Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When using the new Artillian Front Hoe be aware that the Lock Keys can get "over-stressed". One of mine did and it fell off into my work and took a little bit to find again. To me it appears that the crimp on ferrule was not sufficiently crimped/staked and pulled off with use over time.

IMG_2618.JPG

I notified Chris at Artillian and he stated "That wire has been overstressed. Those lanyards are intended as a convenience. They are not designed for excessive loads."

"If you wish to restore it, the lost crimped end can be replaced with the following https://www.grainger.com/product/CLIMAX-METAL-PRODUCTS-316-Stainless-Steel-Shaft-36WY59?s_pp=false&picUrl=//static.grainger.com/rp/s/is/image/Grainger/36WY58_AS01?$smthumb$"

I have to believe there may be a better option out there than the $20.30 316 Stainless Steel Shaft Collar from Grainger recommended.

Any thoughts or suggestion??

Marlin :cowboy:

·
Registered
83 Posts
My frame and receiver hitch both pre-date the general adoption of the keys - the hitch came with the pins and clips used everywhere else on the tractor.
Since the keys were new, there wasn't a handy lanyard for them, stanless steel or otherwise, so I used a *long* wire tie and looped through the keys and the receiver frame.
All are still present and accounted for (as least as of last friday when I had to move a trailer).

·
Premium Member
12,142 Posts
The photo doesn't really show what we are looking at. Do you have the Front Hoe mounted upside down? Can you show the other side so we can see what a good key is supposed to look like?

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
There doesn't appear to be anything wrong with the key, it's the metal rope/wire used to secure the key to the attachment when it isn't installed. The crimp failed. The key is the gold looking piece of metal in the round hole if you are not familiar with them. It looks like a T when you have it out of the hole.

I think that is just part of the deal if you use the attachment as you should. Sometimes things happen but it is impressive you got the wire to strip out of the crimp like that. :bigthumb:

Good thing you were able to find the key. I don't think you are going to find anything like that a TSC as a replacement.

·
Premium Member
12,142 Posts
I'm still trying to figure out what you did that caused this? Did the small loop of wire get snagged on something while you were using the implement?

You can get a whole bag of replacement crimping loops from Amazon for around $5. While they are designed to be used with a swaging tool to secure them, they can be crimped by alternative methods if needed. Heck, put double crimping loops on the wire end if needed.

crimp_loop.jpg

·
Premium Member
12,142 Posts
I stripped one too, if we are talking about the same thing. It's not hard to do.
It looks like maybe some slightly larger wire rope may be in order... and double crimp loops to boot.

·
Premium Member
5,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The photo doesn't really show what we are looking at. Do you have the Front Hoe mounted upside down? Can you show the other side so we can see what a good key is supposed to look like?
Yes, upside down. This shows the termination . . . The wire is through a hole then crimped on opposite side. Always retained on the Front Hoe.

IMG_2642.JPG

·
Premium Member
5,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There doesn't appear to be anything wrong with the key, it's the metal rope/wire used to secure the key to the attachment when it isn't installed. The crimp failed. The key is the gold looking piece of metal in the round hole if you are not familiar with them. It looks like a T when you have it out of the hole.

I think that is just part of the deal if you use the attachment as you should. Sometimes things happen but it is impressive you got the wire to strip out of the crimp like that. :bigthumb:
Yea, my belief is also that the crimp failed. See the picture, the lead of the failed is the same length of the good key meaning the crimp failed.

IMG_2640.jpg

I'm still trying to figure out what you did that caused this? Did the small loop of wire get snagged on something while you were using the implement?
:unknown: Your guess is as good as anyone else. :unknown:

·
Premium Member
12,142 Posts
Yes, upside down. This shows the termination . . . The wire is through a hole then crimped on opposite side. Always retained on the Front Hoe.
Ahhh... thank you for the detail. I would loop the wire through that hole and secure with one of the crimp loops. That will allow the crimp to be secured to two thicknesses of wire and remove the stress from the crimp itself.

crimp_loop1.jpg

·
GTT Vendor
1,534 Posts
It looks like maybe some slightly larger wire rope may be in order... and double crimp loops to boot.
There nothing wrong with the product. This is a case of improper use. The system is plenty strong for what it is intended to do, which is serve as a retainer for the key so it doesn't get lost when not in use. If someone rips it apart, which takes significant force to do, they have not used it properly, for which we are not responsible.

Have a nice day.

·
Registered
3,930 Posts
There nothing wrong with the product. This is a case of improper use. The system is plenty strong for what it is intended to do, which is serve as a retainer for the key so it doesn't get lost when not in use. If someone rips it apart, which takes significant force to do, they have not used it properly, for which we are not responsible.

Have a nice day.
There was something wrong with mine. The crimp connector was loose and it was easy to pull out. You can blame me, but it is what it is. My others are fine. It was a QC issue.

·
GTT Vendor
1,534 Posts
There was something wrong with mine. The crimp connector was loose and it was easy to pull out. You can blame me, but it is what it is. My others are fine. It was a QC issue.
I was referring to the original post. Yours is a different product, different components and process. The grapples are much more difficult to assemble. If you had reached out, we could have helped.

·
Premium Member
12,142 Posts

Have a nice day.
Hi Chris. I did not mean to imply that there was anything wrong with the product. I was only suggesting that if the manner in which the user was using the product was resulting in broken retaining cords that perhaps replacing it with a larger diameter would eliminate the problem.

·
Premium Member
5,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)

Have a nice day.
While I'm sitting on the :greentractorride: using the Front Hoe I was able to "rip it apart". . . I don't think so. I suspect if it was in fact 'ripped' the small wire ends would not be all the same length. Mine are the same and the lead is still the same length . . IMO the retaining tip was not staked properly and came off. :unknown:

Front Hoe Wire-1.jpg Front Hoe Wire-3.jpg

Since Artillian claims no responsibility . . . . I'm looking for another option to holding the hoe in place other than by these keys . . . a nut and bolt or locking pin of some sort. :unknown::unknown:

·
Administrator
20,677 Posts
So you're saying that it's impossible that you snagged the lead on something while using your implement? I see impacted dirt and scratches on the hoe right next to the lead. That's very indicative that it was buried in the dirt. If it were to catch on a root while you moved, pow, there goes the lead.

·
Premium Member
5,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So you're saying that it's impossible that you snagged the lead on something while using your implement? I see impacted dirt and scratches on the hoe right next to the lead. That's very indicative that it was buried in the dirt. If it were to catch on a root while you moved, pow, there goes the lead.
No, I'm no saying that, :laugh: anything is possible. . . . I'm just looking at the "objective evidence" and drawing a reasonable conclusion. I believe it failed, others may not. It doesn't make a difference as I've raised the caution flag and owners should check their setup often and ensure the Key is still attached and not in the dirt someplace. I was fortunate to notice and find mine Key right away. I'm really looking for ideas for a better, more secure locking device. . . . :laugh: they're out there. :laugh:

·
Registered
293 Posts
Really?

Tell me what stress the wire/crimp connection was under when it "broke." Did you have a stress meter attached taking readings? No? then you don't know what caused the break.

It's very obvious to me that you have no idea what caused the break and are just assuming it's a manufacturing/material defect.

A note to all; if you have a problem with any of Artillian's products just call Chris and I'll bet he'll work it out with you.

Steve

·
Premium Member
12,142 Posts
I'm really looking for ideas for a better, more secure locking device. . . . :laugh: they're out there. :laugh:
One solution is to go with Chris's original suggestion. You can get a 1/8" shaft collar from Home Depot for $1.05. Put two of them on the end for insurance.

Collar.jpg

Another solution is to drill another hole next to the existing hole and run the steel cable down and up through the new hole. You can then secure it with an aluminum crimp collar. Any force on the cable would just pull on the loop.

fastener.jpg

A third option is to keep the existing setup and replace the crimp-on with a short 1/4" bolt and assemble with Bolt + washer + wire end wrapped around + washer + Nylock nut.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
come on, guys. Artillian designed and built this thing, I would think he knows how it works and whats normal/whats not normal.:hide:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts