the deck on the tractor you have to be standing further away from the tractor before getting on since the deck sticks out a ways. So you have to step over the end of the deck to get to the step. This may take some getting used to but I still think it will be better than stepping on the deck.

top1.jpg

·
Registered
12,652 Posts
:good2:I think it's a great add on. and I know first hand how much a step does help. I don't think i could go back to not having mine on either. enjoy it.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Ken's Bolt on Hooks

And when will Ken's Bolt on Hooks be offering this add on?
Agree, Ken . . . What do you think? Could you offer something like this? :cowboy:

·
Administrator
18,527 Posts
Agree, Ken . . . What do you think? Could you offer something like this? :cowboy:
I'll do some :think:ing on it...
But there are a lot of parts to that design, and a lot of fabrication so what on the surface seems like just a "simple step" is really quite involved when you break it down to the manufacturing level.

Here is question for ya...What would YOU PAY for it?

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
But there are a lot of parts to that design, and a lot of fabrication so what on the surface seems like just a "simple step" is really quite involved when you break it down to the manufacturing level.

The step as designed is great. This receiver version has to be more expensive than a fixed version. Without checking materials and time I suspect a fixed version in the $50 - $75 range would work. Getting on the :greentractorride: is a chore at my age and physical condition. I believe this would be 'the cats meow!!'

Sign me up, call it your contribution to ADA. :thumbup1gif:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,123 Posts

The step as designed is great. This receiver version has to be more expensive than a fixed version. Without checking materials and time I suspect a fixed version in the $50 - $75 range would work. Getting on the :greentractorride: is a chore at my age and physical condition. I believe this would be 'the cats meow!!'

Sign me up, call it your contribution to ADA. :thumbup1gif:
May as well make it work for the 2 series also.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts