Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you take a look through these pics you will find a JD CUT. I have to say this sounds real nice but the practicality of it and the cost has to be enourmous. Also what happens when the electronics fail have to be replaced? I guess the snow wont melt and you will have all kinds of accidents. There are too many other things to consider with this as well. maybe I am not just open minded enough! I personally think we ought to go to flying cars before we think about replacing all of our concrete and pavement with these types of things.

Photos: A world with 'Solar Roadways' smart roads - TechRepublic

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
I could see where this would be handy in the city where the streets could be reconfigured for morning and afternoon traffic. It would also be really nice if in the event an Ambulance or a Fire Truck needed to get thru, the streets light up and direct people out of its way. Really the number of things you could do is limitless. I wonder what type of base has to be laid down? Also have to wonder what kind of wear you get out of each panel. The picture of the "Smart road" going out into the distance doesn't make as much sense as the city scenes. I suppose it would still generate power and melt snow. Very cool topic. It really makes the mind churn. I'm sure it would cost loads of $$, but how long would it have to produce power before it would cost about as much as concrete or asphalt.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
It may work just fine.:unknown: When you take in account of all the money saved by not having to plow and salt, the price may not be all that bad.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Just another one of those things featured in Popular Mechanics way back in 1938... which never happened, like personal car-planes, daily busses to Mars or non-itching wool suits. The dragging tailpipe analogy (along with every other dragging thing under vehicles) is right on. And as far as "lights directing motorists during emergencies", you can't even direct them now with electronic earsplitting sirens and massive arrays of LED flashing colored lights on a fire truck.

It always amazes me what comes from otherwise sharp scientific minds... when they are doin' smoke.:laugh:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts